Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ultimate Ship List (cont.) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ultimate Ship List (cont.)
Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is my ship list. Please do not reproduce any part of this document without my written consent. Feel free to offer any criticism, but DO NOT get into arguments about registries, ship spelling, or anything else.

This is my interpretation of what has been seen in various episodes, movies, books, and other materials.

This list is far from complete. At font size 12, it is currently 92 pages. I estimate the fianl version to be around 400 pages, plus added space for schematics.

Feel free to e-mail me with suggestions for improvement. This will be very much appreciated.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

[This message was edited by Federation Shipmaster on April 13, 1999.]

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The list is now available at www.geocities.com/Area51/Shuttle/2993/Fedship3.txt , thanks to Fabrux.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One word: Oy...

:-)

------------------
"I KNOW I'm dense..."
-a certain anonymous administrator

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there's an excellent reason why the is the same ship as in "Cause and Effect." The ship is only about twenty to thirty years old! It was effectively in stasis for 90 years; so what if all other Soyuz-class vessels have long since been retired? This spaceframe is spanking new compared to some of the Mirandas they have out there.

And never, EVER mention "Ship Of The Line" again. It sucked dogs in hell. I'm surprised Kelsey Grammer didn't sue over his picture on the cover. . .

------------------
"I am greater than the stars for I know that they are up there and they do not know that I am down here." - William Temple

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

Anyone care to critique it?

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...sucked dogs in hell"? There's a new one... :-)

And the Bozeman should actually only be about seven years old now. But the Soyuz class was retired only ten years after it was launched. Doesn't that seem a bit odd? I mean, if the service-life-expectancy for the ship is, say, 50 years, then the class shouldn't be retired until 50 years after the last ones are built. If the service-life is something else, then they should be retired that many years after. But I find it hard to believe that they built a class w/ a ten-year service-life. I'm thinking there was something wrong w/ the class...

------------------
"I prefer much more diplomatic ways of pissing people off."
-a certain anonymous administrator

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also possible that the Soyuz class is older then the Miranda class. I mean, they do look similar, but look at the Nebula, New Orleans, and Cheyenne compared to their newer cousin, the Galaxy.

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

[This message was edited by The359 on April 16, 1999.]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, I came up with what I thought was a rather nice Soyuz theory back in the previous incarnation of this thread...not like anyone read it or anything.

------------------
"I'm sick, like Nixon was sick, my defeated heart keeps beating on. I won't die, like Chucky won't die."
--
They Might Be Giants

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim: I don't think I made it up. . .

If the Bozeman is only seven years old, that reinforces my point.

As for the chance of the Soyuz being older than the Miranda, how about this: suppose that - as has been postulated - the Mirandas had been refit just as the Constitutions were? They could have decided to go even further and make a cargo/patrol/scout/whatever version of the ship, which made it so different they gave the refit-plus ships a new class name, of Soyuz?

What was you theory, Simon? I hope it wasn't what I just said. . . 8)

------------------
"I am greater than the stars for I know that they are up there and they do not know that I am down here." - William Temple

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it wasn't the same, though that isn't a bad suggestion.

My earlier post, in a somewhat condensed form:

I contend that the Soyuz class was a testbed for new technologies. Based on readily available Miranda hulls, the ships were grabbed during early phases of production to be used in experiments.

I would further suggest that the Soyuz was only meant as a stopgap measure, until a better design presented itself. Upon the construction of that new class, the Soyuz class was retired. That doesn't necessarily mean all Soyuz ships immediately were taken out of service, though they may have been removed from active service. Some, as Frank suggests, could have been recommissioned as Mirandas. Others might have just been pushed out as is, or given to various civilian agencies. Some would have no doubt remained in the hands of ship designers.

I'm reasonably sure that would cover everything we know about the class. Anything I missed?

------------------
"I'm sick, like Nixon was sick, my defeated heart keeps beating on. I won't die, like Chucky won't die."
--
They Might Be Giants

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

Criticism please?

That's why they call me the Shipmaster.

------------------

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Federation Shipmaster, I observe that you use canon and non-canon sources. A list should have a bibliography so that others can research the sources, judge the validity of the sources, and use the information or not in a ship list.
IP: Logged
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy *^$%! that Jenolan Class is *&%*ing huge!
Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Trinculo that giving sources is important. Adding sources to a list this long is a big job. (FedSM: was it all compiled by you or is it an editing and expansion of James Dixon's Class One Ships of the Line file?)

There also seem to be quite a lot missing...

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

Brown: It's Sydney class.

My major sources:

Star Trek Encyclopedia
James Dixon's Chronology
D.J. Creighton's site
Er....I could put up a ZIP file without about 300 URL's listing about 3/4s of my ships, but maybe not.

I have no idea how I could possibly make a complete bibliography, as many of the websites no longer exist or have been moved to a new location that I am not aware of. Furthermore, due to time constraints, I could not begin to compile a list of sources until June.

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps