Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Transporter Continuity (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Transporter Continuity
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We can't really know. Maybe only a slight change in the transporter setting significantly changes the visible effect and the color. Only the speed would be a sure sign of the kind or age of technology employed.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/170601_01.shtml
The Enterprise will have a transporter (and imagine how pissed I am about that). The only thing I can do is observe the transport effect with a stop watch.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder. . . has anyone ever tried to catalogue all the various transporter effects, and how long they take? I guess it'd go something like this:

"The Cage:" Can't remember
TOS: Classic whine and gold shiimmer
TAS: Animated version of above
Movies 1-6: various effects, can't remember much except it seemed to be variations on lights, glows and shimmers
TNG/DS9: basically stayed the same.
Generations: can't remember
FC: definitely different
Insurrection: bit more TNG-like again
Voyager: the strange one, you know, two lights start in middle, move up and down, plus shimmer. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TMP: Slooowwwww. First type which required anti-radiation shielding. (Don't go in here if you are a Vulcan captain or a redshirt).

TWOK: You can talk through them, and that's about all I remember about them.

STIII: Like all things in that movie, it made a strange sound.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cage, TOS, TAS: Basically the same slow golden sparkle effect in all. People seem immobilized by the onset of the beam, yet they do end up in different positions than what they had when starting (phasers move from holster to hand etc.).

TMP: Blue variant of the above, with nifty "eddy currents" flowing in 3D all across the transportee's surface, instead of just sparkles.

ST2-ST6: Essentially the same effect in all of these, with "scan lines" similar to the later Voyager effect and with minimal sparkles. Only minor variations in color. Moving within the beam seems easy; people don't seem to maintain a rigid pose through the process in any of the cases.

TNG, DS9, Generations: Rapid white "waterfall" effect. Despite people often maintaining rigid poses, we get canon confirmation that one can move during transportation, and even look and feel around in the transporter beam's "phased realm".

Voyager: Scan lines added to waterfall, tinted towards blue. People always move within the beam.

First Contact: Simple waterfall? Rigid poses.

Insurrection: Very little transporting performed by Federation devices. How was Picard snatched to safety in the end? I seem to remember simple waterfall.

Timo Saloniemi

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work. 8)

First Contact also had a network of stars that seemed to move downwards in a spiral pattern, I think. It definitely wasn't just the TNG waterfall.

The movie beams always had this disassociated blue or red glow that almost filled the transporter area. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that in the movies, blue was Federaton, and Red was Klingon.

Did we see any other races transporter beams?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Realm of Fear" showed Barclay moving around while he should have been totally energized. Personally, I think he was moving in his mind, but not physically. When the other person touched him, his consciousness interpreted it as a creature biting his arm (I suppose it touched the matter that would later reconstitute his arm), but everything he saw was more like a dream. After all, he imagined those people as giant flying slugs...

I suspect that, when we see people moving in the beam, that's actually just the scanning process. From the moment of dematerialization to the moment of rematerialization, they can't really move (duh... all their bits aren't connected to each other...).

Beamie
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

It is right you cant't move in the Beam. If you can, the Molecular Imaging Scanners coulnd't read you correct and the we have an nice Transporter accident

The Borg and the Romulan beam is Green
The Cardassian: is gold

Greetings Beamie

IP: Logged
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "Relics", when Scotty steps off the pad on the E-D, he remarks to Geordi that, "You changed the resonator array!" Since he obviously hasn't openend up a transporter and taken a look inside yet, and only expierienced a new transport, he must be talking about something that is apparent from the process itself. I assume that the writers intended him to mean the visual affect we all know and love.

Although, I couldn't find anything in the TNG TM under transporters about 'resonator arrays' or anything concerning the look of the thing.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's because the TNGTM came out before "Relics", and it was probably something the writers made up just for that instance.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps