Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Miranda Class mystery (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Miranda Class mystery
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It's really quite simple. The Miranda may not have a dish, but it still has the same emmiters as the Constitution II has around it's dish."

Er, surely the Constitution II has 3 of them, and the Miranda has 2?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sections on the Miranda picture that are circled - didn't the Reliant fire phasers from there during its first attack on the Enterprise?

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GAH! Where in the universe did you get that idea?! Phaser fire from there? No! Never!!

Okay, finally found Mr. Scott's Guide. And while I KNOW it's considered noncanon, a lot of stuff in here makes relative sense. According to this, those are called space-energy field attraction sensors. According to Ships of the Star Fleet, they are QIK-28 sensor modules.

And about that cluster on the bottom of the saucer, are you referring to the lower navigation dome and associated equipment? Eh, because if you are, the "little white slot" facing forward is something we like to call a "light" in layman's terms. See? It projects onto the hull to make the ship's name and registry visible.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam:

Well, the front profile of a Constitution II is larger than a Miranda's, therefore, the C II needs 3 emmiters.

???

--------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."
Kosh: "Good."

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you take a look at that dorsal view of the Reliant, there ARE three of those sensor/emitter things. Two port and starboard on the surface of the primary hull and one sitting on top of the photon-torpedo pod. All three are identical.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Adam. I misread it as "the same NUMBER of thingies".

I will shut up now.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

crobato
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a similar thread right now on trekbbs.com about the location of the Miranda's deflector. It's got pictures.

Here it is :

http://trekbbs.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000780.html

IP: Logged
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel, you are absolutely right! I never once noticed that there are three of those devices on the Reliant. I bet those are the Miranda's navigational deflection system since, like Adam proves, those exist on the Constitution refit.

But this still leaves the question open for the Constellations and other culture's ships that have no deflector dish or devices of a similar nature.

Plus, this leads to the questions of the auxiliary crafts. The Type 9/Class 2 shuttles and Data's scout ship have deflector dishes. However, the runabouts and other shuttles (the pods, Type 6/7/8) don't appear to have a navigational deflector system either. Okay, I may be wrong about the runabouts.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For this discussion, are we using the terms as understood by people in the 24th century or the 23rd century?

In the 23rd century, starships had deflector shields or screens and navigation beams.

Deflector shields or screens were used during battle or emergency situations.

Navigation beams were used for clearing a 'path' in front of a ship, like a bow wake, and for gathering sensor data.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gather that what we are looking for are devices that can create the beams that sweep the path clear of larger debris. The devices that generate more generic, englobing shields (whether for navigation or combat) can be assumed to be invisible to the exterior, or only manifesting as that "shield grid" that has become inseparable of Sternbach-era starship design.

If we accept the grey domes of the Constitution-refit and the Miranda as the actual sweep-beam emitters, then we could just as well accept the two rather large domes on the underside of the Constellation saucer as similar emitters. They look extremely well placed for such a function, and seem to have similarly flattened/angled forward surfaces. See here: there are two pairs of domes to choose from.

And if we start believing in under-saucer domes, then we have a deflector for USS Centaur, too. That leaves only one TOS-movie era ship without an obvious domed deflector beam emitter - the Excelsior, which has the blue dish but not hte grey domes. OTOH, "Generations" also establishes canonically that the dish *is* called the navigational deflector...

Timo Saloniemi

P.S. "Exhibit C" in that trekbbs.com thread is the one that shows the single ventral aft phasers on the impulse engine assembly, the ones I've been ranting about now and then. Now what the heck happened to those phasers in later versions of the model? Who removed them? Or added them for this photo? Why?

[ June 25, 2001: Message edited by: Timo ]

crobato
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
P.S. "Exhibit C" in that trekbbs.com thread is the one that shows the single ventral aft phasers on the impulse engine assembly, the ones I've been ranting about now and then. Now what the heck happened to those phasers in later versions of the model? Who removed them? Or added them for this photo? Why?

[ June 25, 2001: Message edited by: Timo ]

Good point. Maybe I'm going back there and douse them with cold water.

IP: Logged
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are those 2 blue squares on the side at the Constellation class pic?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what the two blue squares on the side are, but there's a large blue rectangle-ish thing on the forward edge of the Constellation's saucer in Timo's pic there...I've always assumed that is the deflector.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the Fact Files this is the shuttle bay.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where was I looking? A bit further up on the role bar - 45 mins into Star Trek II the Reliant fires it's phasers from half-way up the support bar that holds the torpedo launchers. I was mistaken - sorry.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps