Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ship spellings

Author Topic: Ship spellings
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I already know the deal with the Jenolen/Jenolin/Jenolan, but what about these other ships with name spellings in question?

1. The Nebula-class Bellerophon. (The encyclopedia, in both the ship chart and the individual entry says BellerEphon.) I know that the god's name is actually with an o, but what about the spaceship in Forbidden Planet? Did it have an e or an o?

2. The Endeavour. (Shiplist says Endeavor, and that's the correct spelling of the word, I believe.) But then again, It's named for a British ship which might have the U. What about the space shuttle? It might be the U spelling too.

3. The Concorde. The shiplist says Concord. So the question is, is it named for the plane or rhe city?

4. The Firebrand. (The encyc says Firebrand, but I think someone else said it should be Firebrande.)

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Endeavour OV-105 has the "u" as it, too, is named after the ship. http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/resources/orbiters/endeavour.html

--------------------
http://www.calormen.com/Star_Trek/FAQs/

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Endeavour" is correct. "Firebrande"? With an "e"? That almost makes it French. (Like I should be talking. 3 years of le Classe de Francais, and it's sooo bad. [Don't even know if that was "le" or "la"!])

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget the Saber/Sabre debate....

I think its Sabre, but then again who knows...

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Endeavor" is the correct US English spelling. "Endeavour" is the correct British English spelling. The famous ship was the Endeavour, so that's most likely the spelling to be used.

I would guess the Concord is named for the city, considering there's also a Lexington, but not a DC-10... :-)

"Firebrand" is a word. As far as I know, "firebrande" isn't...

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the Merrimac/k. Should the 'k' be there or not? The original Encyclopedia has 'Merrimac' throughout, and so does old Making of Star Trek book and, I believe, the FJ Technical Manual. The newer Encyc uses 'Merrimack' exclusively.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Endeavor" is the, ahem, "correct" spelling? Risky, risky...

[ July 06, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as far as the Merrimac(k) goes, the correct spelling is "Virginia". But whether or not the 'k' should be there, I don't know.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The correct spelling of the name of the original 4600-ton USN frigate that was burned and turned into CNS Virginia was Merrimack. However, the name was misspelled, even occassionally in official USN usage, as Merrimac almost as soon as the ship was launched in the 1850s. There was another Navy ship in the Civil War named Merrimac, a 680-ton coastal gunboat. Merrimack was named after a river in Massachussetts, but there's also a town called Merrimac and a Merrimac valley, which is better known than the river.

[ July 07, 2001: Message edited by: Masao ]

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Masao, you seem to always have the useful info that I need. Thank you.

The ENDEAVOUR spelling is correct. This is the British spelling because it was named for a British ship. Actually, the very first ship commanded by Captain James Cook. The Space shuttle was also named for this ENDEAVOUR, and is spelled the same way.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Does anyone know about the Bellerephon/Bellerophon? I know the Diety's name is with an 'o' like I said. The Intrepid-class is correct with this. But supposedly the starship is named for the ship in 'Forbidden Planet' so does anyone have this film and can verify the spelling?

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I've only seen the movie once, but I didn't think the name of the ship was ever seen written out. But, obviously, it should be "Bellerophon".
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Add to that the fact that the Intrepid-class Bellerophon in DS9's "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" spells it correctly... I'd pull a retcon on the Nebula-class ship and say it, too, was spelled correctly.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps