Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ship Names (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Ship Names
Delta Vega
Member # 283

- posted      Profile for Delta Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
T'Kumbra sounds like a Vulcan philosipher (sp) name, for some reason. To me anyway.

[ May 28, 2001: Message edited by: Delta Vega ]

--------------------
"Sometimes I think I might like to be evil and all, but that's not the way to think, 'ya know?"
-AA, from IRC on March 3rd, 2001

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but where is your Jeff, Lord and High Master?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sitting in the bathroom next to the toilet waiting to be used shoulg the shitter gets clogged.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Siegfried...USS Eroica? aren't you missing a "t"????

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Siegfried class and a Tannhauser class as well, but I got them second-hand rather directly from the opera. I named Siegfried from the old silent German film and Tannhaeuser comes from Blade Runner (Roy Batty: "I've watched c-beams flicker in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate."). I also have a Diana; I originally named her after the goddess, but for the ship's crest I used the late Princess of Wales' coat of arms.

Anyways, the only reason I have all these names is to impress people with my vast knowledge of arcane subjects

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masao, you want arcane? Look though my Excelsior-class names. 3900 ships mostly taken from obscure Earth history. (e.g., USS Heracleopolis Magna)

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No thanks, Shik. Do ya think I have so much time on my hands?

Twenty-four thousand six hundred twenty-nine!!!

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my web domain is finally ready to take public, y'all will have a chance to comment on my listing (thus far). I haven't bothered to count, though, so I don't know how many I've actually got.

As for the Anglo ship names thing... As Gene's inspiration was Royal Navy/Horatio Hornblower, the majority of ship names are Royal Navy -- moreso even than the American Navy. I've compiled a run-down for ya:

First, the Royal Navy, as most non-American ship names hail from there:

Hood
Excalibur
Exeter
Valiant
Reliant
Excelsior
Fearless
Sentinel
Thunderchild
Sutherland
Repulse
Ajax
Agamemnon
Melbourne
Sydney
Victory
Miranda
Ulysses
Leeds
Odyssey
Prometheus
Drake
Majestic
Endeavour
Wellington
Venture [also an American ship]
Pegasus [also an American ship]
Nautilus [also an American ship]
Essex [also an American ship]
Phoenix [also an American ship]
Apollo [also an American ship]
Bellerophon [also an American ship]
Jupiter [semi-canon, also an American ship]

Japanese:

Yamaguchi [I'm assuming the Trek ship is NOT named after the skater]
Akagi
Yamato
Kongo
Akira
Hiroshima
Musashi
Okinawa
Honshu
Kyushu
Hokkaido

Indian:

Gandhi
Raman
Ganges

Greek:

Andromeda
Adelphi [maybe]
Hermes
Hera
Constantinople [anglicization]
Antares
Daedalus
Aries
Ptolemy [anglicization]
Zodiac
Icarus

Native American:

Cheyenne
Ahwahnee
Crazy Horse
Lakota
Sequoia
Yosemite [anglicization]
Huron

Russian:

Zhukov
Prokofiev
Soyuz
Tolstoy
Buran
Chekov
Potemkin
Volga
Korolev
Tsiolkovsky

African:

Biko
Wambundu
Malinche

German:

Oberth
Danube [anglicization]

Arabic:

Rigel
Cairo
Al-Batani
Saladin [anglicization]

Eastern European/Near-East:

Copernicus [Latinization]
Istanbul
Budapest [anglicization]
Sarajevo

Eastern and Southeastern Asia:

Yangtzee Kiang
Mekong
Tien An Men

"Romantic" (That being, Latin and Latin-derived languages):

Arcos
La Salle
Orinoco
Rubicon
Magellan
Havana
Cortez
Pasteur
Mediterranean
Trieste
Nobel
Concorde
Zapata
Renaissance

Vulcan:

T'Kumbra
Sitak
ShirKahr [sic -- the "proper" spelling is ShiKahr]
Surak

Klingon:

Gorkon

"Other" (sorry all you Aussies and Hawaiians out there -- this category is truly just my unsorted bin):

Jenolan
Deneva
Tripoli
Hokule'a
Banting
Fleming
Destiny [lab module of ISS]

Have at...
--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Very nice work!
Thunderchild is from 'The War of the Worlds' and, as far as I know, was not a real RN ship. The correct spelling from the novel is Thunder Child, by the way.
Malinche - I though someone here once mentioned that she was some "traitorous bitch" from Mexico who gave her people up to Cortez or something.
Tripoli - Since this is in North Africa, might it be Arabic?

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Italian, more likely. And what about the list of obvious American-derived names than?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Kongo' could mean two things:

The IJN Kong�, Japanese battleship
or
The 14th century African kingdom of Kongo, which ceased to exist in 1570.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Budapest" is "Budapest" in Hungarian too.

I have to insist on Copernicus being German (although the Poles always claim otherwise). His name supposedly comes from "K�pernig".

BTW, Kitumba was actually supposed to be the name of the Klingon ruler who turns out to be a child (in a Phase II story).

And sorry for the offensive name of your ancestor, TSN. You don't seem to have much luck with the German meanings of your name(s).

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, that's not even all. Among other names in my ancestry are "Leidig", which means "unpleasant", and "Sackbauer", in which "Bauer" means "farmer", and "Sack", while normally meaning "bag" or "sack", can apparently also mean "balls" or "lazy".

Bad luck, indeed... *L*

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Impressive run-down Peregrinus, I use similar influences for my fleet listings and class naming strategies. Particularly the greek/roman mythological names for the early starships.

But I want to bring up the actual origin of the name/word Wambundu for the class name. Does anyone know from where this derives? It does indeed sound African but I just don't know exactly where it comes from. But as an obviously non-canon speculated footnote in my listings for this class, I explained the name Wambundu away as being named after a 22nd century Federation President. In reality, I'm at a loss for the actual origin.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN: It must have been a bad day when you took the dictionary and discovered that your name means nothing, and you have unpleasant and lazy ancestors and one named "F*cker".

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps