Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » My Starship List (Page 8)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: My Starship List
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the novelization was by Diane Carey? She wouldn't give a damn about the script when it comes to starships. She has ideas of her own about how things *ought* to be in Starfleet, and if a ship named after a big naval hero from the sailing ship era was missing, she would insert one.

I could buy the Republic from "The Valiant" being a Constitution, but I'm not at all fond of the Republic from "Court Martial" being one. It would mean that yet another chance to diversify TOS Starfleet would be lost. There was never any indication that the Farragut from "Obsession" was a Constitution, either. Or, say, the Yorktown - but at least she was contemporary to the NCC-1701, and a more likely candidate to share her class.

Timo Saloniemi

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where did you get this stuff about Diane Carey? Are you related or something? Or did you get this from her other books, say, "Dreadnought?" That's the one that has a Galaxy-class ship in operation during Kirk's time. Wrong, wrong.

--------------------
Meh

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Veers:
Or did you get this from her other books, say, "Dreadnought?" That's the one that has a Galaxy-class ship in operation during Kirk's time. Wrong, wrong.

Totally different Galaxy class. 'Dreadnought' was published in 1986 - Before TNG. The Galaxy class here are Starfleet's first ships designed to explore beyond the Milky Way. They're also mentioned in FASA's Star Trek IV sourcebook. I'm not sure which book came first.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diane Carey obviously paid careful attention to the fan material when writing her early books. Her timeline is clearly based on FASA dates, and so is her technology ("internally metered pulse" engines, cochrane factors etc). Carey has been interviewed many times - www.psiphi.org ought to have plenty of links to the interviews.

Carey underwent a great "conversion" in the novel "Challenger", part of the "New Earth" series. She had already acknowledged Okuda dates for the first book of that series, "Wagon Train to the Stars", but in "Challenger", she quite deliberately began quoting whole chapters from the TNG Tech Manual (the best use of that technobabble I've witnessed so far). It was a rather hilarious experience, actually.

This does not mean that Carey would now be a strict canon-follower - quite to the contrary. She once stated that she deliberately used non-established ship types (let alone names) in "Wagon Train" to emphasize her view that in a realistic (space) navy setup, there are a great many ship designations, far more of them than indicated in canon Trek. I have no reason to assume she would treat the "WYLB" novelization any different - nor the "Broken Bow" novelization she's doing just now.

Timo Saloniemi

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Veers: I believe it's supposed to be "Cough it up, fuzzball."

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Veers
You first
Member # 661

I believe your wrong, Mr. Christopher.

--------------------
Meh

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the line definitely was "Laugh it up, fuzzball"

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bad.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Chris Weyer
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a few questions on the updated list post two pages back. I skimmed over the list and found some interesting things I would like to be clarified.

1. USS Enterprise D - Was it not docked at Deep Space Nine in "Emissary"? If so I think you should add "Emissary" to your list as one of the appearances.

2. USS Enterprise E - When and how was it mentioned in "Life Lines" (VOY)?

3. USS Essex - In the past I remember an Ambassador Class USS Essex being mentioned somewhere. Was it canonical or not? It's just a vague memory I have.

4. USS Hiroshima - This is the first I have heard of this starship being omitted from the Encyclopedia. Do we have an explanation as to why it was omitted, and were any of the CGI models on-screen labelled Hiroshima?

5. USS Lantree - When was it mentioned in Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country?

6. USS Voyager (NCC-73602) - When was this ship mentioned in "A Time to Stand"? If it was given this registry, someone should be shot.

It would be great to get those things clarified.

IP: Logged
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Lantree was on a computer display in Star Trek VI.
Veers
You first
Member # 661

2. Troi mentioned that she would be going on a mission with the Enterprise. Actually, now that I think of it, it could have been "Pathfinder" or "Inside Man."

4. The Hiroshima was in the second encyclopedia, from 1997, at the back of the book in the ship chart. It was replaced by the USS Appalachia in the 1999 edition (also, the Nebula-class USS Phoenix shows up in the third encyc in that ship chart, replacing the USS Sutherland).

6. That name and registry are unofficial, and that class never showed up in an episode (to my knowledge). However, it would not be out of line if Starfleet renamed a ship Voyager if they thought the NCC-74656 had been destroyed.

[ August 31, 2001: Message edited by: Veers ]

--------------------
Meh

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 'Message in a Bottle', the Doc says that according to Starfleet Voyager was declared officially lost 14 months ago. This was in the fourth season of Voyager and had the stardate 51462. 'A Time to Stand' had no stardate but would have been in the 511** region. A matter of a few months before 'Message in a Bottle. So it's in the realms of possibility that if, after Voyager being declared officially lost, another ship bearing the name was commissioned...

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

Veers
You first
Member # 661

So...Starfleet was looking for the ship for three years? Very unlikely. Unless they suspected the Cardassians captured it or something, I don't think they would keep a search for a ship up that long. Look at the USS Hera from "Interface." Disappeared, case closed.
Maybe since Starfleet found no wreckage, they kept up the search. And what about the Equinox?

--------------------
Meh

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

When Voyager began two story ideas I had was the ship coming across those Ferengi trapped in the Delta Quadrant fom 'The Price', and finding the USS Hera in their travels. The latter never materialised. But, the fact Voyager was missing for 3-plus years doesn't necessary mean it was constantly being searched for in that period of time. How long was it that Starfleet searched for Voyager when it disappeared out of the slipstream in 'Timeless'? Was it about nine months or so..? I can't remember.

Anyway, I would have thought in cases such as these a standard investigation may take place for a year, involving a search pattern around the last known coordinates, and tracing outwards from that point for a certain amount of parsecs etc. If nothing is found perhaps, whilst not participating in any active searches it simply remains an open case for a further two years, until then being 'officially declared lost'.

--------------------

The ASDB

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is important to remember that Voyager didn't just vanish out in some random part of the galaxy. She disappeared without a trace in one of the hottest political hot spots of the day. Think of all the theories that Starfleet might have considered. The ship was captured by the Maquis. Or by the Cardassians. Or destroyed by one group in such a way as to leave no evidence, which is a neat trick. Or maybe these new mysterious "Dominion" types had something to do with it. All in all, enough food for thought to keep Starfleet interested in finding Voyager for a long time.
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps