Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Hermes/Saladin/Ptolemy (Page 2)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Hermes/Saladin/Ptolemy
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How can you call a beauiful classic design like that ugly?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about anybody else, but I am including them in my canon ship section. Ten years ago I don't think I would have said these design are pretty, but today they definately have more appeal than some of the ships we've seen.
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
No kidding. Those designs are a hell of alot better than ships like the Freedom, Nigiria, and *shudders* the Challenger.
IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean "Niagara"?

I like the Saladin, though I think the Ptolemy could've been worked out a little better.

The Saladin is exactly the same as the Freedom except it uses Connie parts instead of Galaxy. I didn't like either of those at first, but they're both growin' on me.

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If youwant schematics of these refitted classes, check out "Ships of the Starfleet" or my own "Starfleet Dynamics".

If you want them to appear of screen -you may have a long wait.

Also - don't forget that a Scout-class vessel (Columbia?) was mentioned during overheard subspace traffic during STMP.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

MIB
Ex-Member

How do I check out your own starfleet dynamics? I'm pretty sure that Ships of Stafleet doesn't have any diagrams of the Saladin refit class.
Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing about the Franz Joseph Tech Manual is that two of the scouts listed were mentioned by name and registry (the Revere and the Columbia IIRC) in the radio chatter at the begining of ST:TMP. Someone told me the dreadnought USS Entente was also mentioned in the radio chatter but I haven't been able to catch this.

With the DVDs of TWOK and TSFS can anyone post clearer images of the screens with the FJTM ships?

Thanks

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Freedom- and Challenger-class starships! There are pictures of those? Where? I've been looking for them for ages!

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out this page for pictures of the Freedom and Challenger et al

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/wolf359.htm

Personally, I like most of these ships.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far, the following information has been taken directly from the Tech. Manual for various films:

1. Scout U.S.S. Columbia, NCC-621

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

MIB
Ex-Member

quote:
Originally posted by akb1979:
Freedom- and Challenger-class starships! There are pictures of those? Where? I've been looking for them for ages!

Go to Mr. Christopher's link. Read them and weep. Weep really hard.

The truth is that I really wouldn't mind the Niagara or Challenger at all if it weren't for the fact that the warp engines are so disproportionately large. If Okuda simply scalled down the warp engines a little bit, I would have liked both designs very much!

[ June 27, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about the double post, I accidentally hit the 'add reply' before I was done.

The following info has been taken directly from the Tech Manual for the various films:

1. Scout U.S.S. Columbia, NCC-621
(Mentioned in Epsilon IX radio chatter in TMP.
The Manual calls this Cygnus-class, but
that's not in the film.)

2. Scout U.S.S. Revere, NCC-595
(Also mentioned in TMP radio chatter. Manual
calls it a Hermes-class, but it isn't said in
the film to be of that class.)

3. Dreadnought U.S.S. Entente, NCC-2120
(This too was heard in the Epsilon IX radio
chatter in TMP. The thing is, it's very faint
and you can only hear it if you listen very
closely. It's sort of behind the rest of the
chatter, like background noise for the
background noise! Also, you may not be able
to hear it if you have the 'Special, Longer
Version' of the film, as I think some have said
it was later dubbed out. The Manual calls it
Federation-class, and a design is pictured, but
sadly, none of that is in the film. )

4. The aforementioned TWOK display ships:
a. Saladin-class destroyer U.S.S. Saladin,
NCC-500
b. Hermes-class scout U.S.S. Hermes, NCC-585
c. Ptolemy-class transport/tug U.S.S. Ptolemy,
NCC-3801

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

MIB
Ex-Member

Has the Ptolemy class actually been seen on screen? So far only screen caps of the Saladin have been posted.
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think nothing should be written down about this. Yes, we know that it is an exact copy of the sheets from the manual, BUT, since we can't see it clearly, for all we know, the production crew slightly edited a number or a name here and there to possibly make an injoke (I.E. USS Alka-Celsior). Therefore, to be quite honest, the only think we can really get for sure out of those things is that those design's existed, but registries, names, etc. I believe all cannot be considered canon (unless someone has a DAMNED good close up of that monitor)

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
4. The aforementioned TWOK display ships:
a. Saladin-class destroyer U.S.S. Saladin,
NCC-500
b. Hermes-class scout U.S.S. Hermes, NCC-585
c. Ptolemy-class transport/tug U.S.S. Ptolemy,
NCC-3801

As Harry wrote, it's the Saladin on these displays. So the Hermes NCC-585 is still non-canon.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps