Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Miranda Class mystery (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Miranda Class mystery
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is just one of several problems I have with more than one class ship. Forgive me though if this is old thread, or has been brought up before.

But basically my query is this: Where is the deflector dish on the Miranda Class? It has no visible, forward facing deflector at all, and i have often pondered this conundrum. The Constellation Class and Oberth also lack this obviously significant equipment. So what's with these classes? Perhaps they employ a different method for dispersing hazardous space material from the ships flight path.

Thoughts?

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we did discuss this a long time ago. The decision reached was that these ships employed navigational deflective shielding only instead of a navigational deflective beam and shielding. Because of the low profile of the Miranda and Constellation class, this could be all that is necessary for them.

As for the Oberth, some people insist that it does have a deflector dish, albeit a funky one.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've thought that maybe the silver-ish part of the Oberth's lower pod might be some sort of deflector system.

As for the Miranda, there are those two semi-circular projections on the forward-facing side of the aft section. (I'm talking about the long flat sides with the windows, facing forward.) Those could also be some sort of deflector system.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those have been defined in the non-canon circles (ducks as rotten vegetables are thrown at him) as sensors of some sort. Take a look at Mr. Scott's Guide and Ships of the Star Fleet. (Neither of which I have on hand at the moment. I'm cleaning out my room.)

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those circular thingamabobs that project forward of the aft elevated section of the saucer? Those are not phasers nor are they sensors. You see, one is a launch bay for the captain's personal workbee. The other (portside) is actually a very big window (it's only been seen shuttered) that is part of the captain's "loveshack." He has a big heart-shaped bed and a wet bar specially outfitted with aphrodesiacs.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm, a deflector on the Miranda-class? Could it possibly resemble the one that a Galaxy-class starship has on it's saucer section? (See page 88 of the TNG Tech Manual). It's pretty small and is easy to miss - I first thought that the saucer deflector on the Enterprise-D were windows, until I got the manual that is.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....akb1979 had me scrambling for my Tech Manual... Interesting, a good point. I've often explained away the Miranda def dish mystery as being possibly to do with a number of small, barely noticed field emitter nodes that when combined together, provided all necessary forward facing deflector coverage. So perhaps indeed this is the type of system employed by Miranda, and some of it contemporaries.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look under neith the Saucer section, see that blocky cluster in the middle? that would be the main sensor array, and where is the main sensor array on most ships?
Oh look, theres a little slot facing forwards...its glowing white, I wonder what it does.

*sacasum mode odd*

yeah I know, there is one on the constellation too....but wy would the constitution need one?....*coughs* Sausersep *coughs*
who knows...

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's really quite simple. The Miranda may not have a dish, but it still has the same emmiters as the Constitution II has around it's dish.

(sorry about the large files, but I figured it was necessary for effect) =P

--------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll bet the dish is more for projecting extreme-range beams rather than the simple deflector field. In most ships they tie the deflector into the dish to increase efficiency or distance or whatever, but not all ships would necessarily need that.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought that the larger ships had deflector dishes where as the smaller ships had deflector grids that where a part of the outer hull plating. That was what I always assumed anyways.
IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Miranda is hardly alone in not having a dish. Most ships don't. Big glowing deflector dishes seem to be a Federation luxury.
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Reverend: The cluster beneath the saucer may include a sensor array, but this is also either a phaser array or torpedo launcher in the later Miranda variants.

The Vorlon: Nice picture representation, but if the Constitution has those features AND a deflector dish, it would seem to point those nodes as being separate from the dish, as the Miranda has them too, but of course no dish. They could well be sensor arrays.

--------------------

The ASDB

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Sol. Dishes are not absolutely necessary for Navigatonal Deflector systems, as indicated by the abundance of designs without dishes. Dishes are likely an enhancement which can be added to designs to increase the power or range of the deflectors, perhaps to allow for higher warp speeds or just increased protection for the more 'upper class' designs such as expensive and crew-heavy Galaxies, Sovereigns, Excelsiors, etc. Smaller, weaker ships like Mirandas and Oberths just don't need them.

In the case of the Constitution here, I'd argue that it's no coincidence that those nodes/emmiters are in such close proximity to the Deflector Dish. They are likely meant to operate together and perform similar functions.

And since the nodes/emmiters are the only similar piece of this Deflector setup visible on the Miranda, one could therefor assume that the modes are the really important pieces of a Nav Deflector system.

--------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Vorlon. I have long assumed that these were associated with the miranda's lack of a deflector dish. Perhaps the dish's function is done by that ventral platform while those other bitstake up the slack (or vice versa)

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps