Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » DS9 Season Seven - New Ships ($) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: DS9 Season Seven - New Ships ($)
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see why chaning a ship name is a problem. The US Navy does it all the time. Look at the first US Carrier, USS Langley CV-1. She was originally USS Jupiter, but was renamed. I knowthere are countless other ships in the USN that have been renamed.

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would they change a ship name, though? Starfleet probably has more ships than names...

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Grimlock: "You are creator?"
Primacron: "Unfortunately...yes."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It kinda makes you wonder why there are more Excelsior classes then there are Excelsior upgrades....

------------------
"Please state the nature of the medical emergency."
-EMH

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And remember we saw The Farragut-Nebula Class in Generationsin case some one was wondering

------------------
Wheeelersburg Correctional Facility
Inmate #05301999

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that was destroyed, as was mentioned...

------------------
Grimlock: "You are creator?"
Primacron: "Unfortunately...yes."

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank: What about advancements in warp field theory that require different types of hull shapes?? It simply wouldn't be enough to add a new warp engine systems (not just the cores (aka Lakota), we know that geometry plays a part in it as well. Dropping in a new core probably gives them more power and some increase in warp field efficiency, but it reaches a max point of effectiveness.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the most advanced warp technolgy doesn't need to worry about the physical geometry of the ship at all.

------------------
"I'll turn everything around and confuse you. I'll fix it so you can't remember what was true."
--
They Might Be Giants

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol System: I hope hull geometry will continue to play a role. We must not allow kitbashed ships of whatever bizarre structure the modelers can imagine.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's just a matter of example. The most advanced warp technology we've seen is in the hands of the Borg, and they obviously have little concern for such...primitive warp theories.

------------------
"I'll turn everything around and confuse you. I'll fix it so you can't remember what was true."
--
They Might Be Giants

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Shipbuilder: If they really cared about the shape of ships, then why do they build the abominations we saw in the DS9 Tech Manual?

All-new designs would be great, sure. But they aren't cost-effective, for either Starfleet or Paramount.

------------------
Dead End: "If we surrender our energon we're doomed."
Breakdown: "And if we don't we're doomed too."
Dead End: "Face it. We're doomed."

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank: I didn't say that they would have to rely on geometry solely, but to produce a truly efficient warp power system, geometry is a key factor. Based on this, you can see a definate change in geometry as the ship classes advance. I think we've discussed this before in another post and we agreed the hack-jobs would most probably be slower or at least much less efficient than a ship truly designed from the keel-up as a total "package" warp vehicle.

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First One: I was going to make a thread about that today.
Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also USS Musashi from "Faith Treachery and the Rio Grande"

------------------
How many people does it take Admiral before it becomes wrong?

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Ha ha ha

------------------
Dead End: "If we surrender our energon we're doomed."
Breakdown: "And if we don't we're doomed too."
Dead End: "Face it. We're doomed."

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps