Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ship Names (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Ship Names
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or it could just be named after that big glittery thing in the Northern sky? Next you'll have us believe the Galaxy is named for a cruise ship. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, but the Norway is...although I still remember her as the �le de France, savior of the Andrea Doria collision.

Another thing, now that I like about it...ACCENT MARKS. I've been trying of late to get them right, but if I were to go back through the 25,000 ships I have now, to look for accent marks...DAMN. This seem to be a big thing for me because it can really fuck things up.

Let's take 2 characters only found in Icelandic--� (or �) & � (or �). In an English translation, some idiot would turn them into "d" & "p," respectively becasue that what they think it looks like, thus making Bor�eyri & �ingvellir into "Bordeyri" & "Pingvellir."

But "�" is pronounced as a "th" like in "the" & "�" is "th" like in "thing," so a proper translation would be "Bortheyri" & "Thingvellir."

Or just use the correct fucking accents.

[ June 01, 2001: Message edited by: Shik ]

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, to tell them apart, I've seen 'ð' transliterated as 'dh' and 'þ' as 'th'.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and I thought the name Norway came from the country, because Alex Jaeger's origins were Norse...?
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Twas a JOKE, son. A funny. A ha-ha built upon the poorly-laid foundation of the previous.

"Jaeger" as a Gothwegian name? Hmm. Maybe.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still like Riker's command of the U.S.S. Lollipop...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Shik
Member # 343

(I used the fucking picture. HAPPY??)

I'm doing the final smoothing edits on the names for project now, & I came across the name that still seems a bit iffy now as it did 3 pages & 7 years ago: Diana, Princess Of Wales. On the one hand, I can justify it; on the other hand...can I justify it for an Ambassador & a Galaxy?

So the question remains: what makes a good starship name? I mean, obviously nothing like Hitler or Stalin or Pol Pot, but is Hirohito okay? There's a canon Malinche, who is pretty reviled in Mexico. Bernd has oft stated his distaste for the canon Zhukov due to Soviet war excesses inflicted on Germany, but is there a general or leader who is totally blameless? I have ships named after Fidel Castro & Mao Zedong; Fidel has helped the Cubans as much as he could given the embargo, & Mao was a philosopher & political theorist as well as a leader. Are they wrong? What makes a name "worthy?"

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you could argue that by the 24th century, 20th century political leaders or notable individuals are viewed in a different light than they are now. But of course, speaking in the here & now, I still haven't the foggiest idea why anyone would name a Federation starship the "U.S.S. Malinche." Not just taking into account the person herself for whom the ship is named, but the fact that there weren't any better names to be had? Starfleet must have built a million Excelsiors for one of them to have such an esoteric name.

(apparently this name was suggested by Rene Ecchevarria, which would at least explain its source, since production personnel had the annoying habit of naming ships from their own personal tastes, which was why we had ships named Billings and Bozeman...thank you very much, Mr. Braga...)

On another note, it seems that Starfleet also made some goofy decisions about starship names. For example, Zefram Cochrane, the "Father of Warp Drive," has his name attached to a measly Oberth. Wouldn't you think a man of such importance to ST history would have had a ship named after him with a little more prestige? (after all, whole planets were named after the guy...)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aside from whatever sounds cool in the production meeting... I also notice that there isn't much diversity in ship names.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I notice that too, and it's also really annoying. Like in Enterprise, when another Earth Starfleet ship was named, it was always "Intrepid," or "Yorktown," or "Republic." It was like the writers didn't have a creative bone in their bodies, which of course they didn't.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd think a large ship would use his full name, so the USS Zefram Cochrane might be a Galaxy class vessel. Isn't a Cochrane a measure of the power of a warp engine or something? It could, in theory be named for that.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Shik
Member # 343

Who do you think the unit is named after?

--------------------

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
I notice that too, and it's also really annoying. Like in Enterprise, when another Earth Starfleet ship was named, it was always "Intrepid," or "Yorktown," or "Republic." It was like the writers didn't have a creative bone in their bodies, which of course they didn't.

Back in the sixies... think about it? Commie bashing/Hollywood Press-gang Black Listing was 10 years ago then. It was radical enough to have a russian Weapons Officer (more like Duty Weps, since Ens Chechov probably only held Division Officer duties when not the bridge), let along a 'woman of color' as your Comms Officer (more inclined to think she was a HoD than just a DIVO). naming ships after our real world mortal enemies... probably would have gotten ST canned much sooner...

hmm.... here's a thought. can you name star ships using other than english? What's french for Intrepid or Exeter? could there be multiple namings of a particular word? *casts Summon Bablefish!*

intrépide

intrépido

furchtlos

бестрепетно

this could be fun. in the world exports of Star Trek, do they translate the names of ships into local verbage?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

quote:
hmm.... here's a thought. can you name star ships using other than english? What's french for Intrepid or Exeter? could there be multiple namings of a particular word? *casts Summon Bablefish!*
They did name a ship using a language other than English: The Tsiolkovsky, whose dedication plaque was in Cyrillic. If they had bothered to relabel the actual model, those would have been the characters they would have used.
Shik
Member # 343

I'm not so sure when you think about it?

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.