Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Birthday greetings to the grand old master...

Author Topic: Birthday greetings to the grand old master...
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

While the new Enterprise will be complete computer-generated, it owes its existence to a physical model of another Enterprise, the Original Series starship designed by Walter 'Matt' Jefferies.

Jefferies will be celebrating his 80th birthday this August, and Doug Drexler is organising a special birthday celebration for Star Trek's first production designer.

"Walter 'Matt' Jefferies, the visionary designer of the original Star Trek, that guy who put standard divergent shapes together, saucer and nacelle, creating something that has remained supernaturally fresh for more than 35 years, celebrates his 80th birthday in August," Drexler told TrekToday, adding how important Jefferies was to him: "Aviator, artist, historian and wonderful gentle human being. My mind boggles when I weigh the influence that he has had on my life as a designer and as a person. I know that many out there feel a strong connection to Matt just as I do!"

In order to give fans a chance to wish Jefferies a happy birthday, Drexler asked fans to send birthday greetings to the following address:

Paramount Pictures
Walter M. Jefferies
c/o
Doug Drexler
Star Trek Art Department
5555 Melrose Avenue
Los Angeles CA 90038

Upon receiving the birthday wishes, Drexler said he will make sure that they get to Jefferies.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Completely computer-generated? Hmm, despite the huge progress that has been made in that field, a detailed model still looks better onscreen, IMHO.

Congrats to the old warhero, he's earned his place in TV-history.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I must say, the CGI ships of "Tears of the Prophets" looked very nice and felt real, especially those knocked out of their traveling course. I hope that Akira made it. You know, adrift...but salvageable.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And a salute to the old star!
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeez Louise.

Why can't we email a birthday greeting?

(in honor of the new cgi Enterprise...)

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*rolls eyes*

Only at Flare could you post a thread about the old grandmaster and have it turn into a discussion about one off-hand line that has pratically nothing to do with the intent of the post.

Anyway, Treknophyle's thinking what I was thinking. Who's up for a big forum greeting?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

USSdefiant
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, real, detailed models can be much better on-screen but with the newest technology, we can make computer graphics look very, very real...

http://www.chez.com/ryumaki/FF8dir/FFM02.htm

IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps