Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Spinning in warp??

Author Topic: Spinning in warp??
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found something odd in the episode 'Scorpion, part 2'.
When Voyager and the Borg cube are attacked, the cube is spinning while firing. But all of this is happening in warp.
How is it possible to spin a ship, while flying at warp in a straight (sp?) line??? (Except for a push by Q)

------------------
"Are you sure you won't change your mind?"
"Is there something wrong with the one I have?"

[This message was edited by Altair on March 17, 1999.]

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll have to watch it again, but right now there are two possible explanations:

1. The warp field does not imeediately break down, when the warp drive is disengaged, so it might be possible that the ship is still at warp, while some impulse (weapon fire?) makes it spin without a force (namely the force of the warp drive) keeping it straight.

2. The cube may produce some kind of spherical warp field which can be modulated in any direction to achieve propulsion in the respective direction. Circular modulation could be possible as well. This is corroborated by the cube's structure that doesn't show any preference direction and no visible propulsion systems.

------------------
Brain. Brain. What is brain? (Kara the Eymorg, "Spock's Brain")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the cube obviously isn't designed with a specific warp field geometry in mind, and doesn't have a 'front' or 'back,' so it can generate a warp field to propel it imn any direction. Knowing the Borg, they have a network of redundant field generators throughout the cube, available for use if needed. Isn't it possible that they could shift from one generator to the next while in warp, while rotating the cube at the same time - thereby providing forward motion while spinning?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... Obviously, the warp coils, not being in nacelles, must be on the inside of the ship. What if they are on a huge axle, and they can be kept in place while the ship rotates around them? Like a gyroscope, sort of...

------------------
"Look into any eyes you find by you; you can see clear to another day..."
-The Grateful Dead, "Box of Rain"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also possible to make a Federation ship spin. After all it is steered at warp speed by slightly changing the firing sequences of the left and right nacelle (TNGTM).

------------------
Brain. Brain. What is brain? (Kara the Eymorg, "Spock's Brain")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Objects in motion tend to stay in motion."

-Sir Isaac Newton.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a traditional reference frame, anyway. Though once we start dealing with extradimensional spaces, new laws start cropping up.

------------------
"I'll turn everything around and confuse you. I'll fix it so you can't remember what was true."
--
They Might Be Giants

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's an interesting concept Tom, ummm. . .

------------------
I'm the only one who understands me, and I ire of my company.
--Paul Cargile

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, Tom hasn't posted on this thread...

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Dead End: "If we surrender our energon we're doomed."
Breakdown: "And if we don't we're doomed too."
Dead End: "Face it. We're doomed."

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps he meant TSN...

------------------
Risk is our business! That's what this starship is all about....that's why we're aboard her!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted to this thread - and it hasn't appeared!

anyway what i said was, go watch the TNG episode "Tin Man" Gomtuu pushes the E-D and a Romulan Warbird away at warp and in a spin...

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps