Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Warbird (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Warbird
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I mean, if the Federation didn't have their hands full with the Dominion at the time, they may very well have declared war against the Romulans for pulling that stunt

Um, unless the Federation defrosted Ronald Reagan to supervise foreign policy, that strikes me as a bit out-of-line with what we've come to expect from them.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just coming into this thread in the middle... quite literally I started reading and am posting my reply at the end of the second page...

1. D'Deridex and type A/B Warbirds. I've been giving this explanation for a long time - and it sorta fits so here tis again...

The D'Deridex is the 'smaller' of the two types of Warbird as dubbed the 'B-type'. I believe this to be the most common type of Warbird we see through the rest of TNG.

The A-type, I reckon is the much bigger (almost twice the size?) Warbird from "The Neutral Zone". It would make sense to send the biggest ship they've got to investigate a threat that could 'scoop' their bases out of the ground. Also it would be PERFECT for meeting the Federation again after so many years of isolation. I feel there aren't many - maybe only 1 or 2 of these big babies. The rest of the time we have seen type B's... i.e. in Tin Man when we get a very nice size comparison between the E-D and the warbirds.

Also reguarding the Romulans in Message in a Bottle, I've always felt that the Romulans shouldn't have been the 'force' behind the capture of the Prometheus. I feel it would have made much more sense for Rogue Ferengi - or just Ferengi... to be stealing the ship. (It wouldn't have been their first time). It would have made much more sense - the Doctor's "I don't care attitude" towards the healing of the injured patient. The fact that the ship was being stolen and there were no 'repercussions'. That the enemy ship was destroyed (relatively easy). Also that it would have been nice to see some Marauders doing some nasty work - seeing as they are nearly as powerful as a Galaxy class... and this sort of 'picking off starships' is more of a Ferengi thing - than full scale attack. ALSO the Ferengi would have used such a ship to strip it down and sell of its secrets for a great profit. ANNNDDDDD that the whole paranoia thing with the Captain would have worked better coming from a Ferengi - especially one pulling of such a dangerous thing as stealing a Fed starship...

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also agree that the Federation would not declare war against the Romulans. They prefer peaceful methods and would probably just cut their losses with the Romulans as they may be potential allies against the Dominon (as they actually became). Just try declaring war in BOTF while playing the UFP - the people don't like it. I'm assuming that the same applied to the series (plus it's much more difficult to fight two wars than one).

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't like the idea of Ferengi stealing the Prometheus. I for one couldn't believe those dumb Ferengi numbskulls were able to take over the Enterprise-D (the Federation flagship!) so damn easily in Rascals. No, I just don't buy it. Rascals was the most nasty cringe-worthy TNG episode ever, and for them to then take the Prometheus, no way, they just A.) don't have the military skill, and B.) the nerve to do it.

For me, the Romulan Tal Shiar wanting to possess the Federation's most secret and advanced starship poototype makes infinitely more sense.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeh, and akb1979, I love BOTF too, and you're right it is indeed realistic how the Feds morale dips severely when declaring war. But wadda you do if the Romulans are marauding through your systems raiding and taking out starbases, you've just got to respond haven't you! And sabotage events, damn doesn't that ever get on your nerves...

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

SABOTAGE! WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT! HOW DARE YOU USE SUCH FILTHY LANGUAGE IN MY PRESENCE!

Yes, sabotage is a bugger - especially on the Impossible level. Romulans ignoring your boarders? Just build loads of ships and blow them up. That'll boost you population's moral, making them more productive and more sympathetic to the military too. Then whe you keep on blowin' Romulan ships and outposts up, they'll declare war on you. This will again increase support for your military and all you have to do then is keep the Rolulans from attacking one of your systems. This is made all the more difficult with them owning cloaking devices - just have loads of Ambassadors or Constellations.

Of course, all that is more than enough for a seasoned BOTF player to deal with. But of course, when playing on the Impossible level, the computer throws a Borg cube at you - several million dead and over forty ships lost.

"WHAT! A second cube! Oh shit! Where's my defence fleet?" You ask.

"Erm, between these wars with the Romulans, Klingons, Ferengi and Cardassians and the recent Borg assault, we have no ships left and the soonest that a military ship can be built is 23 turns." Replies a military officer. But at this rate you'll be dead in 7 turns. Ah the joy of getting your ass totally kicked on the Impossible setting. Good job I've got some cheats for just such an occasion - instant fleet, YEAH! You start on Tech Level 1, with all other opponents on Tech Level 8 and you still kick ass! HEHE!

[ June 09, 2001: Message edited by: akb1979 ]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would having cheats just make the game immediately boring.

Also, I wish there would be some advancement in these turn based strategy games, the all feel the same. Can't there be some sort of 'original' reaction by the computer - instead of the usual 'morale down' 'build ships' 'attack' 'research' etc. It all comes down to MUDs... it's all just hack and slash wehn you get down to the nitty-gritty.

OH, Re the Ferengi - Ignoring 'Rascals' and thinking about it logically - Ferengi have become the 'laughing stock' but when the time was right and when the right Daimon came along (with enough Latinum) I believe the Ferengi could be quite a formidable force - as long it was justified in Ferengi ethics for them to steal something like the Prommie, I believe they could do it. That is Ignoring 'Rascals' - cause well, what was the method behind that Daimon's madness??

Also, I just got Voyager 7.3 and caught 'Inside Man' - not a bad episode AT ALL! A Marauder! Although the CGI of it sucked badly... very dodgey compared to our last views of that ship. All fuzzy and stuff - even not when near the Red Giant...

Anyone notice the 'schematic' shown... was EXACTLY the same schematic as found in the Fact Files!?! - sorta looses the believability when you see this...

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

If the Ferengi ever illegally set foot on a Federation ship again I'll eat my TOS phaser. The Ferengi are but a minor military force, a bunch of hucksters and scavengers. Starfleet are well aware of whatever threat they represent and would be more than ready.

Back to BOTF, i'm a seasoned player as well and have whooped ass on impossible level. Two Borg cubes? - that's a luxury mate! I recently had a three Borg cube invasion, whilst also having a Terrelian ship, the Dreadnought AND the Calamarian swarming through my space. They took out ninety percent of the Romulan empire before starting on me. That allowed me to position a 94 strong fleet in the Yridian system, (with a 580 population - a starship building mass production line basically). The force was made up of 30 Dreadnoughts and Defiants and about 20 backup Galaxy-X heavy cruisers and 10 Nebulas. In front were 30 more Constellation heavy destoryers. I cornered each cube in turn and sent them home crying.

You just gotta love this game.

--------------------

The ASDB

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

And I don't ever use the MUDD cheat command, it spoils the spirit of the game. I only used it once on perhaps the second or third time I played the game - ages ago when i was totally decimated by the Ferengi. I survived the onslaught the best I could and quietly built a 70 strong Dreadnought force with the ill-gotten credits. I had just Sol left, and I set out to confront the Ferengi fleet, and lost, horribly to a force of more than 150 mauraders et al. That was painful! And that was also the first and only time the Federation fell while I was playing them. I lost another time as the Cardies tho.

--------------------

The ASDB

HALON
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what game are you all talking about? I play armada but it doesnt sound like that what your playing..oh and another question..was there really 2 types of warbirds? if so which was bigger or better?
IP: Logged
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Sorry, I went off on a tangent. we were talking about 'Star Trek: Birth of The Federation' -distributed by Microprose. It's a game for the PC. Never played it? If you love Trek, which you obviously do because you're here, and you like exciting strategic turn-based games I sincerely urge you to buy it immediately.

(warning: it is highly addictive, and may end up seriously disturbing ones daily routine of life.)

BTW.. any other other type of warbird (than D'deridex)is conjectural. there's no canon info to suggest the specs of a Type-A variant. But as there's a Type-B, a Type-A must exist, or have existed at some point

--------------------

The ASDB

HALON
Ex-Member

Leet...well thank you for the name of the game,i do believe ill be running out to the computer store today to pick me up one.

hopefully they have some in...

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should warn you though. It's buggier than Armada, DO NOT even attempt to run it without the patch (upgrades the game to version 1.02, fixes some bugs - though not the serious ones (MEMORY LEAK) - and creates a few others), or you'll regret it.

Don't let that spoil the fun though, once you get into the game it's quite entertaining if you're willing to look past its weak points - diplomacy being the worst one. Multiplayer is the best way to experience BotF

[ June 11, 2001: Message edited by: The_Evil_Lord ]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Agreed, the 1.0.2 patch is essential. But I'm not sure where it's available to d/l, as Microprose and their site no longer function, as they were bought out by Hasbro. They supposedly now support the game but haven't supplied the patch (about 12MB). So good luck with that.

Multiplayer is a great laugh, a standard 56K modem connection isn't so reliable. You might have to network two machines to play in this mode as Micrsofts Gaming Zone no longer runs this game for multiplayer.

--------------------

The ASDB

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

you can get the patch here: page with 1.02 patch
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps