Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » DY Class Ships

Author Topic: DY Class Ships
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

According to canonical sources, the DY class ships were in operation in the time period of the new series. Do you think that there will be a DY Class ship?

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would be a nice detail, although I doubt they'll realise this.

------------------
"You know, putting up a tent is like making love to a beautiful woman. You undo the zip, pop in your pole and slip into the old bag."
- Swiss Toni, The Fast Show (British comedy show)
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be neat if they did but I doubt it, as they will probably make ships that look like they belong in Star Wars or something.

------------------
The whole concept of Survivor is get your average Joe and put him/her on the show and see how they react. Afterwards even though they did not win they make money by appearing on shows. There is no point in having to win a million dollars! They will make that amount in 2 months after appearing on 100 different shows!

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole DY concept is obsolete since "First Contact", "One Small Step" and recently "Friendship One", where a completely different evolution of starship designs was outlined - from present-day capsules to capsules with warp drive. The DY ships just don't fit in - and even if they would, the whole idea of using the same ship design for centuries was silly from the very beginning. The same basic type of ship should have been used between at least 1996 and 2123 (or even 2266 - the Woden), although WW III and the development of warp drive should have changed everything? I could never believe that, and I can rather discard the brief LCARS display from "Up the Long Ladder" than forget the three above prominent events. "Enterprise" will do the rest to devaluate the idea of DY ships. The new series should at least show a reasonable development from the Phoenix to the Daedalus, but I doubt they will manage even that, so history will be rewritten once again.

------------------
"There is an intelligent lifeform out on the other side of that television too."
(Gene Roddenberry)
Ex Astris Scientia

Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the DY series is based around a really robust spaceframe it's possible that these pre-warp ships could be given warp drive just by plugging new modules on the side. The Phoenix, Friendship One and Mars craft were all experimental or single-use ships; the DY ships represent a distinct lineage of cargo vessels.

In the face of portrayals of early-21st Century exploration (including the Charybdis), the whole Khan-in-the-1990s thing is really straining credibility now, but "Friendship One" indicates that Earth has some degree of adaptable space infrastructure in place during the mid 2100's. Cochrane - a well funded mad scientist - launching a one-off demonstration made of spit and bailing wire is conceivable. Sending out Friendship One implies time to design, build and launch the thing.

I'd be willing to buy that the DY series of heavy cargo transports were launched from Earth starting in the 1990s. Maybe they're built by the Russians or Chinese (or some other superpower) and strapped to Energia-type boosters; in any case, lots of them are lofted into space and used for hauling stuff around on orbit - to Mir2 or a moonbase, perhaps. Khan & crew took one that was sitting on the pad for a three hour tour. Meanwhile, NASA is still sending its spindly little single-use tin cans out to explore Mars and Saturn.

A few hundred of them are tooling around the solar system by the early 21st Century, until the war starts. At that point, who knows - they might be abandoned or used for ordanance delivery. Whatever the case, Cochrane doesn't have one to play with so he straps his nacelles onto a spare Titan missile.

Once warp drive is figured out, UESPA builds the spindly-but-efficient Friendship One and sends it on its way. Meanwhile some enterprising entrepreneurs take some DY cargo modules and build inboard warp coils. Sure, they might fry the crew, but they're much cheaper to build and maintain than UESPA's contraptions. Suddenly there's a run on the old hulks. Some are upgraded, some are newly built. The entrepreneurs buy out the old "DY" corporation and continue to adapt the design. This leads from the DY-100 to other modular cargo ships and even eventually to a remarkably similar DY-500 a century later.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps