Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Canon confirmations (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Canon confirmations
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looked at the canon site one of the sites which Okuda used to write the encyclopedia. It finally confirmed a few things

1. USS Yamaguchi finally recognized!
2. The Galaxy Class USS Trinculo NCC-71867 in Sacrafice of the angels.
3. Nebula Class USS Leeds NCC-70352 in Sacrafice of the Angels
4. USS Gander confirmed. It's not Ghanda or Ganda
5. The tug in A time to stand is identified as USS Curry NCC-45617. Nothing about "Shelly" mentioned
6. Ships I personnaly don't know about: USS Galice, USS Hispaniola in DS9 "Whispers"
7. Whorfin Class is Federation used NCC 1024

Any comments on these revelations?

------------------
"Execute"
Captain Styles
USS Excelsior (ST III)
Hey I'm sick of "Engage"

[This message was edited by Brown_supahero on April 20, 1999.]

[This message was edited by Brown_supahero on April 21, 1999.]

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, yeah, your link doesn't work....hehehhe.

------------------
Jeff Raven - Having more fun than any human being should be allowed to have

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
"Execute"
Captain Styles
USS Excelsior (ST III)
Hey I'm sick of "Engage"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Creighton and Bell do fine work, and their ship list is extremely useful, but I don't know if I'd describe it as canon, beyond the fact that it contains ships seen onscreen. They, like us, are just careful viewers with a good eye.

Anyway, I'm curious about the following things:

2.) The Trinculo is a Galaxy model taken by Okuda to a few conventions. Other than that, I have no idea where it appeared onscreen, if it did at all. It seems unlikely that the model was filmed for SofA, which was, as far as I knew, all CGI. Am I way off here? Was the Trinculo in fact in SofA, and my history of the model off?

3.) I've heard this one before too, though not with a registry number. Any confirmation?

5.) The name isn't new, but the registry is.

6.) Those are, as Frank recently informed me, from a computer display in the episode.

------------------
"I'm sick, like Nixon was sick, my defeated heart keeps beating on. I won't die, like Chucky won't die."
--
They Might Be Giants

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Sol System. I contacted D. J. Creighton some time ago, and asked him about his sources. He replied that he mainly watches the episodes very closely.

*Spock speak* Fascinating. *Tuvok speak* His recent additions are reminiscent. He seems to have the same source as I do (and maybe Frank does have) recently, that is an individual who provides us with lots of information, mostly reliable, from very close examination of episodes and other sources. Thanks, C.! Maybe if he was not contacted personally this time Joe Creighton even copied from our pages, while it's usually the other way round. Anyway, I would like to thank Joe Creighton too, for his good work over a long time.

------------------
Early bird catches the gagh. (The Doctor to B'Elanna at 06:00, "Drone")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The USS Strain, apparently, not the USS Strata in DS9 "Field of Fire?!" Like hell that screen said 'Strain!'
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, that list contains mostly correct info, but not all the time. Remember the Intrepid registry...

1. The Yamaguchi was in "Emissary" (DS9).
2. This might have been the ship we saw that had a registry.
3. This might be the ship at the end.
4. This weekend I will make a sound file making the case that Ezri just has a Boston accent.
5. It's NCC-4xxxx. The Shelley name is non-canon.
6. From a display.
7. The Whorfin doesn't have to be a class ship.

BTW, Lindsly originally submitted 5 and 6 to me, so maybe he sent the same info to Creighton.

Strain. Yeah, right. LOL. Next thing we know, they'll be naming ships after little towns in Montana... (Seriously, it was Strata)

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Quintesson: "You are the Autobot named Kup. You are Cybertron's chief of security."
Kup: "Nah, my name's Teaspoon, and I'm Cybertron's chief dishwasher."

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chakotay's ship--an Antares class. I don't think so. "Torres, go repair that baffle plate on the atomic energy pile or we will blow up."

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ack. Apparently Creighton believes the nonsense spouted in Mosaic, one of the Trek novels.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Quintesson: "You are the Autobot named Kup. You are Cybertron's chief of security."
Kup: "Nah, my name's Teaspoon, and I'm Cybertron's chief dishwasher."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The name "Shelley" was never anything close to canon. It's just something invented by a fan that everyone started using.

------------------
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."
-George Orwell's Animal Farm

Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen this list before and I used it to inspire myself to create my own ship list (I felt his was lacking but somewhat accurate from observations). My question is where did you hear that this was "cannon" and where did you hear that Okuda used it to write the Encyclopedia?

------------------
-=/\=-
Captain Stark
http://beam.to/readyroom

"The man on the top walks a lonely path. The chain of command is often a noose." Dr. Leonard McCoy --Obsession, Stardate: 3619.2

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cannon = big gun
Canon = official, authoritative material

As far as Okuda using DJC's ship lists... that's common knowledge, and check out the Ency-II acknowledgements to see his name in there. It's not that DJC's list is "canon," or even absoutely accurate. it's just that he does keep it up to date and keeps track of the latest ships, so Okuda doesn't have to do quite as much research.

------------------
-=Ryan McReynolds=-

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ryan, I looked for his name before I posted, and couldn't seem to find it anywhere in the acknowledgement section. Perhaps it's time for a trip to the eye doctor...

Though there is a special thanks to one "Ford Prefect", among others. Fascinating.

Aha, wait! I see it. Now that I think about it, I'm sure someone pointed that out to me long ago.

------------------
"I'm sick, like Nixon was sick, my defeated heart keeps beating on. I won't die, like Chucky won't die."
--
They Might Be Giants

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what is supposed to be more canon about "Mosaic" and "Pathways" than about other novels. Fortunately, he doesn't include the Shatner stuff.

------------------
I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer. (McCoy in "Devil in the Dark")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

The argument goes that since Jeri Taylor, former producer and creator of Voyager, wrote the books, they enjoy the same level of canon that, say, the tech. manuals do. Some things from those books (or at least from Mosaic) have shown up onscreen.

However, I don't agree with that. Both of the books contain some pretty odd errors that I don't want to take into account. (The Antares class Maquis raider, certain parts of Tuvok's backstory, etc.) Having said this, I still think I'd recommend Pathways, just because I thought it was a good book.

------------------
--
They Might Be Giants

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps