Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Explosions in Space

Author Topic: Explosions in Space
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just how big of a "bang" can you get from contemporary explosive devices that are detonated in outer space? We've seen examples of rather large explosions very close to our perspective (the ship) but not affecting that ship very much. Just how close do you need to be to make a big impact?

If I were to guess, I'd say that a bomb would have less effect in space because there would be no pressure wave. I'm not familiar with the dynamics of an explosion, but I'd bet that most of the damage within a certain area is caused by the pressure wave of the air being pushed outward, not by the explosion itself.

So just how big a "boom" do you need?

Point of reference: Tonight I saw a "Babylon 5" rerun, and there was a nuclear detonation of 500,000 megatons about 5,000 kilometers away. It didn't damage the station one bit. Is this realistic? The same thing would logically apply to the Trek universe as well. One direct application I'm thinking of is proximity blasts.

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question! In an explosion, what is the main cause of the destruction: air (or water for subs) pressure, the hot gases and plasma (?) of the explosive, shrapnel of the casing or what?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
e) All of the above

------------------
"And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
-DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://spider.ipac.caltech.edu/staff/waw/mad/mad12.html

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fav Explosions:

- USS Oddysey in Jem'Hedar
- USS Enterprise (second explosion) in Cause and Effect
- Tie Between USS Defiant and USS Valiant
- USS Majestic and USS Seatag (but why did they have to be Miranda Class ships?)
- BoP in STVI (but did they reuse the same footage in Generations?)
- USS Enterprise in STIII
- USS Enterprise Stardrive section in Generations (see that pre-explosion, then the real thing)

------------------
"Intelligence People. You guys are unbelievable. You dump a mess like this (that you created) on my lap, and then you come to me whining 'Where is our funding'? Well I'll tell you where your funding is. Can you say Health-Care"
- The President of the United States of America, The Long Kiss Goodnight

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i say released energy and radiation

i don't think there is air is space so a nuclear explosion would not work the same way it would in space as it would in an atmosphere.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seatag!?! Wasn't it the Sitak!?!

What about the Yamato! and the Borg Cube in BOBW above Earth!

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And yes, they re-used the ST:VI footage in Generations. . .

------------------
Phasers

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "bobbwie cube" had such a violent explosion, that was nice.

------------------
"Babies haven't any hair;
old men's heads are just as bare;
between the cradle and the grave
lies a haircut and a shave."

Samuel Hoffenstein

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I've always heard that the reason a nuke could level a city was that there's not much that can stand up to air compressed to the density of steel moving at the speed of sound.

MM:

Five hundred THOUSAND megatons? 500 GIGATONS? Half a TERRATON! That'd be enough to take out the moon! Or at least a good sized chunk of it.

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps