Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sovereign torpedo launchers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sovereign torpedo launchers
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many torpedo launchers has the Sovereign-class been observed to have? The Enterprise has the one up front, under the saucer...are there any others? Did we see an aft launcher in Insurrection?

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Grimlock: "You are creator?"
Primacron: "Unfortunately...yes."

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the specs I saw somewhere, there is a second forward torpedo launcher on the bottom of the ship, under the Deflector Dish section. I think there are aft torpedo launchers, but I don't remember where they are located, the last time I saw those specs was long ago.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was an aft launcher used in "Insurrection," which fired two quantum torpedoes. Unfortunately the view was back along the ship from ahead, thereby hiding their origin point. But it almost looked - since they were travelling upwards - like the tube might be located on the upper secondary hull somewhere, maybe on the rear of the saucer itself. . .
Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sov has the main launcher under the saucer, 2 launchers underside, near the deflector dish, and 2 more launchers mounted on the underside near the "cut out". These are clearly shown on the model, but whether we have seen them actually firing, I'm not sure. There was a discussion a while back about the aft firing torpedo seen in Insurrection, and someone said that the arc was wrong if it had been fired from the ventral aft launcher.....I'm not sure if that's true or not. But definately, the Sov has at least 5 launchers, 1 single and 2 pairs.
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I concur with Shipbuilder.

As I recall, there was some concern on the boards that the Captain's Yacht had displaced the saucer launcher. Thankfully the shown film allowed for the launcher to remain where it was, just above the Yacht's bow.

1+2+2

------------------
"...And Monty fans may like to know about these special books, available from all good bookshops..."

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at my model, one on top of the yadcht, a twin pair bewtween the deflector and the phaser strip, and another pair where the tractor beam was on the D.
Sidewinder
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for Sidewinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
However, in Insurrection, it appeared the forward quantum launcher also doubled as the captain's yacht...

------------------
There's a lady who knows, all that glitters is gold...and she's buying a stairway to heaven.

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the yacht was docked directly below the torpedo launcher. It was at an angle, so the launcher would fire properly.

------------------
Risk is our business! That's what this starship is all about....that's why we're aboard her!"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there any screenshots available of the yacht being released?

------------------
Brain. Brain. What is brain? (Kara the Eymorg, "Spock's Brain")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hardly, unless someone has a pirate video copy.
The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*coughs*

http://jupiter.dgne.com/etc/yatch1.jpg

------------------
Lyta Vorlon: "Our great mistake. Our failing. And now your failing. The error is compounded."
Delenn: "What mistake?"
Lyta Vorlon: "The first one, the one from which all mistakes proceed: The error of Pride..."

-- Kalesh Naranek, Last of the Vorlon
www.orc.ca/~jheinbuc/

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some sketches of this, which may be scanned in.
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Hay, Adam, how do you spell "yacht"? )

------------------
Dead End: "If we surrender our energon we're doomed."
Breakdown: "And if we don't we're doomed too."
Dead End: "Face it. We're doomed."

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*I* didn't name the file, that's how it was when I found it. I uploaded it with its original name. =P

------------------
Lyta Vorlon: "Our great mistake. Our failing. And now your failing. The error is compounded."
Delenn: "What mistake?"
Lyta Vorlon: "The first one, the one from which all mistakes proceed: The error of Pride..."

-- Kalesh Naranek, Last of the Vorlon
www.orc.ca/~jheinbuc/

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, you could've changed it.

------------------
Dead End: "If we surrender our energon we're doomed."
Breakdown: "And if we don't we're doomed too."
Dead End: "Face it. We're doomed."

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps