Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » USS Zandura (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: USS Zandura
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The debris was almost certainly just debris. Either that, or a bit of one of the main FC ships. It would be dumb to build a model of an entire ship just to break off one little chunk to use on screen...

------------------
"...I know this board in secret, intimate ways which are beyond your comprehension.... Let's just say that people should *not* be telling me what to do; it should always be the other way around."
-"Red Quacker", conspiracy theorist and contemporary lunatic

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It definitely wasn't one of the main FC ships; while it did have the diamond lifeboats, they were far too big compared to the ship's forward shuttlebay doors for it to have been one of the known classes. It could've been just a generic piece of debris, but who knows, maybe there exists a cut scene showing the whole thing.

Boris

------------------
I'm not the Boris Skrbic on the Grafitti Wall website

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there is that modelpic of the debris that I got from Frank, check out this page: http://w1.314.telia.com/~u31412332/scifi/star2m2.htm

We´ve discussed this pic before and I think the conclusion was that it must be from an hitherto unknown ship and we just associated it with the Zandura-class. I can´t tell from the new pic if this is likely or not. What I would like to know is if there are anymore pics out there of this debris

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only now realized that the piece of debris is an actual physical model, not a CGI fragment. The last picture seems to show this piece of debris resting on a table or something, with painted-in "flames" on the damaged area. Or if the pic's CGI, it doesn't seem to come from the movie...

It's highly unlikely that the modelmakers would have built an all-new model of these complex shapes (even if it was an unlit study model) and then only used this small fragment. This is even less likely than them doing a full CGI ship and then using a fragment...

So perhaps this was an Enterprise part that did not come out of a mold right, or a lamp shade or water cooler part or something, and somebody simply applied two shades of blue paint and some decals manufactured for the E-E model, and created this debris without ever creating the corresponding ship?

Timo Saloniemi

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, that last one is taken from the TNG Movie sketchbook. It's the gag labal for First Contact liquor - the pinkish thing in the upper left corner is Zephram Cochrane's face.

Anyway, more importantly is what Jaeger says of the Zandura class: "I also named another ship that did not appear in the film the Zandura-class, a prototype science ship (like the Grissom) with separation capabilities for atmospheric flight conditions."

I wonder how this fits in with the sketch above?

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I´m sorry, but what are you getting at?

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want my opinion (probably don't) I think it could be a scout version to the Akira class. It looks more like a Akira than a Sabre or a Steamrunner. So I am only guessing that this ship with almost any visibel armament could be just a scout. The four nacelle design shows that it's build for high speed (or at least gives the impression) and little armament. So this ship is supposed to scout ahead for enemy ships, locate them then retreat back to the fleet.

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm.

------------------
Ross: This is not good for my rage. *takes another pill*

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't think it's a type of science ship. Starfleet already has two different classes that fill that role. The Oberths, and the Oberth's replacement, the Novas. I honestly think that the Zandura is some type of border patrol ship, or maybe a kind of law enforcement ship.

After all you can't pull an Akira out of it's patrol duties in Cardassian or Dominion space to keep the locals under control whenever an incident occures in Federation space. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, a 4 nacelled ship would be good for law enforcement because it can get to a trouble spot very quickly.

Man. A Star Trek Micro Machine of the Zandura would be soooooooo cool! By the way, do you like my new signature?

------------------
"We have to get drunk immediately."----Gattaca

IP: Logged
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fabrux:
Regards Zandura...

I think I'm in love. If someone could come up with a good set of line drawings (fore/aft/side), I'd love to do a deck plans of this thing. Especially with the nacelle separation idea.

What an elegant design, which fills a niche no other ship does. The Oberth has a massive secondary hull, which I have always assumed was a fairing enclosing a huge sensor cluster (for survey work in orbit, or near stellar phenomena). This new vessel, by separating from its massive (and ungainly) warp necelle configuration, is small enough for ROUTINE planetary landings, Sort of an extra-large Science Runabout - perfect for on-sight planetary surveys.

Or as someone mentioned, courier vessel (which might make it a Corvette).

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like the law enforcement fighter in "Tachyon: The Fringe".

MIB: Aah, the immortal words of Gattaca Johnson. Or perhaps you meant the movie? If so, who said it? Jude Law?

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Listen, what's the big deal here? It's just a conceptual sketch for a starship, and not a very good one at that. No wonder it never went any further, and, as I said above, you can ever see where one or two parts have been re-used in the finished versions of the other FC ships. There's nothing to get all excited about, wetting your pants as you speculate on its purpose. I didn't notice anyone having orgasms over the Streamrunner class. . .

------------------
Ross: This is not good for my rage. *takes another pill*

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beauty, eye, beholder. It's all relative.

I happen to think it's pretty cool. A compact four-nacelle design anlong the lines of the Akira and Steamrunner. That separation thing should be interesting too. I for one am looking forward to it.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*mumbles* I did.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Starship Freak
Member # 293

I have to agree with Mark, it´s a beautiful ship. Moreover, since there exists an unidentified piece of debris that could or could not be based on that design, it becomes important to find out if indeed the modelmaker used Jaeger´s design or not.

------------------

[This message has been edited by pIn'a' Sov (edited March 14, 2001).]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.