Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Another hoax or the first "ultrasound" of the new baby? (possible Ent $)

Author Topic: Another hoax or the first "ultrasound" of the new baby? (possible Ent $)
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://talk.trekweb.com/articles/2001/06/28/993756013.html

As the title says, is this latest evidence an elaborate hoas or indeed the the first "ultrasound" of the new baby?

The truth is out there....

Scully: "No way this is legit, Mulder... it's got 'Star Trek Enterprise' on it, which everyone know's isn't the show's real title."

Mulder: "Not so quick... it's certainly been hinted at that the final decision on the title didn't come until fairly recently. Who's to say the production staff weren't using 'Star Trek: Enterprise' as a working title in the beginning?"

Scully: "But the font isn't even right..."

Mulder: "So? Deep Space Nine and Voyager used the TNG font on all their internal documentation for some time before their final logos were drawn up. You need to read more 'Making of...' books, Scully.."

Scully: "You're not looking at the facts, Mulder..."

Mulder: "No, Scully, I am. We heard months ago that a view of the ship would appear on a blue patch that would appear on the uniforms... the logo on the back is a clear fit."

Scully: "But it's almost too reliant on just this rumour and the Akira one to be correct. Eaves is no dummy... why rip off Jaeger's work, essentially?"

Mulder: "Well, it could be quite different looking from the side. Or an early draft design that has since evolved further away from the Akira look."

Scully: "True enough. But that's doesn't alleviate any suspicion. Anybody could recreate such a piece of paper quite easily... the ship design information from the Eaves interview, the blue patch idea from the uniform rumour... put it together in illustrator, print it out on your Desktjet, stick it on the side of a trailer somewhere and smile."

Mulder: "Now you're on about the conspiracy theories."

Scully: "Paramount set security policies towards cameras are very strict. It's simply more reasonable to accept a fake than a real image."

Mulder: "But if this guy's from England, where's he going to find palm trees? The shadow of a palm tree is pretty clear."

Scully: "Annnnnd there are apparently reports that there are no palm trees on the Paramount lot proper."

Mulder pauses, exasperated.

Scully: "Need I point out to you that the effects work for shows like this is usually done in offices off the lot... across the city in most cases."

Mulder: "Scully, what do you know about film and television production, anyway?"

Scully: "Well, there've been cameras following us around for some time now. I've picked up a few things."

Mulder: "...like, perhaps, the different between Special Effects and VisualEffects? In the actual technical context of the show, Special effects are pyrotechnics and other live on-set things like that. And the departments are usually housed at the sets."

Scully: "Inside, you mean. Not in nearby trailers."

Mulder: "With the amount of gutting and renovating going on at the Trek sets these days, having them relocate outside seems only logical."

Scully: "Logical, yes. Realistic, no."

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ship on the logo looks lioke a Akira with Constituion nacelles. As for special effects being in a tralier theres a quote in the DS9 companion about 'wierd things happenig near that trailer', I think it was for the body in the Sound of Her Voice but I am not sure. One thing the shirt the guys wearing, is it one of the Niner shirts from Take me out to the Holosuite? Where they ever sold or merchandised? or were they based on real base ball uniforms?(I don't think so but ain't sure)

Of course the real Enterprise may look nothing like this even if it is real due to time lag (how old is the picture? The fact that there still a Voyager sign up suggests it isn't that recent) and evolving production capabilites.

[ June 28, 2001: Message edited by: Hunter ]

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is more plausible than any of the other supposed ship sightings recently. I'm willing to believe this. Although I think the design looks too modern for the supposed time frame of the series, that's a not a reason to disbelieve it.

As far as the shirts, you can buy them at the fan club store http://www.fanmedia.com/startrek/FamilyDetail.asp?ID=895 (Now on sale at only $44.95)

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt that the new/old Enterprise will be an Akira varient.
IP: Logged
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a lot of rumors and 'interview' clips say the ship will look like the akira class, but older. perhaps the akira class made 'today' was a remake of the original akira class SS Enterprise... hehe
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*blows whistle does the Aussie-rules football pointy-finger thing*

Or, as they'd say in the NFL, "It's goood..."

Long-time and almost-infallible tipster Robnhud has confirmed this sign does exist on the Paramount lot. I'd say we've got a ninety percent chance that this is indeed the uniform patch. Mulder wins this round.

As for the baby picture pool... I dunno if this really counts as the first baby picture, but, like I said, the ultrasound. It's essentially on outline, folks. I'm sticking by my prediction of no full-fledged photo of the ship until deep into the summer.

Now, lettuce begin... the starship side of discussions, that is.

TrekWeb posted the following, which is a pretty neat comparison:

The first point raised has been whether the ship has upswept or downswept nacelles... the shading of the ship would indeed imply upswept nacelles, with the light shining from upper port casting a shadow on the starboard side of the primary hull and the port nacelle. But AICN's rumor said downswept, which would make it more Akira-like that it is already...

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bigger!

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the Akira design...on the Akira-class. Each Enterprise has had an original distint look. Well except for the E-B which was established early on as an Excelsior.

But anyways, it seems as if they didn't bother to do a new innovatted design and merely tweaked an existing one. The only differences I can make out is the extra rectangular structure on the center of the saucer, a smaller rear pod, and the nacelle struts connect near the front of the nacelles instead of back. Also it looks as if the 'buzzard' collector has the original Enterprise look.

From all the stuff I've read on designing ships and stations for Star Trek the producers always want to have something new but identifible. With Voyager Berman & Co. wanted an advanced streamlined starship but easily recognized as Star Trek. The same as the Defiant, a departure in the established design that was different than any other Federation ship seen before, but still recognizable.

The Akira's a fan favorite so yes it would be quickly recognized as Star Trek, but it doesn't show much originality on their part.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps