Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Deneva-Class (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Deneva-Class
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has it actually been confirmed that the Deneva-class starship seen briefly in TNG was indeed the Merchantman model first seen in STIII?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that the ship was only seen for a few seconds before it blew up;

I know that the viewscreen image of the ship was very small;

I know that most likely it was a reuse of another model instead of a new one;

But could someone, please, post a better screencap of the ship, if at all possible???

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess there aren't any better screencaps, 'cause I think they've been asked for before...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still say, from all my reviews of the episode, and from all my squinting at the sole screencap, that it's the E-D stardrive section at a 3/4-aft angle.

--Jonah

P.S. Note that this is not what I think the Deneva actually IS, just what model they used for the shot...

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Well, call me crazy (or just uninformed ) but I could have sworn that it was confirmed as the Merchantman model!

Oh well. But by the way Perigrinus, the overall shape of the Merchantman (from some angles) looks not all too dissimilar from the Galaxy's stardrive!

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I still say, from all my reviews of the episode, and from all my squinting at the sole screencap, that it's the E-D stardrive section at a 3/4-aft angle.

I find it highly unlikely that they hauled out the huge Enterprise-D model just for a few seconds of filming for a pretty forgettable episode (remember, only the large-sized Enterprise model could seperate), especially at such a far away view.

I like to think that someone made a small, lo-rez model for the Arcos, knowing that it would be barely seen. I'm probably wrong, though. However, there has been a precedent for this in the past (Wolf 359, the Skreean kitbashes, that little spacedock shuttle with nacelles made from disposable razors, etc.)

BTW, did the ship look clearer in the actual episode than it did in the screencap? I'm not about to rent "Legacy" just for that, if the local videostore even carries that particular ep.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hate to point this out, but "Legacy" came after "Best of Both Worlds". They had several E-D stardrive sections laying around from their kitbashing parties...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right I'll see to this debate as it's an old one thats dragging on and on in one format or another. I'll investigate the footage and make some screencaps. I'll post them here in a little while.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right, all done:

POINT 1. There is nothing at all to suggest any type of Galaxy class stardrive section similarity.

POINT 2. No Starfleet logos, registry numbers, or other familiar starship elements are present.

POINT 3. Very little about this ship suggests it is a Starfleet design, or is represented by the UFP

POINT 4. No signs of a starfleet crew operating the ship, or UFP representatives.

Summary: This is not a Starfleet vessel, and this is not the Deneva class, be it a freighter or not.

[ July 03, 2001: Message edited by: The Red Admiral ]

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

Damn, I thought you meant you were going to post screencaps of "Legacy." Oh well.

I never thought the Merchantman model was the Deneva class or the Arcos anyway, but nice screencaps nevertheless.

Jonah: True, or someone just bought a new model or scratchbuilt something up.

--------------------

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

What exact caps do you want from 'Legacy'? Let me know and I'll post them here tomorrow.

--------------------

The ASDB

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can�t speak for Dukhat, but I would dearly like to see big screencaps of the deneva-class ship, please.

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red Admiral: Erm... I'm not sure if you understood the point of this debate. No-one's asking whether or not the Merchantman itself was Starfleet. What we want to know is what model was used to represent the Arcos in "Legacy". It was seen as a tiny dot for a few seconds, and then it blew up. No-one's definitively identified the model used yet, but one theory is that it was another re-use of the Merchantman model (that model was used a lot during TNG).
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

I did understand the thread, my reply was basically in response to the original thread which queried whether the Merchantman might be a Deneva Class starship. As Deneva class is (supposedly) a Starfleet classification, I simply posted some screencaps to demonstrate the disparate appearance of the Merchantman as opposed to traditional Starfleet design themes.

--------------------

The ASDB

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps