Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ship Names (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Ship Names
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. the T'Kumbra is a Nebula Class Starship that visited DS9 in "Take Me out to the Holosuite", it was crewed by Vulcans. Many assume that it is a "vulcan" name, but I'm not sure about that.

------------------
Signatures are for losers

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should have known that. I realise now that I have the K'Tumbra listed as a Nebula Class ship on my very own site!! But I was never sure of the origin of the name, but was just making a speculative supposition....

------------------
"Synthetic scotch, synthetic Commanders...."
-Scotty

http://www.trekmania.net

Reginald Barclay
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would anyone name a starship after any artist, past or present? There's never been a USS da Vinci or a USS Van Gogh. OTOH, there have been ships named after contemporary figures, for instance the USS Grissom and the shuttle Chaffee. Ships are named after explorers, warriors, and locations, not artists.
IP: Logged
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but we have starships named after composers.

Tsiolkovsky and Prokofiev (I think...) are both composers.

Also, do not forget the USS Renaissance.

------------------
"No, 3 & 6 are mandatory, so you only have to do them if you want"

Alex, fellow classmate, trying to explain an assignment (2/2/01)

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, Tsiolkovsky is not a composer. He was a rocketry theorist.

As long as Starfleet claims it is not, unlike most earth naval fleets, solely military, I don't see anything wrong with naming ships after artists. I think anyone who appears put on currency or stamps is fair game!

(I'm referring to stamps of reputable countries, not those of countries that put Pokemon and the Little Mermaid on their stamps to make money. If you are from one of these shabby little countries, I mean no disrespect. Of course, the US puts Bugs Bunny on its stamps too.)

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... We've had a USS Bradbury. I can see a USS Picasso. Even the starships Franklin, Copland, and Stravinsky could be possible. Heck, even the USS Douglas or USS Hepburn. I don't know about the starships Spears, Dion, or P. D. Q. Bach. Or the USS Shore and USS Silverstone.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PDQ Bach. That's a name I've not heard since... Well, since long before you were born...

Anyways, when I name ships after people who probably don't deserve to have ships named after them, I try to maintain plausible deniability. Let's say you've named a ship after Brittney Spears (USS Spears). If someone questions you on it, you should be able to deny that you named it after her; instead, you say, it was named after Sir Benjamin Throckmorton Spears, the 19th century inventor of a process for refining selenium, which allowed the invention of quantum flux communications. Your questioner nods, claiming, "oh, yes, I've heard of him."

------------------

[This message has been edited by Masao (edited May 26, 2001).]

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Challenging Masao for the claim of 'too much time on my hands prize', I have 1520 named ships on my site. But I've used many of the established, and traditional naming methods that we're used to in Trek. In some ways certain artists do have mentions because as alluded to by Siegfried they do exist. There was also a certain USS Thoams Paine - a writer.

I haven't yet got a USS Britney Spears. But I am thinking about it........

:-)

------------------
"Synthetic scotch, synthetic Commanders...."
-Scotty

http://www.trekmania.net

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Challenging Masao for the claim of 'too much time on my hands prize', I have 1520 named ships on my site."

I win. 24,629 names so far. Out of a needed 100,344 by the end of the year. I'm a little behind. And out of those 24,629 names, 19,425 of them are original, meaning the remaining 5204 are reuses. Not bad for 25,000 names.

"But I've used many of the established, and traditional naming methods that we're used to in Trek."

Me, too. But I'm breaking that habit. Alien names are surprisingly easy ones you get the hang of it.

------------------
"'I don't CARE who started it, I'm tired, and I WANT QUIET!!!!! Or I'm going to come up there and flatten the BOTH of you!' And he meant it. And we'd stop. Or he would." --Foreign policy as laid down by First of Two's dad

[This message has been edited by Shik (edited May 26, 2001).]

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Holy f*cking Christ in a basket! That's not a ship list, that's a phone book!

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Werd, yo.

All to be found at J-Project...that is, when my server decides to stop dicking around & get fixed. Note that it's a heavy omega test. Plus I think there's some errors in the Oberths where about 1500 names got lost. Eventually I'll fix it all.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*gasps* Has your site been tested by Omega and APPROVED??? That calls for celebration!

EVERYBODY, TURNIPS ARE ON ME!!!!

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Through the years, I've written Trek short stories. Usually, this was for a class assignment, but I did some fun writing on my own. Alas, I've lost all those old stories (some of them, it's for the best). I've also dabbled with my own online Trek series for a few years now. I've always sought out ships names never used before.

I have a USS Siegfried, named from the hero of the Richard Wagner opera cycle and Norse mythology. I've also used a USS Tannhauser and USS Lohengrin (two other Wagner operas).

I've named other starships the USS Eroica (Beethoven's Third Symphony, the USS Firebird and USS Petrushka (two Stravinsky ballets), the USS Appalachian Spring and USS Rodeo (both Aaron Copland ballets), and the USS Requiem (Mahler's Fourth Symphony). As you probably guess, I was a music education major my first two years in college.

Some of my ships names have literary beginnings. There's the USS Gandalf and USS Shadowfax from Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. I've also used a USS Asimov and USS Dickinson. For one creative writing assignment, I used a USS Red Fern since we had just finished Where the Red Fern Grows.

I also have the tendency to name ships after my friends. I've the USS Borgfeldt, which was named for my high school band director, and the USS Woodyard, named for the first woman I ever fell in love with.

Still other ships I named because of the influence they've had on me. I've used a USS Maritza (named for the artist of my favorite webcomic) and the USS Schulz (author of Peanuts). There's the USS Ezekiel (taken from the UH Administration Building: Ezekiel Cullen Building) and the USS Cavalier (named for my faithful car).

There's just a lot of sources out there for interesting names.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assumed "T'Kumbra" was just a made-up Vulcan name. Possibly from something old, like the way "ShirKahr" (or whatever it was) came from TAS and such...
Shik
Member # 343

Server's back online. Feel free to peruse. And YES, I DID give a Galaxy the name of Diana, Princess Of Wales. Get over it.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps