Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Br?ttain

Author Topic: Br?ttain
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As we all know, the Miranda-class ship in "Night Terrors" was supposed to be called the Brattain. However, the hull was accidentally labeled "Brittain":

Despite the fact that this name was plainly visible, we disregarded it because "Brittain" doesn't mean anything. However...one of the lurkers here recently told me he lives on a Brittain Road. Hence, "Brittain" might be a real name of something after all (they normally wouldn't name a street after a nonsense word or misspelling). Therefore, the ship in question very well could be the "Brittain," even if that wasn't the intention.

Since many of us try to explain everything that's canon (even stuff like the 1305-E registry for the Yamato), I suppose we can also consider "Brittain" to be the real ship name.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Grimlock: "You are creator?"
Primacron: "Unfortunately...yes."

Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if you are talking about seeing on-screen evidence of what the name is then we are in trouble. The model, as you have pointed out, states USS Brittain yet the dedication plaque states USS Brattain. Which one do we go by?

Dedication plaques have caused this kind of headache before. I have seen the USS Pasture (sp?) dedication plaque to say Hope Class yet the Encylopedia claims it was an earlier version of the plaque and later it was changed to Olympic Class (I thought Hope fit better). Has anyone seen this "updated" plaque anywhere?

------------------
-=/\=-
Captain Stark
http://members.aol.com/captaincks/readyroom.html

"The man on the top walks a lonly path. The chain of command is often a noose." Dr. Leonard McCoy --Obsession

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Hope-class designation was only on an early version of the plaque, while it was being designed. It's perfectly reasonable to assume it was changed, since the Olympic-class model was pre-existing.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in the US Declaration of Independence, there is an instance of "British" being spelled "Brittish". Therefore, I've assumed that "Brittain" is an alternative spelling of "Britain". :-)

And I don't recall seeing the name "Brattain" clearly on the screen. And I paid special attention the last time I saw "Night Terrors".

------------------
"Look into any eyes you find by you; you can see clear to another day..."
-The Grateful Dead, "Box of Rain"

[This message was edited by TSN on March 16, 1999.]

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I prefer the name Brattain, whatever "Brittain" is supposed to mean.

The Fact Files say something like *tries to translate* "This ship (Brattain) really had a bad fate. Already the name on the hull was spelled incorrectly. Sometimes even Starfleet makes an error."

HAHAHAHA

On the other hand, the explanation for the NCC-1305-E in the FF is evident. The Yamato in this episode is only an illusion, and the crew (Riker reads the name and number) is not only wondering about the ship itself, but also about the strange registry, rather than Tuvok in "Hope and Fear".

------------------
Brain. Brain. What is brain? (Kara the Eymorg, "Spock's Brain")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem w/ that is that, if you listen to the way he says it, it sounds like he is identifying the ship by its registry. And, given that ship registries are traditionally larger on the hull than names, this would make sense. He read the registry, then figured from that what the name was...

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

On the other hand, maybe Riker didn't know the registry of the Yamato, and just guessed the name...

------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But as I recall it, he did read both the name and registry. Maybe the German translation screwed it up, but in the German version he was astonished and it could be interpreted as "what the heck is that number about".
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, neither the number nor the name were visible anyway...

------------------
Dead End: "If we surrender our energon we're doomed."
Breakdown: "And if we don't we're doomed too."
Dead End: "Face it. We're doomed."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

IIRC, Riker looks at the screen and reads "NCC-1305-E". Then he turns to Picard (?) and says "It's the Yamato, our sister ship".

------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

Frank: You're sure it wasn't visible? I always thought it was quite big on the screen, but it has been a long time since.

TSN: That still leaves the option of Riker *reading* the name as well and wondering about the number.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Neither the name nor the number was ever visible in the episode.

------------------
Dead End: "If we surrender our energon we're doomed."
Breakdown: "And if we don't we're doomed too."
Dead End: "Face it. We're doomed."

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A girl that goes to my school is named Brittain Maas.
Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN has it correct. That how I remember Riker saying it.

------------------
How many people does it take Admiral before it becomes wrong?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps