Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ship Names (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Ship Names
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'"Budapest" is "Budapest" in Hungarian too.'

I know it to be pronounced with a "sh" sound rather than a sibilant "s"...

The Kongo was named after the Japanese ship.

And thanks for the other corrections.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My addendum...

American:

Decatur
Farragut
Yorktown
Lexington
Belknap
Kearsarge
Gage
Constitution
Baton Rouge
Gettysburg
Rio Grande
Shenandoah
Yukon
Roosevelt
Tecumseh
Crockett
Charleston
Valley Forge
Monitor
Merrimack
Wyoming
Saratoga
Rutherford
Rutledge
Thomas Paine
[City of] New Orleans
Niagara
Princeton
Olympia
Maryland
Springfield
Appalachia
Denver
Carolina
Ticonderoga
Truman
Baltimore
John Muir
Tombaugh [presumed named after Clyde Tombaugh]
Bonestell [presumed named after Chesley Bonestell]
Yeager [presumed named after Chuck Yeager]
Clement [presumed named after Hal Clement]
Armstrong [presumed named after Neil Armstrong]
Grissom [presumed named after Virgil "Gus" Grissom]
Shepard [presumed named after Alan Shepard]
Cochrane [presumed named after Zefram Cochrane]
Revere [presumed named after Paul Revere]
Goddard [presumed named after Robert Goddard]

With late additions to the Royal Navy section:

Aurora [also an American ship]
Agincourt
Dauntless
Discovery [also an American spacecraft]
Sovereign
Sabre
Hornet [also an American ship]
Peregrine [also an American ship]
Olympic
Vigilant [also an American ship]
Majestic
Alexandria [also an American ship]
Voyager
Columbia [also an American ship]
Livingston
Defiant
Intrepid [also an American ship]
Republic
Eagle [also an American ship]
Valkyrie
Portland [also an American ship]
Constellation [also an American ship]
Drake [presumed named after Sir Francis Drake]
Andromeda [also an American ship]
Challenger [also an American spacecraft]
Enterprise [also an American ship]

And German:

Berlin
Emden

And Greek:

Centaur
Chimera

Then these get added to my unsorted bin:

Bozeman
Hathaway
Curry
Stargazer
Horizon
Archon
Arcos
Frederickson
Vico
Federation
Entente
Freedom
Firebrand
Concorde
Galaxy
Nebula
Trinculo
Lalo
Valdemar
Horatio
Brattain
Lantree
Proxima
Renegade
Norway
Nova
Horatio
Nash
Steamrunner [not a real word � derived from "Streamrunner"]
Yorkshire
Whorfin [this one hurts...]
Billings
Helin
Liberator
Scovil
Veracruz

...being ships for which I can find no precedent with a cursory search.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bozeman and Billings are towns in Montana. And I'm seeing a lot of names I don't even have on my list! Decatur? But my point is made - that is a disproportionate ammount of ships with an American origin. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That list needs a LOT of modification. And there's a lot of never-mentioned ships in there, too.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Modification how? Sure I didn't bothe rto alphabetize them. Sure I know it's a bit of a botch job for only a couple hours worth of effort. But what did you mean?

As for the Billings and the Bozeman. Yes, I know they're towns in Montana. Point is, there's no precedent of a ship in either the US Navy or Royal Navy with the names in my 'unsorted' bin that I can find with a cursory search. I know the actual origins of all these names. You're seeing this as it gets developed. Should I put the "Aurora" in with the Greek stuff because it's a Greek word, and despite there being ships bearing that name in both the US Navy and Royal Navy?

This was very quick and dirty. It's about a week away from being 'presentable'. I just wanted to give a rapid response to the 'ethnicity of ship names' question.

--Jonah

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Delete! I was going to give, some info, but it seems you already no all the sources. Sorry

[ May 31, 2001: Message edited by: Masao ]

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yukon: Might it be considered Canadian?

Aurora: Is also a famous Russian/Soviet ship. it helped put down counterrevolutionaries. It's still in Moscow, I think.

If you know all where all these names are from, could you tell us some of the more obscure ones, like Lantree, Valdemar, Lalo, Vico, Curry, Nash, Scovil, and Arcos?

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you could slap together a Canadian column of sorts. The Banting is presumably named after the Canadian discoverer of penicillin, and the Yukon and Gander are Canadian rivers. But AFAIK there've been no Canadian naval vessels with those names. There have been a few HMCS Hurons, which you have on your list, but when was there a Huron on Trek?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Huron was a ship in the animated series. It got attacked by Orion pirates.

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Here's a Canadian Yukon. It was sunk off San Diego to make an articial reef for divers. http://www.hmcs-yukon.org/

There was also a HCMS Gander, a RN Base in New Foundland from 1938 to 1957. No ship, though. http://british-forces.com/rtw/bases/na.html

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*checks Canadian naval records*
There's also been an HMCS Aurora and HMCS Venture, but I doubt any of them remotely influenced the writers in naming their ships.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

If I were a nerd/geek/otaku, I'd say that Aurora was named after the old plastic model company and Venture was named after the ship in King Kong. (Good thing I'm not!)

[ June 01, 2001: Message edited by: Masao ]

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Is there any point even looking for actual ships that share their names w/Danube-class runabouts, seeing as we know the writers were choosing names based solely on rivers? I mean, there could be a an American minelayer from the 1920s called the Rio Grande but that would have had zero impact on the decision to name the ship what they did.

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, and where did this "Starfleet ships are all named for old Earth surface ships" thing come from anyway? Bozeman was chosen because one of the writers (Braga?) comes from there. I don't think Okuda was going to tell him "nope, can't call it that, it's not listed in my copy of Jane's Fighting Ships."

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
Aurora: Is also a famous Russian/Soviet ship. it helped put down counterrevolutionaries. It's still in Moscow, I think.

I've actually been round the Aurora, it's in St Petersburg. (Moscow is a long way inland, I doubt you could get a naval vessel all the way up river). The Aurora did play some part in the 1917 revolution, but I can't remember what exactly.

Definitely worth adding to a possible Russian list.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.