Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Hermes/Saladin/Ptolemy (Page 3)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Hermes/Saladin/Ptolemy
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I forgot to add, I also listed Revere, Columbia, and Entente on my list, and I know for a fact they said 2120 on there (I listened to that damn thing SO much...). I don't know if the copy I currently own has it or not (it's the widescreen version).

I can check TWOK right now, see if I can get anything good from it.

hmmm...anyone notice how effing BIG the Kobayashi Maru is for only being a fuel carrier? 147,000+ Metric Tonnes. Yet it's only 237m in length and 111m wide. What's the tonnage on the Enterprise?

Also, the Hermes is there. The 1st screen is the top view of the Saladin, the 2nd screen is the side and front of Saladin, the 3rd screen is top of the Hermes, 4th screen is side and front of Hermes, 5th screen is top of Ptolemy, and then it ends.

[ June 27, 2001: Message edited by: The359 ]

[ June 27, 2001: Message edited by: The359 ]

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
You do that. It would be soooo sweet if we can find proof that the dreadnought is cannon....
IP: Logged
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt: Yes, well, we could just say that she's carrying heavy fuel and that tonnage is fully loaded.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
The USS Enterprise is close to a million tons. ("Mudd's Women")

As for the USS Entente, the ship has been removed from the dialogue of the Epsilon 9 exterior shots. I first noticed this in 1991 with the release of the widescreen version of The Motion Picture on video. In the place of this dialogue, there is added dialogue for the Columbia and Revere. I think this is the version that Mr. Okuda has. In his ship list, he lists every starship mentioned by name. A notable exception is the USS Entente. This starship is omitted from the list.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Franz Joseph gives the displacement of Enterprise as around 200,000 tons. The 147,000 for Kobayashi Maru seems about right based on that figure. Of course, if you believe the DS9 Tech Manual, ships in the 24th century are about 10 times more dense (weight per unit volume). My calculations show that with a weight of 200,000 tons, Enterprise is slightly less dense than water, which is similar to the density of surface ships.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody wanted to see the screencaps, so here they are in all their glory:

http://w1.314.telia.com/~u31412332/startrek/ships2.htm

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the 3rd screen is top of the Hermes, 4th screen is side and front of Hermes

Do you have screenshots of them?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The front and side shot were the only ones shown, I can�t seem to remember any other shots. These are the only ones I�ve got.

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AARRGGHH!!!

Searching for any info on the as of now close-to-canon Hermes, Saladin, Ptolemy, Cygnus and Federation classes is giving me a headache! Are there any Fandom-wizards around here? Technophyle perhaps?

Here's what I understand of it:

The Hermes class scout is introduced in 2224 (I personally would put that a little later, with the Constitution being the first class to use the familiar Constitution parts).

A batch of these Hermes ships is rebuilt to Cygnus class scouts in 2245, which supposedly looks like this:

The Saladin Class of destroyers is also built in 2245 (but they seem to have nothing to do with the Hermes production??). Supposedly these ships were "TMP'ed" in 2269.

The Federation class dreadnought was produced in small numbers from 2255. Supposedly upgraded TMP-style in 2275.

The Ptolemy is a tug/tranporter and was supposedly launched from 2224 (what is up with this date!?). Supposedly updated to something called the Moncrief class (a TMP version of the Ptolemy) as early as 2267.

But since Fandom and Co. are as always notoriously non-canon, I did all this work for nothing .

[ June 28, 2001: Message edited by: Harry ]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MIB:
Can you think about how cool those ships would look if they got the same type of refit that the Enterprise got?

There are/were a few games in which the E-nil-rifit look was applied to those classesm including the Federation class dreadnought. Nice.

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Harry. Where did you get that pic?? That ship is butt ugly.

You know. I once made a small simple kitbash of a TMPed Saladin. It looked very cool!

IP: Logged
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if anyone has twigged yet but we have seen a refit saladin/hermes.
Most likely somewhere in DS9 "A Time to Stand"

Not clicked yet? there is a diagram of it in the DS9 Tech manual.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of the diagrams seen in the Tech Manual were never seen on screen nor were models ever built for them. They were simply made up.

I think the last scratchbuilds we got in DS9 where the Curry Class and the Yeager Class kit bashes.

The effects people simply didn't have the time or money to build new stuff.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hm... Both the Saladin and Hermes top views were shown, after all. Look at Fitz's links back on the first page of this thread. That top view is the Saladin. You can tell from the length of the word "destroyer" at the top of the display. In pIn'a Sov's more recent link, the top view he lists as the Saladin is actually the Hermes, as evidenced by the shorter word "scout" at the top.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are still a few unidentified ships in the background of the season 6 opening shot.
some or at least one of them could be a Frankie-fleet ship. Infact I'm convinced that one of them is the Runabout style proto-voyager.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.