Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » U.S.S. Valkyrie (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: U.S.S. Valkyrie
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it the Valkyrie in "Redemption" (TNG) or was it the Hathaway? I know someone says it was the H. but their registries are similar. (NCC-2593 and NCC-2590)

Shouldn't we know if it's the Valkyrie, because if it is it will be upside down?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Valkyrie was not upside-down, it was just displayed that way at some Trek show.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh. Sorry. (I thought the model was labeled on the wrong side accidentally.)

But anyways, was the "Redemption" ship the Valkyrie or the Hathaway?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think it was labelled the wrong way. Or was that a different ship?
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, it had the Hathaway's registry.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the Valkyrie model is the same one as the Hathaway (& presumably the stargazer) You can still the faint lettering under the name Valkyrie.
Since there is no way you can make out what the registry was onscreen, we must assume that it was NCC-2590, If this was indeed the Valkyrie & not the Hathaway.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I looked over that shot of the fleet departing a while ago, and I saw a registry of NCC-259x. (Couldn't make out the last number.) So that would support the Valkyrie theory.

I'm not sure, but I believe that "Redemption" was the last time we saw a Constellation-class ship on screen. So it would stand to reason that they kept the labeling from the last time the model was used, when it went on tour.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Actually, I looked over that shot of the fleet departing a while ago, and I saw a registry of NCC-259x. (Couldn't make out the last number.) So that would support the Valkyrie theory."

Erm... Except that it also supports the Hathaway theory, so it doesn't really help...

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I can shed some light on this. MMOM suggested I do a screencap of this in the Qualor II thread.

It looks awful, but this isn't an aesthetic image, but an extreme closeup to search for detail, but this is the best, crispest quality I could get.

Looking at this enhanced, and inverted image of the Valkyrie in 'Redemption', it does look indeed like the last digit of the Regsitry apprears to be a three. Have a close look, then move back from the screen then you'll see what I mean.

I myself have the Valkyrie listed on my own site as NCC 2590. But it appears the registry here is NCC 2593, which makes this in fact a reuse of the Hathaway model.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Okay then. We still don't have an appearance for the Valkyrie. So, now, where could it possibly have appeared?

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Nuts! That seriously screws things up, then -- why would they reactivate the Hathaway? Even considering Wolf 359, I don't think Starfleet was that desperate for ships.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Damn.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you gotta remember the context of the episode - Picard wanted to assemble a fleet in a matter of days, or even hours. So it'd make sense that they'd get any warp-capable starship they had available, as long as it could be equipped for the tachyon detection grid.

The Hathaway could have been sitting in a yard somewhere closeby when the mission came up; they could have quickly slapped a replacement dilithium crystal assembly in there, pumped a lil' antimatter into the tanks, and had the jalopy ready to go. LaForge had already done a lot of hasty retrofitting work two years previous which could have been used.

Also, the Hathaway wouldn't have been the only ship that wasn't ship-shape; Hobson had the crew of the Sutherland scramling to get the ship marginally operational.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Yes, but that's not what's so aggravating. What is is that we now don't have an ep for the Valkyrie!!!!

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Monkey-boy: Well, I include it on my list of ships, anyway, just because. I noticed you have the Trinculo on yours. That was never on screen, either.

Y'know, it might make sense that the Hathaway was quickly pulled out of the scrap heap and thrown back into service. That would explain why it didn't actually make it into the detection grid. After all, it wasn't on the computer display, as shown in the Encyclopedia...

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps