Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » An observation-the size of the Hokule'a class

Author Topic: An observation-the size of the Hokule'a class
Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Datalore: USS Tripoli is identified as a heavy cruiser.
length
lower limit of heavy cruiser-Constitution Class
upper limit of heavy cruiser-Ambassador Class

IP: Logged
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's still a fair range to swing around in.
Perhaps the Hokule'a class was some new design brought in to supplement Excelsiors in the early 2300s?

------------------
"I AM THE SPIDER!!!!"
- Vic Reeves

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously not a very common design or the ships were retired early. I have no objections against the heavy cruiser classification, why shouldn't there be large ships besides the well-known classes? In my opinion the number of existing classes has nothing to do with their sizes.

------------------
I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer. (McCoy in "Devil in the Dark")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't Constitution more of a medium cruiser then a heavy?

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
STTSFS: Computer display-Type S1 Heavy Cruiser. Blueprints of USS Enterprise.
IP: Logged
Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Constitutione were a Heavy Cruisers during TOS, TAS and TCFS. Whether that designation was changed after the introduction of the Excelsior class we don't know. Considering how quickly they vanished from the scene after TCFS there probably wasn't any need for a reclassification.

If they were still in service 'today', then they'd probably be light cruisers or frigates or something like that.

Oh, in case you don't know TCFS = The Classic Film Series, an incredibly useful but seriously underused acronym.

Back to the Hokule'a class. We don't know that all of them were retired, just one particular one. So they could still be quite a few of them flying around.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps