Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Warbird (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Warbird
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting side-note:
The seem to be at least two types of Warbirds, since one of them was called 'Class-B' by the Enterprise's resident nitpicker (aka Data).

Since a D'deridex is about twice the size of a GCS, I'd think it is a serious threat to any Fed ship. Perhaps the best chances are for Defiants and Intrepids (which singlehandedly can destroy the entire Collective...*sigh*).
Another point in favor of the Warbird is the sheer number of them. Even on non-vital missions, there are several of these huge vessels.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, sheer number? We've never seen more than three or four of the things onscreen at any one time, even during the last episodes of DS9.
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HALON: According to some books that I've read and other Internet stuff the impression is given that the Romulan Warbird is more powerful than a Galaxy. The only problem is that they are so big and take a long time to build that only so many can be in active service. Also, with requiring more crew, the Romulans can only afford to maintain so many of them.

Check out: http://www.ditl.org/ - the site covers a lot of actual facts and canon about ships in the Star Trek universe and has a few pictures too. This particular site guesses that the Romulans only had 785 Warbirds with the rest of their fleet being made up of smaller ships. Compared to Starfleet's 9,000-odd fleet, that's not many. With so many having been lost in the Dominion War (about 42% of those 785), the Romulan fleet is not quite as threatening as it once was.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ditl is a crap place to quote from. sorry.
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As well as the Borg threat, it's my opinion that the Feds began building more advanced and offensive ships to answer the quite relevant Romulan threat, as the Galaxy class, the so called flagship class would in many cases have come off second best in a one-on-one with a Warbird. So we now see the likes of many more Defiants, Akiras, and the new Soveriegn. It was indeed interesting to see those two Defiant and one Akira class ships take on three Romulan warbirds in 'Message in a Bottle', and win.

I doubt tho that a lone Interpeid would stand much of a chance. In my book the Intrepid can be no more than a Medium Cruiser insofar as a hardware designation goes.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

HALON
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that the defiant and akira class ships are powerful indeed,but to take on 3 warbirds and win?
my friends...cough(bullshit)cough. I think thats more of the writing of the producers cause the good guy no matter how out gunned and out numbered doesnt lose..cause there wouldnt be a show if that happend. But thats my own opinion.
What do the rest yall think about it?

And how do you put your quote at the bottom of the reply? Im new at this please bear with me on it till i catch on.

IP: Logged
akb1979
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheF0rce: I'll admit that it's not the best site available, but at least it is a start.

HALON: I believe that they call it "deus ex machina"

--------------------

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry i didn't mean crap-don't get me wrong
it took time and effort to come up with that site.

but...alot of the statistics and general fleet # presented there is biased toward the feds and carries not any more credibilty as someone else making another site stating there were 2000 warbirds.

HALON
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I looked at the site,besides some technical stuff that may be indifferent to other species some of it was useful.Some of my friends had a hard(really hard)time believing that the warbird was twice the size of the galaxy..and still made the sovereign look kinda tiny..well sure ass shit i proved it to them.lets say I made them my bitches for the rest of the night cause we had a bet going. They swore up and down that they were near to equal size. I couldnt help but bet a a couple beers on it.
IP: Logged
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone please tell me Harry's comment about the Intrepid and the Borg up there is NOT "Endgame"-related? That would really help in keeping me from ripping his head off.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, that was just a reference to things like Voyager destroying a fancy 'Class Four Tactical Cube', whereas an entire Federation *fleet* can't destroy one standard cube. IIRC, Voyager destroyed multiple Cubes in history.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

akb1979
Member # 557

The only reason that 2 Defiants and an Akira won against 3 Warbirds is because the good guys always have to win. The writers put in what is called "deus ex machina". In other words, they were lazy.

--------------------

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the reason why the Federation won that battle against the Romulans in Message ina Bottle:

The Akira, Defiants and three Prometheus sections fired on one warbird and destroyed it. Quite obviously.

That left two (or three) Warbirds against one Akira Class starship, two Defiant class ships, and three equally powerful Prometheus sections. So in simple terms the Romulans thought to themselves, "hmm, okay then", and made a swift retreat.

This wasn't lazy writing it was highly plausible. And remember, this was the first time ever that a warbird had been destroyed by Starfleet forces on screen.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

akb1979
Member # 557

Fair point well made.

I never considedered that . . . pretty damn plausable - nice one.

--------------------

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

It does seem possible that this is what happened, and perhaps the Romulans also wanted to avoid any further possibility of a very serious interstellar incident. I mean, if the Federation didn't have their hands full with the Dominion at the time, they may very well have declared war against the Romulans for pulling that stunt, ie a hostile takeover of a Federation ship and the murder of her crew. Talk about audacity. The Romulans are also known to be somewhat reluctant in over committing themselves, so perhaps that's another reason for their retreat.

Going briefly back to one of Harry's points, I know no information on any other type of Warbird other than the D'deridex, or 'Type-B' as Starfleet designates it. It's possible that a 'Type-A' was an older warbird variation from earlier in the century, and the new, more powerful version was then classes as the 'Type-B'.

[ June 08, 2001: Message edited by: The Red Admiral ]

--------------------

The ASDB

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps