Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Olympic Class: Ugly ugly ugly

Author Topic: Olympic Class: Ugly ugly ugly
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever since I saw the U.S.S. Pasteur on All Good Things, I kept thinking, that is the ugliest ship I have EVER seen. To me, it looks like a Daedelus Kitbash (ok, not exactly). It is said that this class is supposed to replace the Oberth Class ships. The main thing I found wrong with was its size. Too much metal wasted on such a ship for science missions. Medical missions I can believe, if such a ship was to take on a lot of casualties of war. And besides, the Oberth Class does a good job on such science missions, and ANY ship can be designated as a medical ship, such as the Miranda, Excelsior, Centaur, etc.

Ugly ship. That's all I have to say.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not THAT bad... The Top view is nice.

------------------
Lyta Vorlon: "Our great mistake. Our failing. And now your failing. The error is compounded."
Delenn: "What mistake?"
Lyta Vorlon: "The first one, the one from which all mistakes proceed: The error of Pride..."

-- Kalesh Naranek, Last of the Vorlon
www.orc.ca/~jheinbuc/

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, from the first time I saw it, I liked it. I like spherical "saucers"... :-)

------------------
"You're a looney."
-Graham Chapman, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the Olympic. Besides, Oberths are so old, they are LONG overdue for a replacement. They hull design probably can't stand up to Warp 7. Olympics have a heck of a lot more interior space inside of them for sensor equipment. I think Olympics are pure science, with a small handful converted to what I call 'Hope sub-class' medical ships. They are basic Olympics, but with the interiors different to fit more medical bays and storage facilities for medical supplies

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

Lindsly
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the episode "Inter..." (I don't remember the full title), Dr. Bashir mentions 25 hospital ships. If the Olympic Class is a hospital ship, this reference informs us that there at least 25 ships of this class.
IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another voice in favor of the Olympic class! Though I must confess I am rather easy to please...

------------------
"I'll turn everything around and confuse you. I'll fix it so you can't remember what was true."
--
They Might Be Giants

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Save the Olympic! I want to see one again.

------------------
Brain. Brain. What is brain? (Kara the Eymorg, "Spock's Brain")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

It was designed by Bill George (of excelsior fame) so it is ugly, but it has some werrry nize excelsioresque details (shuttlebay, impulse engines, bridge, saucer bot)

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most excelsioresque detail is surely the flat dorsal.
Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That doesn't mean that there are 25 Olympic class ships, though.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps