Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Transporter Continuity (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Transporter Continuity
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why was the Voyager transporter beam different from the TNG movies? Also, are the TNG movie beams different from movie to movie? And what about DS9 during this time. I remember they used the TNG series one before the movies for runabouts and the like. What about after? And finally, what's the point? Obviously each VFX team has to have its own pretty thing, but is there any possible technical explanation (rationalization I should say) as to why? (as a note, Endgame used the same effect as all of Voyager, where AGT changed it for the future versions).

[ June 16, 2001: Message edited by: Stingray ]

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For all we know transporters probably have visualization plug-ins like Winamp or something.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose like all technological fields transporter systems are continuously upgraded, refined and enhanced. This is the only explanation I can think of as to the disparate visual appearacne of the de-materialization/materialization sequence.

We know with reasonable assurance that in this field we have observed a distinct increase in speed in the transport process since the beginning of TNG. This is due to technological advances, quite obviously. I only hope that the 'Enterprise' series is true to this precedent and utilizes a realistically slower and more cumbersome transport sequence than the ones used in TOS.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's assuming series V will feature transporters, which it shouldn't (at best very, very early prototypes - but I doubt those would be installed on such a primitive ship...). Shuttlecraft will probably be the main means of getting down to a planet's surface (I so much *hope* they'll maintain continuity as far as this aspect of the show is concerned - i.e., no infinite supply of shuttles).

[ June 16, 2001: Message edited by: The_Evil_Lord ]

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, Evil Lord, you do know what Brannon Braga is calling the shots this series don't you?

In fact, I don't know if they'll even bother to include Roddenberry's name in the credits. They probably will just for the sake of it, but if they're ditching Star Trek from the title...

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*whallops Hobbes with a large Trout named Kilgore*

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, if like me you want to see continuity in the Star Trek universe, the 'pre-Enterprise' should not have transporters. Period. But the whole point of having transporters on TOS was for 'story telling' sake, ie it was far more convenient to have them beam down immediately to any location, rather than have to embark on a tedious shuttle mission every time the crew wanted to visit the surface.

So rather than investigate true Trek canon, and give some thought and respect to the Trek chronology in regards to technological compatibility with what has been established on the other Trek shows - most relevantly TOS, 'Enterprise' will employ transporters for the sole reason explained above - the ease and convenience of story telling.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC the reason for transporters was that they couldn't afford to use the shuttle everytime they needed to go to a planet. Actually, I don't think there was even a shuttle set or mock-up until later in the show when they had the money to build it.

Also, witness B5. They didn't have "tedious shuttle flights", they just sped things up a bit.

"Okay, we have to get in a shuttle and head down to the planet."
*one minute later*
"Okay, now that we've made it safely to the surface..."

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Transporters and continuity? HAH! That's funny. That whole talking while beaming thing in II and VI, the change in beam effects between series...

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

B5 was different though, they were not bound by the same production precepts that were in place in the sixties. Then, they needed quick, clear, clean cut action without too much complication.

B5 obviously had to use shuttles because they coudn't possibly employ transporter-type technology. They had to set themselves apart from Trek. To have used them would've been seen as a blatent rip off of Trek.

In TOS 'teleportation' was used to implement quick and precise movement to external locations. The theory regarding the inavailability of a shuttle set may indeed have been another factor.

--------------------

The ASDB

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of transporter evolution...

In "Family Business", I think Sisko and Yates had a discussion about the quality of transporters aboard the Xhosa. It was told that transporters came in "marks", and Kasidy's old "mark V" was too primitive to handle the transportation of some delicate goods, so her crew had to haul the barrels by hand. Ben had thought Kasidy had the old model "mark VI" aboard, so presumably the modern TNG-style variant used by Sisko himself was mark VII or newer. (Note that they are apparently indeed discussing the age of the system, and not something like affordability, with Kasidy having bought the economy model of a modern device - I don't remember the dialogue word for word, but will check.)

Now, seven consecutive, gradually evolving marks or more (eight or more if we say the Voyager version came later) is just barely enough to account for all the transporter visual effects we have seen so far. Kirk's gold-shimmering TOS device (and the Jenolan's or the Ligonians' device) could be, say, mark III. Then there would be a blue-sparkling mark IV for ST:TMP, lasting for little over a decade; mark V with those scanning lines for the TOS movies; mark VI in between, if Paramount wants to revisit the E-C era or something; and finally mark VII for TNG, to be followed by mark VIII for Voyager and the TNG movies (these effects share such great commonality that I think they should be regarded as the same).

This leaves two marks for pre-TOS times, and gives an average of about 15 years of "mark lifetime". If we assume that the rapid discarding of the TMP version was due to an atypical failure of that design, then we can hike the lifetime closer to 20 years. This would place mark I somewhere in the 2230s-40s - which is exactly where fanfic has been placing it all the time!

One could say that marks were only assigned to human-cleared systems, and that cargo transporters and experimental, transporter-psychosis-inducing teleportation devices were in existence for some decades before that. This would still leave the device history somewhat short of the mid-22nd century mark...

One could of course also say that the marks do not proceed chronologically after all, nor span the whole history of the transporter technology. They could parallel the shuttlecraft "types" or "classes", neither of which has shown a satisfactory linear trend (class 4 for the TNG "van" in "The Outcast" yet class 2 for the VOY "sportscar" in "Drone" or "Extreme Risk", and no canon confirmation of types at all - and the type numbers are only at 9 now, even though shuttle design lifetime seems awfully short and dozens if not hundreds types of shuttles would be expected to have been created by TNG time).

Timo Saloniemi

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mind you, in Crusade they often made use of shuttles - well, they had no choice did they? And they often had scenes set in shuttles en route to or from the Excalibur. . . which didn't work very well. Their interior redesign of the standard Earthforce shuttle looked silly, it was just crap. But then Crusade in general was crap.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo: Maybe a change in the visual doesn't necessarily denote a change in mark number. Maybe the mark number only changes when there is a significant change, and just a change in the shimmer effects doesn't denote such. After all, computer programs don't get a new version number every time something changes about them. You'll have v1, followed by v1.1, v1.2, v1.21, v1.5, and so on, then eventually you'll get to v2. The mark numbers could work the same way. You could have a bunch of different transporters w/ a bunch of different effects, and they're all called "mark III", and mark IV doesn't come around until there's some significant fundamental change in the technology...
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could also be the case that, at least among Federation transporters, the visual effect depends to a great deal on how the individual transporter is setup/aligned/tuned. So Voyager's transporters might look the way they do thanks to whatever engineering team installed them, whereas the Enterprise E's slightly different effect comes from some tweaks LaForge has made.
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Voyager's transporters might look the way they do thanks to whatever engineering team installed them, whereas the Enterprise E's slightly different effect comes from some tweaks LaForge has made.

My thoughts exactly. Transporter effect is generally the same in the Federation 24th century.. hell its only slightly diffrent in the 29th century.

The transport effect differs from species to species. Personally, I like the Borg and Cardasian versions.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps