Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ship Names (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Ship Names
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
Well, you could argue that by the 24th century, 20th century political leaders or notable individuals are viewed in a different light than they are now. But of course, speaking in the here & now, I still haven't the foggiest idea why anyone would name a Federation starship the "U.S.S. Malinche." Not just taking into account the person herself for whom the ship is named, but the fact that there weren't any better names to be had? Starfleet must have built a million Excelsiors for one of them to have such an esoteric name.

(apparently this name was suggested by Rene Ecchevarria, which would at least explain its source, since production personnel had the annoying habit of naming ships from their own personal tastes, which was why we had ships named Billings and Bozeman...thank you very much, Mr. Braga...)

On another note, it seems that Starfleet also made some goofy decisions about starship names. For example, Zefram Cochrane, the "Father of Warp Drive," has his name attached to a measly Oberth. Wouldn't you think a man of such importance to ST history would have had a ship named after him with a little more prestige? (after all, whole planets were named after the guy...)

Hey! Quit crapping on my Oberth! Lets be honest, naming a science and exploration vessel after a famous scientist and explorer makes more sense than naming a cruiser or transport after him.

As for what constitutes an appropriate name, I dare say 400 years can give a new perspective on history and allot of the old provincial attitudes simply won't apply anymore.
I seam to recall JMS saying something along the same lines when someone asked him why call and explorer ship in B5 "Cortez"?
Here's his responce....
quote:
So tell me, Ligia, if Cortez had NOT landed in northern Mexico, do
you think it would have remained undiscovered until now?

Fact #1: somebody was bound to discover the Americas.

Fact #2: any sufficiently advanced civilization or culture will
inevitably attempt to exploit any civilization or culture not sufficiently
advanced to fight back on a level playing field.

Blaming explorers for exploring has always seemed to me really kind
of silly; do people *really* think that if Columbus hadn't landed here,
it'd be 1994 and we still wouldn't know the world was round and that
this continent was here? It doesn't matter who discovered it, the same
result would've come. Somebody had to discover it sooner or later.

jms

As for obscure references go; also remember that they have four more centuries of events and personalities to draw from, so who knows what happened in that time that we don't know about. Think of all the federation presidents, the scientists, the starship captains, all the new colonial cities, the ambassadors, philosophers, star names, the famous and the infamous. Strictly speaking, by the 24th century we should have trouble understanding their English because of this, as a language naturally evolves over time and is very much influenced by the changes in culture( apparantly the UT in our tellies has a cultural filter [Wink] .) With that in mind you can justify almost any name.
Not Diana, Princess of Wales though. That's just tacky and I doubt she'll be much more than a footnote in 400 years. On the other hand, Diana - goddess of the hunt and third largest Luna settlement; that's just fine.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That arguement from JMS is complete shit. Yes, someone from Europe would eventually have popularized the existence of the Americas. And, yeah, someone from Europe probably would have ended up fucking over the natives. Honoring the person who did the first thing would be just fine, if the same person didn't do the second thing, too.
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
hmm.... here's a thought. can you name star ships using other than english? What's french for Intrepid or Exeter? could there be multiple namings of a particular word? *casts Summon Bablefish!*
They did name a ship using a language other than English: The Tsiolkovsky, whose dedication plaque was in Cyrillic. If they had bothered to relabel the actual model, those would have been the characters they would have used.
But Tsiolkovsky is a name, not a word, and Cyrillic is an alphabet, not a language, so I don't know if it qualifies as being named in a language other than English.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget that the USS Adelphi, mentioned in TNG's "Tin Man", is named after Adelphi, MD, where the scripts' writers -- and me too, actually -- lived.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked in Star Wars Starship Creator: Warp II how the Klingon BoP had it's name written in piQaD (er, piq'aD? something like that...) instead of Latin letters.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
I liked in Star Wars Starship Creator: Warp II how the Klingon BoP had it's name written in piQaD (er, piq'aD? something like that...) instead of Latin letters.

Now, my memory must be foggy, when exactly did the Klingons fight the Empire? Or did they fight the Rebels? [Wink]

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Oops. What the frak was I thinking? Leave me alone. I'm tired and smell of fried chicken products.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
hmm.... here's a thought. can you name star ships using other than english? What's french for Intrepid or Exeter? could there be multiple namings of a particular word? *casts Summon Bablefish!*
They did name a ship using a language other than English: The Tsiolkovsky, whose dedication plaque was in Cyrillic. If they had bothered to relabel the actual model, those would have been the characters they would have used.
But Tsiolkovsky is a name, not a word, and Cyrillic is an alphabet, not a language, so I don't know if it qualifies as being named in a language other than English.
Well off the top of my head there was the Mariposa, the Velikan, the Hokule'a and I suppose the Shiku Maru and the Kobayashi Maru count.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oops. What the frak was I thinking? Leave me alone. I'm tired and smell of fried chicken products.

I told you not to use chicken grease as lubricant....(shakes head)
You probably have all the neighborhood cats following you home again, dont you?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

My mom happens to have two cats. One of them hates chicken. He prefers macaroni and cheese.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So then you must feed him Daniel's favourite macaroni and cheese, then?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

If there's a joke there, I'm not getting it. :-/ I tend to feed him my own blood. He is a biting cat.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRKCzCPn3UE

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

That was obscure. You *geek.* [Big Grin]
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Fuck yeah.

I even know what episode that is from. [Razz]

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps