Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ship Names (Page 7)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Ship Names
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, so, does "maru" get appended to spaceship names in Japan?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we've only had two examples to go by (Kobayashi Maru and Shika Maru) so its hard to say.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the real world it's a Japanese naming convention, mostly for no-military ships (especially fishing boats) although that wasn't always the case. In literal terms it means "circle" and there are a few theories as to it's significance, but mostly it seams to be a good luck superstition that's become a tradition.

As far as Star Trek is concerned, I take it that the two ships mentioned (one of which I consider fictional anyway) I tend to assume they're from ports and colonies with a strong Japanese cultural heritage. Since the early colonist would have lifted off from Earth's surface (rather than embarking in orbit) it stands to reason that the large groups of settlers were mostly from the same region, so it stands to reason you'd get Earth colonies with strong cultural ties to one Earth culture in particular. So by that logic Tau Ceti IV was initially settled by Japanese.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For example, that Scottish colony Crusher's grandmother died at...I forget it's name. You know. Ana-whatsit lifeform, lived in a candle.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And that Native American Colony in the DMZ and the ship full of Irish Pub/tourist trap performers...

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't they call those people Oirish? In the Encyclopedia or somewhere?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was asking about actual Japanese spaceships, or, at least, actual fictional Japanese spaceships, of which my knowledge is limited to the Bebop.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My knowledge of fictional Japanese spaceships is limited to CE-era Gundam, so that's not very indicative either...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps