Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » USS Zandura (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: USS Zandura
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's right, folks, it's the mysterious USS Zandura from FC! Fresh out of the latest issue of ST: TM. It's a tiny little image at the back, but I scanned 'er in at 800 dpi and shrunk it down a tad. Enjoy!

USS Zandura

At first, I thought it was hideous. But, it grew on me pretty quick. You can pretty much pick out the design elements in this: Steamrunner-ish nacelles, Olympic stardrive (aft part, anyways), Sovereign shuttlebay. Overall, a nifty little ship.

------------------
"Lately I've noticed that everyone seems to trust me. It's really quite unnerving. I'm still trying to get used to it."
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that was certainly worth the seventeen hours it took to download. Are we to believe that this design was made into a model, or is this just a throwaway thing, or what?

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry about the long download time. I didn't want to risk degrading any details in a JPEG compression. If it's any condolence, the original PNG is about 3 MB

------------------
"Lately I've noticed that everyone seems to trust me. It's really quite unnerving. I'm still trying to get used to it."
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hellooooooo, Replacement Constellation!

And an article with and about Alex Jaeger's used and unused designs? Boo-yah!

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, any new information about the ship? I also like it. Constellation-replacement? How about Cheyenne-replacement?

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If so, then there's a trend. Constellation was bristling with weapons; Cheyenne had two phaser strips and just possibly two small torp launchers on the vertical pylons, and that was that; and this baby seems unarmed at a first glance.

I'd say Oberth replacement, although she's a bit large for the job. A bigger and milder-mannered companion to the Nova class. Since no registry is given, and the nacelles don't belong to any obvious "family" or era, we might say this could be a fairly recent vessel.

This could also be one of those "four-nacelled courier" things - she's in the same size range as the reputed Pathfinder-courier at least. Secondary scientific roles, no defensive ones. Starfleet definitely needs superfast ships for liaison duties, and since not all of its ships are superfast, we can deduce there is a tradeoff. Perhaps superfast ships have to sacrifice all mission equipment like guns and labs and big computers to be successful.

Timo Saloniemi

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh! Very cool ship! I love it!

Let's analyse the movie again. I may have an idea on where this beauty is visible.

BTW:
ST: TM? As in Star Trek: The Magazine?

------------------
Terry: "Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, ...."
Max: "And?"
Terry: "I forgot."
Max: "Come on, Clinton was the fun one, then came the boring one."
Terry: "They're all boring."

- Batman Beyond (aka: Batman of the Future)

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could not find it

------------------
Terry: "Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, ...."
Max: "And?"
Terry: "I forgot."
Max: "Come on, Clinton was the fun one, then came the boring one."
Terry: "They're all boring."

- Batman Beyond (aka: Batman of the Future)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's obvious what the relevance of this is. They got rid of the third, underslung nacelle and turned the ship upside down - result, one Sabre-class starship.

------------------
Ross: This is not good for my rage. *takes another pill*

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, I hate it. Those nacelles are far too large.

------------------
Ross: This is not good for my rage. *takes another pill*

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Four nacelled ships = suck.

MHO, of course.

------------------
"You don't tug on Superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off the ole' Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally like the ship. Too bad it didn't show up on ST: FC so it's design can be offical. I don't think it's the Oberth's replacement sense it's pretty obvious that the Novas fill that role. Border patrol maybe? The best way to figure out what role it's supposed to fill is to find out what roles have already been filled by various known classes of starships.

Also, If you think 4 nacelled ships suck, I bet you love the only 6 nacelled ship in starfleet.

------------------
If anyone has a Star wars action fleet E-wing starfighter or Tie defender toy they want to sell, please E-mail me at areas-4@excite.com

IP: Logged
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Well, this tiny little picture was at the back of the issue in the Queries section. No info about it. But they did say that another Jaeger article was coming up.

------------------
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So there are more little goodies that Alex designed that never showed up in First Contact. Imagine what kind of fleet we would have seen being decimated by the Borg....

------------------
"Oh for fuck's sake, stop your moaning,
If you fancy a threesome at this time of night, you can't get start getting choosey about which particular three!
-Queer As Folk, UK

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, finally we see what it looks like. Alex Jaeger mentioned the ship to me a year ago over e-mail, which I reproduced on these forums. I suspected it might be the unclassified piece of debris that passed by the Defiant, but now I can't really tell from these sketches.

Boris

------------------
I'm not the Boris Skrbic on the Grafitti Wall website

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited March 09, 2001).]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.