Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » DS9 Season Seven - New Ships ($) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: DS9 Season Seven - New Ships ($)
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not exactly bubbling over with posts, are we? This is usually the busiest Forum of the lot.

So, isn't it about time we sorted what new ships we've seen this year, before the, er, 'ships hit the finale,' as it were?

------------------
"Some day this war's gonna end. . ."

- Lt. Col. Kilgore

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New ships? Or new ship classes? If the latter, then we've seen, well, none, unless I'm forgetting something. If the former... I'd have to go back to the tapes.

------------------
-=Ryan McReynolds=-

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's ship names...the Nebula class T'Kumbra from "Take Me Out..." and the Intrepid class Bellerophon from "Inter Arma..."

Also, the infamous USS Curry, the USS Destiny...the USS Sentinel, I believe. Classes unknown.

I'm sure there are a few others. Was the USS Tombaugh from this season or last?

------------------
"I'll be the sky above the Ganges
I'll be the vast and stormy sea.
I'll be the lights that guide you inward.
I'll be the visions you will see."
--
R.E.M.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Tombaugh is from Voyager, actually.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Grimlock: "You are creator?"
Primacron: "Unfortunately...yes."

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, here are what I got:

Destiny ("Shadows And Symbols")

T'Kumbra, Nebula class ("Take Me Out To The Holosuite")

Farragut, Excelsior class ("Chrysalis")

Wyoming (already known, destroyed)("The Siege of AR-558")

Veracruz ("The Siege of AR-558")

Grissom (already known, destroyed)("Field of Fire")

Strata ("Field of Fire")

Truman ("Field of Fire")

Hornet (already known)("Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges")

Bellerephon NCC-74705, Intrepid class ("Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges")

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, we never saw the Farragut. We only saw an Excelsior class ship docked at the end of the episode and the mutants had already departed at that time. It makes more sense (to me anyway) that the Farragut should not be an Excelsior class ship seeing as how the last Farragut was a Nebula.

I know there are folks here (at least there used to be) that believe that the Excelsior class is still in production, but I highly doubt this.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with shipbuilder, although I haven't seen the episode yet. An Excelsior class Farragut is not credible, unless a ship has been renamed in honor of the destroyed Nebula class ship.

------------------
Brain. Brain. What is brain? (Kara the Eymorg, "Spock's Brain")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why wouldn't they still be building Excelsior-class ships? There are some with registries in the Nebula range anyway...

------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only Excelsior class ship with a high registry is the Melbourne, but that's because the class was changed (bad enough).

I can't believe that Excelsior ships are still being built because there are around a dozen known classes and possibly some more unknown newer classes of about the same size. Did all of them turn out inferior to the good old Excelsior? This might apply to the Ambassador, which has not been sighted for a long time. However, didn't starships evolve in the last 80 years? The question remains the same if we assume that it is easy to upgrade older ships or build new ones that incorporate the upgrades from the very beginning. Why do the starship engineers put so many efforts in developing new classes?

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Perhaps the Excelsior-class is old enough that they've perfected the design, while keeping up with technological advances. Hence, they can be easily mass-produced and such.

------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

I could believe that if production of the Excelsior continued while the successor type is being built. However, there are about two more generations in between.
Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, the only few known commissioning dates point to a particular lineage of the ships. Constitution-Excelsior-Ambassador-Neb/Galaxy-Intrepid/Defiant-Sovereign. Refitting a ship can only go so far, eventually your structural materials will begin to break down due to radiation exposure, atmospheric exposure (from inside the ship) etc. The one eternal truth in Materials Science is that corrosion WILL happen, regardless of your technological prowess. Whether it will cause a disaster is another question altogether.

The only way it could have been the Farragut is as Bernd noted, that she was renamed in honor of the lost Nebula Farragut, but that seems unlikely due to the ship's crew and CO probably not taking it too kindly. With Starfleet still apparently pumping out new ships, surely they could have bestowed a non-commissioned ship with the Farragut name.

Maybe we'll find out when the updated Encyclopedia hits the stands.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

I still don't see why Starfleet couldn't be building all-new Excelsiors.

------------------

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could, but over 100 years it would seem inconsistent with all the new advances. Would YOU build yourself an Excelsor when you could have an Akira for similar amounts of raw materials?

Also the longevity of the excelsior is a curiosity when you consider the Constitution was phased out long ago.

I prefer to tink of the fleet being augmented by new, cooler ships with big glowing blue nacelles, sleek lines and a general sharp look.

------------------
"...And Monty fans may like to know about these special books, available from all good bookshops..."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, what you'd like or what you'd think would be reasonable is often very different from reality.

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.