Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sydney-class Question

Author Topic: Sydney-class Question
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have some screenshots of the USS Nash and the other Sydney-class ships we've seen on DS9? (The infamous "upside-down" Sydneys, other that the Jenolen from TNG.)

Also, a question: What was the final verdict on the Nash's registry? Bernd's page says it was actually NCC-2010-5, while a lot of sites still say NCC-2010-B. Which actually turned out to be correct?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be darned: I thought it would be easy to find a link to a screencap of the only piece of footage that shows the DS9 ship - but I can't find any.

In any case, a picture in the Cinefantastique magazine did show clearly that the Nash had the registry NCC-2010-B. Luckily for those among us who want to have systematic registries and don't like those fancy suffix letters, it is impossible to see the registry or name of the Nash in the DS9 scenes. The ship flies at an angle where the upper (or in this case, lower!) bow is completely obscured. Not even a super-duper DVD reproduction of the scene would tell otherwise. (A super-duper DVD *might* reveal the upside-down nacelle tip registry, however... But I doubt the original film was fine-grained enough to record that tiny print!)

So we are free to interpret the identity of that ship whatever way we please. I'd think it was a different ship every time, part of a vast shipping organization that runs transports between hundreds of destinations, only one of which is DS9 (via Bajor).

Due to the Starfleet registry, though, it *could* be a single old worn-down military spares hauler that eternally see-saws between Earth and DS9, and bravely takes aboard some passengers now and then, even though there is that malfunction in the gyros that forces it to dock upside down, and that pain in the power coupling diodes on the port side...

Timo Saloniemi

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, well Timo, forgot my site, hmmm...

Here�s a model of Nash:
http://members.nbci.com/pinasov/fleet/nash.jpg

And here�s a screenshot:
http://w1.314.telia.com/~u31412329/ship/transport.jpg

If anybody has anymore, please post it

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yours was the first I went through! It's just that infernally byzantine indexing system you use that stumped me... Since there was no seaparate entry for "Sydney class", I hunted through "Federation Starships", "Big Pictures" and whatnot, but still managed to skip these two.

Oh, and I lied about there only being a single bit of footage of an inverted Sydney in DS9: "Chrysalis" has that other bit, of a departing ship, with a curious glow on the butt end similar to that of the original "executive shuttle" incarnation of the model.

Timo Saloniemi

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, it sucks doesn�t it?
(actually, it�s labelled Nash on my federation starships page, but the screencap is on the alien section, I�ll change it soon. I�m from Sweden, you know, we don�t know anything about star trek starships)

Here is the one from Chrysalis:

http://w1.314.telia.com/~u31412332/scifi/star2m.htm

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Crysalis episode - where that shot was taken - from the bigger picture - it shows the effects toatally rooted. Bashir is looking at the transport 'fly' away - but you can also see the central core out the window - when Bashir is looking OUT of a window on the promenade - in the central core. This was brought up before though in another thread.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanx.

Are you guys sure about the reg? Because Bernd's site says that the magazine pic revealed that it was NCC-2010-5.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Speaking of the 'executive shuttle' incarnation, what exactly is the official standpoint on that? Is it a full-fledged Sydney-class ship? I know that the Fact Files portray it as such. (Or do they? Do they list any names, regs, etc.?) The model as seen in The Continuing Mission has an NAR registry number, but in the actual dialog of TUC, they refer to it by another call sign. (SD-something-or-other) Then in Generations we see it at the end in the Veridian III rescue. There it seems portrayed as just a shuttle, since it is stated that only 3 starships have responded to the situation, and we see them (the Nebula-class USS Farragut NCC-60591, the Oberth-class USS Valiant NCC-20000, and a Miranda-class) fly away alone at the end.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They can't be the same. What are windows on the shuttle are impulse engines on the Sydney. And one or maybe two deck tall ones at that.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Okay, I talked to Bernd and he now says he's not quite sure of the Nash's reg.

So, anyone who has that magazine, or any other pic: (strain your poor little eyes really hard)

IS IT NCC-2010-B OR NCC-2010-5???

I await your answers.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, the Sydney is MUCH bigger than the shuttle. Look at the number of windows in the hull on the Sydney.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Well, I was looking at that pic of the Nash model on Adobe, and it looks like B. Go figure, everybody was right. I hope Bernd isn't too crushed...

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps