Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » enlighten me-are these torpedo launchers? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: enlighten me-are these torpedo launchers?
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
please say they're not cause they been accepted to be torpedo launchers by alot of people-who are constantly making art clips with them,
firing torpedos in all directions like a shower of destruction.
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/trek/nref6.jpg

------------------

[This message has been edited by TheF0rce (edited March 28, 2001).]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no real evidence either way... Although if they were supposed to be launchers, we would have seen them fire by now - we've seen at least two instances where Nebulas fire bursts of torpedoes.

Eh? Art clips? Show, please!

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this an actual picture of the studio model? If it is and nobody ever talked about it until today then I would only imagine that it is only lights or something. If they are torpedo launchers than the Akira's 15 torpedo launchers isn't that odd anymore.

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

-All you base belong to infinity. -infinity11

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah...notice at the front, there's a slot where we DID see a torpedo fired by the Sutherland. I'd guess that other launchers would look like that slot.

Now the question is on the BACK of the pod.

What are these slots?

Finally, remember the Endeavour from FC? It fired a torpedo from under the saucer but above the deflector (in the little neck the Nebula has). Where's the launcher?

------------------
Ace

"Objects in mirror are closer than they appear."

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited March 28, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Redemption, the Sutherland fires photon torpedoes from that dish ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which dish are you referring to? The main deflector dish?

------------------
Ace

"Objects in mirror are closer than they appear."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, of course not. The thingy atop. The sensor dish, module, thingy. The same thing that you said, in essence.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the Sutherland fired the torpedos from the forward point of the triangular pod.

I don't recall seeing a Nebula firing in "FC" at all...

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The picture of the front of the pod, the very right of the picture there is a little black hole that I believe is truely a launcher. The red things are probably sensors.

------------------
"No, 3 & 6 are mandatory, so you only have to do them if you want"

Alex, fellow classmate, trying to explain an assignment (2/2/01)

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take another look at that last link in Ace's previous post. Another mis-labeled model. The ship's name ain't supposed to be on the ventral saucer surface...

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and whoever mentioned this is correct, the Nebula class in FC does fire from between the saucer and deflector.

Another thing I noticed is by watching the Thunderchild fire when I pause the scene. At the moment she fires each torpedo, there is the ball of light plus 3 other lights to either side of it, meaning there are 4 holes there. The first torpedo comes from the far right, the next to the 2nd from the right, and the final torpedo from the 2nd from the left. This proves that those 4 holes we saw up there are indeed launchers.

Yet another thing. The scene where the Enterprise fires her quantums, the Steamrunner seems to fire a phaser from the point where the saucer section becomes indented. It comes from that corner there, instead of from the middle or from a strip from above.

Also, when Picard orders the viewscreen turned on, the Saber class to the very left is shown firing a torpedo forward from the back of her hull, exactly where it looked like a weapon pod could be. The weird thing is the torpedoes fly off at an extremely weird angle.

------------------
"No, 3 & 6 are mandatory, so you only have to do them if you want"

Alex, fellow classmate, trying to explain an assignment (2/2/01)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thing I noticed is by watching the Thunderchild fire when I pause the scene. At the moment she fires each torpedo, there is the ball of light plus 3 other lights to either side of it, meaning there are 4 holes there. The first torpedo comes from the far right, the next to the 2nd from the right, and the final torpedo from the 2nd from the left. This proves that those 4 holes we saw up there are indeed launchers.

*screams*

NOOOOOOO!!!!

(Can you tell I'm vehemently against the idea that the Akira has an enormous number of launchers and curse Jaeger for ever coming up with such a stupid idea?)

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I believe it's recently become tradition for the name to appear on the underside of the saucer. It's been done to the Galaxy class Challenger and Venture (pics of the Venture studio model). I also believe they did it for the Equinox.

------------------
[Bart's looking for his dog.]
Groundskeeper Willy: Yeah, I bought your mutt - and I 'ate 'im! [Bart gasps.] I 'ate 'is little face, I 'ate 'is guts, and I 'ate the way 'e's always barkin'! So I gave 'im to the church.
Bart: Ohhh, I see... you HATE him, so you gave him to the church.
Groundskeeper Willy: Aye. I also 'ate the mess he left on me rug. [Bart stares.] Ya heard me!

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Nebula pics that Force shows us is the model relabled USS Leeds in the opening scenes of DS9. But going back to the torp launcher issue, the widescreen format of First Contact shows the Nebula Class USS Endeavor launching torpedoes in the neck area with the Akira Class USS Thunderchild with a Saber in the background firing torpedoes at the cube. Looks like there's another place for a torp launcher that gives the ship 3 forward launchers and 2 aft.

------------------
"When I said to get involved in the gay community, I didn't mean to sleep with everyone in it."
Michael_T

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Different Nebulae probably carry different armament. We know some of the models have two short aft phaser strips on the saucer and some don't. Also, it appears that the triangular pod originally had two forward and two aft launchers, very similar to Constitution side-by-side tubes but somewhat more "canted" into a plow shape. Later refining of the model added those four extra slots to the aft end of the pod.

While no model AFAIK has had actual torp tubes in the neck area, the great variety in the podded armament evident in the various models makes it plausible that some ships could have had neck launchers as well (even if Paramount never built the models that would reflect that "fact").

Also, the things on the sides of the refined triangular pod look like paired TOS movie era phaser turrets to me... Although I agree they would better be considered sensors, since TOS phasers on such a ship make zero sense. TOS phasers do seem to be useful in the TNG timeframe, since the Excelsiors and other ships still use them; but a Nebula shouldn't have those for any reason.

The Steamrunner bow phaser anomaly is annoying. The CG model has no ventral phasers, but perhaps we should assume that SOME Steamrunners nevertheless have a ventral phaser mounted close to the bow to explain the anomaly.

As for the Sabers, I'm willing to believe in omnidirectional torpedo turrets up there at the extreme stern...

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps