Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 2002 Ships of the Line Calendar (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: 2002 Ships of the Line Calendar
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there may not be a kingdom of Burgundy anymore, but the French still refer to that region by that name. The fact that the terms Indiana and Montana get tossed around doesn't mean that they are still government units.

But I digress.

Anyway, Wesley went skiing with Josh Albert to Calgary, AB. Except there aren't any ski resorts in Calgary proper, but its something of a hub to get to nearby ones. Which of course means that they visited my hometown. Absolutely, positively true.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize all those places are still there, i was just wondering in what form they exist. They mention New York, but when they finally show it they could reveal the whole thing is underground now because of WWIII.

And dont forget, we saw Mojave in 'The Cage'.. it looked pretty spiffy

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuuuuuccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!! Red ADMIRAL! Sheesh - a little thought goes a LONG way... not all of us have seen the end of VOYAGER - and won't do for a while so please spare us MAJOR spoilers like that. Sheesh... I think I've nearly had the whole fucking show spoiled. All the cool things too!

You could have just mentioned the Voyager over LA in Future's End.

Don't forget Keiko's mother lives in Komomoto.

ALSO... Mojo - why would Federation Day necessarily be celebrated on the ground/in the sky... this is a SPACE age we're talking about - presumably Earth/Moon/Mars space is as heavily populated as a planet would be. Oh and as for pics - I'd go for an absolutely beautiful crisp incredibly detailed plain old space shot - before a badly detailed atmosphere shot any day. Oh, and you don't have to be in Atmosphere's to have cool shots. Look at the Opening of Voyager every episode.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

NeghVar
Member # 62

- posted      Profile for NeghVar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew...

Stop running about like a blue-assed fly. This community is tight knit enough that sometimes you forget people are halfway around the globe.

BTW: Mojo - the talk of "Unseen Frontiers" was one of the few bright points this past week.

Thanks!

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Settle down, Andrew! It'll come to your area someday. I assume you don't live in the US, because if you did, you'd have seen it many times, because they show it every week now...
I'm sick of it.

--------------------
Meh

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, pity poor Andrew, who doesn't live in the U.S. Obviously, it's his own fault for not trying hard enough.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"This community is tight knit enough that sometimes you forget people are halfway around the globe."

Yes. I often think that all the posters here are actually British.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really? I was under the impression that there was only two of us.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew, I apologise unreservedly...utterly, and wholeheartedly. It did not even occur to me that it was a potential spoiler, very very sorry everyone who saw this, and didn't want to. Apologies and thanks to TSN who has now placed a spoiler warning on my previous post.

But I could say that it doesn't have to be a spoiler, meaning that that Voyager flyby might and might not have happened... you'll know what I mean when you see the ep.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got to complain because I live approximately 33.5 light years from the Sol System.

I've been receiving your 'Star Trek' historical documents, but have only seen the firstseason and the second season up until "The Doomsday Machine," since the transmissions are only coming at me at the speed of light.

But all of you on the message board have given away the ending of 'The Trouble with Tribbles', 'The Enterprise Incident' and 'Turnabout Intruder'.. all shows i wont be able to watch until next year!!!!!]

I must insist you put spoiler warnings so that i dont find out things i dont want to about star trek..

And who is this Picard guy you always mention?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, OK - I might have gone a bit nuts... but At least Red Admiral was nice enough to apologise not just rub it in that I (and I'm sure not just me) haven't seen anything past (well Australia at least "Lineage" which I thought was a great episode)

Thankyou too Red Admiral - for reassuring me that what I see might/might not happen!?! It seems like Time Travelling and plot twisting is going to happen.

Also, it's just that I have consciously stayed away from threads ear-marked as containing Endgame spoilers. I once used to read happily episodes of DS9 and earlier Voyager well a head of time on the net. Since I stopped that little practice, I have been enjoying episodes SOOOO much more. A lot of you here and there bag a lot of the Voyager episodes, that I was so not thrilled on seeing - but when I did I REALLY REALLY enjoyed them.

LOL @ Mike - 33.5 light-years away eh? ;o) Well Australia is definately 1 light-year away if you watch/buy the videos (Voyager) and well... 3 light-years away if you watch DS9/Voyager on FTA TV.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Trouble With Tribbles" was season 2. You must have missed it. Nyah.

Rev: Vogon Poet's a Brit too. And there are a few other semi-regulars. I think Da-Bang is a Brit as well, but don't quote me.

Sol System's sarcastic enough to be British.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Mojo. I just received my 2002 SOTL calendar. I think that your concept of a future National Geographic is good, but the execution is a bit spotty: some pictures are good but some aren't. The main problem is that some pictures lack a clear focus and are sort of boring.

Here's my critique (Last 6 added):
January (Sunrise from nacelle support of USS Galaxy): I like this one but wonder where the photographer was standing. He must have been floating in space. Maybe the wide surface of the nacelle support filling the bottom half of the picture is a bit dull.

February (Defiant above ring of planet): Although Defiant is supposed to be in a swarm of micrometeors, it looks more like simple image degradation. Composition with commonly seen view of Defiant from front quarter is a bit dull.

March (Enterprise in V'ger cloud). I like this one a lot.

April (work bees at UP): I can see why some people might not like this one, but I like it. Sort of looks like a National Geographic picture, although the identical weathering on the work bees is kind of unrealistic. Varying the positions slightly to break up the pattern or placing some human figures among the bees (for interest and for scale) might have helped.

May (EntD under construction): An interesting picture, but it lacks focus. Without the caption, we have no idea what it shows other than a mass of girders. We see a few lighted panels, but they're meaningless. This picture tells no story. It looks more like the background for a render.

June (Time lapse picture outside spacedock): National Geographic puff-pieces about big US cities always have at least one picture like this. However, when they do it, the focus is on the lit-up buildings of the city, not on the streaking tail lights. Here you have a blurry ship (Galaxy class), a mostly unlit spacedock, and a bunch of light in all directions. Shouldn't the lights of space dock be brighter? Also, why wouldn't the ship be visible during its entire course and not only blurred at the end? Did a light suddenly come on in the last few seconds? Again, no real focus.

July (Delta Flyer in Borg Unicomplex): The Delta Flyer is probably too small and easy to miss among the Borg structures.

August (TOS Romulan Bird of prey firing): I love TOS, and especially this episode, so I like this simple picture. Great historical value.

September (IKS Kahless buring up as it flys towards setting sun): The burning ship and the foreground rock (it is a rock, isn't it?) on the left look too pasted in, like bad matting. That sun looks too white and bright. It doesn't have the colors of a setting sun. This pic looks too staged and unnatural.

October (lights on inboard surface of refit E nacelle support): A quiet, atmospheric pic, I think I like it.

November (Enterprise on viewscreen of abandoned USS Exeter): Are going to have a pic from "Spock's Brain" next year? You shouldn't have reminded us of this episode, maybe the worst of TOS! I'm not too excited about this pic.

December (Yoyager flying low over some mountains): I think this would have been better if Voyager were in focus and the scenery were blurred. Most photos of race cars and planes in flight are like that. Having big ships down in the air strikes me as kind of a bad idea. Please don't over do it!

Centerfold (B/W shot of Galaxy-class challenger and EntE in orbit): I like this. Nice depth of field and lighting.

[ September 17, 2001: Message edited by: Masao ]

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*wonders how CaptainMike posts on this board from 33 light years away*

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's very complicated, involving gravitational lensing, negative index of refraction materials, and so forth.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps