Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Hermes/Saladin/Ptolemy (Page 10)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Hermes/Saladin/Ptolemy
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er, Vanguard. Protium is simple hydrogen. It's...quite stable, I assure you. It's what we would call "the most common element in the universe."
Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mars, you're not helping.

Remember, I do do this for fun, really... my site is ABOUT Star Trek's starship technology, so, as I said, I want to keep consistant into itself, and use what material I can from the shows and fandom over the years.

I don't mind if someone is going to disagree on the tech stuff. I mind if they're being prats about it, and insisting on 'rightthink'. [Smile]

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com
www.jaynz.info - The Record of Star Fleet

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And by the way, why have you decided the arboretum obviously occupies 1/6 of the Ent-D and the hangar deck obviously occupies 1/3 of the secondary hull of the Ent-nil?
Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
Er, Vanguard. Protium is simple hydrogen. It's...quite stable, I assure you. It's what we would call "the most common element in the universe."

yeah yeah... I paid more attention to the 'free electrons' bit. [Razz]

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com

Vanguard
Member # 1780

quote:
And by the way, why have you decided the arboretum obviously occupies 1/6 of the Ent-D and the hangar deck obviously occupies 1/3 of the secondary hull of the Ent-nil?
The Hangar Deck is shown in TOS and TMP as going pretty far into the ship. (The writer's guide tech diagrams show it about as such.)

The TMP Aboreum is VISIBLE as being over two-decks high and taking up a large chunk of the front underside of the secondary hull.

Point being, really, is that most of the ship is pretty airy and roomy, unlike the Apollo or even the Space Shuttle. Heck, it's more roomy even than the Nimitz class. It's possible that 'trititanium' used for the ship's bulkheads and skin are more dense than the name would suggest, true, but stretching up the figure THAT much seems problematic.

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I was trying to lighten up the mood. In any case, the teaser for ST IX shows the Enterprise being constructed (or at least partially constructed)on the ground. So I ask how easy or difficult would it be to launch a 1000000 ton ship into space?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
If you wonder how he eats and breathes and other science facts, repeat to your self, "its just a show, I should really just relax".

What I wouldn't do for a MST3K of STV.
Really, any of the movies deserve it.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well they have Riff Trax, which features MST3K alumni doing riffs of mainstream movies. They have one for Star Trek V.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where may I purchase said Riff trax?
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Why here my good sir.

http://www.rifftrax.com/

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

The writers guides aren't canon you know...
Vanguard
Member # 1780

Ah, but you assume I REALLY care about what's 'canon'. That's your first mistake. [Smile]

In any event, of course, you do realize, that the writer's guides are by definition 'canon' for any series that they're being used. They're actually more 'canon' than what shows up on screen.

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

So...you just get to make up what you want and everyone else is wrong? Canon is what makes us all *agree* on things. Otherwise everybody's own interpretation is equally valid and that doesn't make sense for a consistent universe watched by so many people.
Vanguard
Member # 1780

No, 'canon' is what writers in the series have to adhere to when expanding on the official fiction. 'Canon' was never something for the fandom.

And you know what? The handlers of Trek, all the way back to the first season of the original series, absolutely sucked at it. That's why we have these discussions.

So, for MY purposes, yes, I get to use what I like, discard what I don't, and that's pretty much it. So long as I explain my rationale and try to be internally consistant, I'm golden.

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

quote:
Noun

Singular
canon

Plural
canons

canon (plural canons)

1. A generally accepted principle.

The trial must proceed according to the canons of law.

2. A group of literary works that are generally accepted as representing a field.

(A date for this quote is being sought): "the durable canon of American short fiction" — William Styron

3. The works of a writer that have been accepted as authentic.

the entire Shakespeare canon

4. A eucharistic prayer, particularly, the Roman Canon.
5. A religious law or body of law decreed by the church.

We must proceed according to canon law.

6. An ecclesiastical title.
7. A piece of music in which the same melody is played by different voices, but beginning at different times.

Pachelbel’s Canon has become very popular.

8. (fandom) The works considered factual or official, usually within a specific franchise, which defines events, characters, etc. that are considered to have existence within the fictional universe.

Note well nos. 2, 3, and 8.

About your last point - then you can hardly expect anybody to agree with you, can you?

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.