Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Qualor II screencap analysis (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Qualor II screencap analysis
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Due to the request in the Denava Class thread, I've produced some screen caps of the ships in The Qualor II surplus Depot scenes from 'Unification'. I've tried my best to analyse the images, but they're open to everyone's interpretation. I know others may have images like these on their sites, but I have not investigated their analyses, as I didn't want it to appear as if I've simply copied it. Everything below is my opinion and impression, even if it mirrors there's. If that's so it proves only that we have like minds.

IMAGE ONE
(1) The first image shows a damaged Niagara Class I believe. This is due to it being virtually identical (from what I can tell), to Okuda's model of the Princeton, - of which there are existing model photos.

IMAGE TWO
(2) It's very difficult to make this one out. It could be two objects, one behind the other. If so their classes and general appearance are almost impossible to make out.

(3) This vessel is very interesting. I don't know what others thoughts/theories on it are. But it does to my perception appear to be a four-nacelled design. Obviously it's not a Constellation or a Prometheus, as other hull characteristics don't match at all. So this is a completely unknown class. My only working theory is that its Cheyenne Class, as it appears to be the only class that seems to at least correspond to the general profile here.

(4) The ship marked 4. is also a partial mystery. We have here a reasonable picture of it. One could speculatively assign the Apollo classification, as the Phase II Enterprise study model has been strongly associated with the Apollo class. This vessel here does resemble that model.

(5) ???? Type D7 Klingon Battlecruiser anyone? There's a number of significant similarities. If it is so, one can only guess at what it's doing in a Federation surplus depot.

IMAGE THREE
(6) This seems to be lone saucer section from one class or another. My guess is possibly Excelsior, or maybe Ambassador.

(7) Item 7. looks more like a active piece of hardware rather than a decommissioned starship. It resembles the Particle Fountain seen in 'Matter of Perspective', but it's actual role in the scene may be the depot command centre, or offices/living quarters etc.

(8) Completely unknown, and strikingly non-Federation looking. It has more Cardassian about it than Starfleet.

(9) This quite obviously is an old decommisioned first batch Miranda Class.

IMAGE FOUR
(10) My first guess was Excelisor Class. But looking closer at the secondary hull there does appear to be a similarity with the Galaxy/Nebula Class secondary hull configuration. But the image quality and distance of the vessel in the scene makes it difficult to be sure what it is.

(11) Both 11. and 12. are first batch Mirandas (as like the Reliant - with roll bar et al) The other object behind article 11. is an unknown configuration.

IMAGE FIVE
These two strange vehicles (on the outer sides)appear in the next image. The third, in the middle-top area is completely unknown.

IMAGE SIX AND SIX.2
(13) This is a facinating design of a totally unrecognisable class. It has certain elements that remind one of the Prometheus Class. It has though two traditional nacelles, and a stretched and flattened secondary hull, as like the saucer -if you can call it this. These design themes though are reasonably modern (ie Intrepid Class). But nothing suggests this HAS to be an antiquated classification, it could be a recent class, scrapped for whatever reason. Or it could indeed be an active ship in the Qualor system for its own reasons. The only thing I can liken it to is an early Excelsior variant that's known to exist.

(14) This appears to be a more alien design, but it's tough to make out much detail, or to match it with any other known ship.

(15) This has several recognisable Federation design features, including the familiar bridge module, and what appears to be a standard saucer. It seems to have lost the rear half of the ship, including the nacelles, unless they're out of shot. But it's not a class that I can identify. Using my imagination, I can see characteristics that remind me of Soyuz Class, as the front of the ship certainly seems to have a Miranda/Soyuz look to it.

[ July 06, 2001: Message edited by: The Red Admiral ]

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice 'caps, Red. These are the best I've seen of the junkyard. And sorry to hear about your tape erasures. Shit happens,you know.

Anyway, here's what I can tell you based on what I know already.

1. Yes, it's the Niagara. As a matter of fact, it's the same shot from BoBW.

2. That's the Challenger class Buran. All of the BoBW ships can be analyzed at www.ex-astris-scientia.org. I'm happy to say that I am one of the researchers of that page.

3. This is a four-nacelled Excelsior study model built by Bill George. You can see the model, again, at the above site.

4. This is the Phase II movie Enterprise model built by Ralph McQuarrie.

5. Klingon battlecruiser (duh)

6. You got me on this one. Doesn't look like anything I've ever seen.

7. Tyrus particle fountain sans base.

8. Upside-down Talarian freighter.

9. A Miranda.

10. Same ship as #3, rear view.

11. Looks like another version of the freighter from #8.

12. A Miranda.

13. Another Excelsior study model.

14. This is the soliton waverider, formerly the Mars defense perimiter robot ships from BobW.

15. Another mystery ship. From the angle, it almost looks like a star destroyer from Star Wars, with a Star Trek bridge module.

Looking forward to seeing your 'caps of "A Time to Stand".

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Qualor II is where they took all the wreckage from Wolf 359!!!

That explains the stock footage, and why there's a Klingon ship there. (Remember how there were Klingon ships fighting at Wolf 359 in "Unity" [VOY] and maybe were mentioned in "BoBW") So it went unclaimed by the Klingon government and just got hauled off along with the wrecks of the Princeton, Buran, Melbourne, et. al.

Pretty nifty, huh?

Here, Red Admiral, are some items which have already been identified:

IMAGE ONE:
1. That is indeed the Niagara-class U.S.S. Princeton.

IMAGE TWO:
2. Challenger-class U.S.S. Buran
3. That's a four nacelled Excelsior-class prototype. (Perhaps the imfamous U.S.S. Alka-Selsior! )
4. That's an old Constitution-class prototype. (From the unproduced 'Phase II' series.)
5. A D-7 or possibly K'tinga class Klingon battlecruiser.

IMAGE THREE:
6. That's the saucer section of another Excelsior prototype.
7. Scrapped particle fountain thingee.
8. Antares-class freighter.
9. Standard type I Miranda.

IMAGE FOUR:
10. Aft view of the four-nacelled Excelsior prototype.
11. Antares-class with Miranda in background.
12. Miranda.

IMAGE FIVE:
The one in the upper left hand corner is yet another Excelsior prototype.
The one in the middle I have no clue.
The one in the upper right hand corner is either an Apollo-class or Soliton Waverider/Mars Defense Craft.

IMAGE SIX:
13. Excelsior prototype
14. Apollo or Soliton Waverider/Mars Defense
15. Not sure, but you're right about it possibly being the aft view of a Soyuz. (Perhaps nacelles ripped off, or just out of view.

Hope it helps.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Red. Forgot to ask before.
Can you get screencaps of the Constellation in "Redemption" (TNG)? Specifically the closeup of the saucer. (As you can read in 'U.S.S. Valkyrie' thread, we're trying to figure out the registry of the "Redemption" ship.)

Thanx.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Dukhat and MMOM, the additional info is indeed useful and sheds a lot of light on some of these interesting ships. I had thought I'd got it right with most of them, it was the Challenger/Buran that stumped me. I of course know of this ship and model, but couldn't satisfactorily identify in that image. I was also fairly confident of the Excelsior variant/prototype study models connection too, but lacking direct comparison pics i couldn't be sure.

And I have discussed some of these ships with Bernd before, and still maintain and agree with him that the Phase II Enterprise can be probably regarded as Apollo class.

Didn't know about the Talarian ship, or the other alien configurations, it's hard to remember them all, as they invariably end up being re-used as other alien ships etc, which can be distracting.

I'll try and do the 'Time to Stand' caps over the weekend. I think I'm a bit too tired to embark on another project tonight, lol.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

MoMM, i've added the screencap to your Valkyrie thread.

--------------------

The ASDB

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Thanks for the Redemption 'cap.

Oh, by the way, i'm of the opinion that the Apollo-class is in fact the T'pau design as stated in the Encyclopedia. The 'Talarian' model is actually also used by the Federation and is designated as Antares-class.

--------------------

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

I've never subscribed to the Apollo-T'Pau theory. The T'Pau was a Vulcan ship, Vulcan design, Vulcan crew and Vulcan registry, so IMHO cannot have been commissioned as a traditional Starfleet ship. And if it were operated and maintained by only Vulcans, then they would not have designated the ship with a Human classification like Apollo.

If you look at other Apollo class ships:

USS Ajax NCC 11574
USS Gage NCC 11672
USS Agamemnon NCC 11638
USS Clement NCC 12527

..and then:

T'Pau NSP 17938

It doesn't even carry a traditional USS pefix. If this ship has the design that is displayed in the Encyclopedia, then I believe there's lots of evidence to suggest this cannot be a Starfleet ship, but a private Vulcan vessel, owned and operated by only Vulcans.

(And I know that there's a connection between 'Vulcan' and Apollo' -being both Roman Gods, but 'Vulcan' is not their indiginous name, only the name they are referred to by Humans)

--------------------

The ASDB

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Well, there's no doubt that the T'Pau herself was not a Starfleet vessel. But she was of Federation registry, and there's no reason why the design couldn't also be applied to Starfleet vessels.

Of course, the Vulcans wouln't name a ship class after an Earth god, but Apollo is just Starfleet's designation for the design, a bit like them calling a Romulan D'derix class a 'B-type' warbird.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

And, if the T'Pau was a private vessel, why would it be at a Starfleet surplus depot?

--------------------

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

What was a Talarian ship doing there, or for that matter a D7 battle cruiser?

The Apollo Class can't just be a Federation name for a Vulcan ship, it has to be a Federation Class starship, ie The Ajax, Gage, Agamemnon etc.

I think the most sensible explanation is that the T'Pau was a Starfleet ship, or an old ex-Starfleet ship that was renamed, and that the Vulcans went on to operate for their mission specific purposes. Just like The Constitution Class Intrepid that was operated entirely by Vulcans. These only Vulcans who worked alone, and not Starfleet Vulcans, as Spock was the only one at the time of course.

I think the actual design of Apollo has to be seen as moot, as it can't be verified until we see it on screen and have it identified in dialogue - if we ever do. Until that time, I like many will reserve the Enterprise Phase II study model as the class design, as Starfleet would not be using a Vulcan design for primary fleet ships.

--------------------

The ASDB

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

I told you. The so-called Talarian ship is actually a Federation Antares-class freighter and what's wrong with my explanation for the D-7?

Oh, well, there's just no reasoning with you anti-Apollo class T'Pau types...

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best theory I can think of is that the T'Pau is a Vulcan design (just look at it!), and, at some point, Starfleet decided to take the design and use it for a class of their own. The first one they launched was USS Apollo, so they called it the Apollo class. They also started referring to the Vulcan ships (like the T'Pau) by the same name.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

See?

THANK YOU TSN YOU ARE A GOD AMONG MEN!!!!

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That, isn't necessarily a Klingon ship... It could a be a Romulan ship - which I think is SUCH a cool idea...

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps