Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 2002 Ships of the Line Calendar (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: 2002 Ships of the Line Calendar
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna work on some ideas for the 2003 calander, and send them to Mojo. hehehe

Akira-Class on the cover? i think so.

Wes
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo, take a look at one of my old images: http://techfx.org/imagery/trek/escape.jpg

think you could recreate something like that?

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wes1701E:
Mojo, take a look at one of my old images: http://techfx.org/imagery/trek/escape.jpg

think you could recreate something like that?

Cool image. But, goldarnit, I'm sick to death of that flat plane disclike shockwaves. I curse ST6 for starting it all!

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice picture... but an Akira doing a "Tears of the Prophets-like Jemmie ship through Klingon cruiser" attack!?! Hmm!

Lessen the candy-like green on the 'buzzard' collectors of the Rommie.

And as for the disk explosion... it worked for Praxis... well cause I guess there was something going on with the moon and their energy production... but to use it again for the Star Wars SE!?!

Andrew

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice shots can definately be had in space (whomever brought up the Voyager credits is right on the money). However, I liked the idea of doing the 'scenery' motif and it opened the possibilities for images we haven't seen much of before. Plus, I think it's cool, and I'm the author! Look for A LOT of space stuff in the book.

Assuming it sells well enough, I plan on making each year for SOTL calendars a different theme. 2002 was the 'artsy fartsy' one, 2003 will be the 'scenery' one and 2004 may very well be the 'space battle' one (it was between that and the scenery for 2003). We'll just have to see!

As for the continued criticism of 2002, what can I say? For every person who dislikes a particular image, there is someone who loves it.

To address specific comments, the pictures were not intended to tell a story - they were just meant to be pretty pictures which used starships as art. To be honest, I had no concern whatsoever if the ship was clearly visible or if you could even tell what it was - I just wanted to get a mood across in each image.

One thing I do want to clear up is the Defiant image - the high level of grain in the picture is NOT meant to be simulating micro-meteorites! Just about everyone sees it that way, however, and it's unfortunate that the high grain in the image is confused with the meteorites. It never dawned on me that people would make that assumption.

In any case, I think we all agree it's not really that great a picture anyway, so it's not worth nitpicking :-)

As far as the upcoming Liberty pic celebrating Federation Day, I was just hypothosizing off the cuff. For all I know, they still celebrate the 4th of July or are commemorating the rebuilding of the statue! To be completely honest with all of you, as long as I'm not directly contradicting something previously established, I'm quite willing to make up just about anything to justify a cool picture.

MOJO

PS: Wes - nice image! From what I can see, your model work is quite good. Keep at it!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo! Just wondering, what about possbilities of extreme close-ups of starships!?! i.e. repair on the hull or some people in suits standing on the 'flight deck' of Voyager near that little door watching the Delta Flyer arrive 'home' and in the background is a large gas planet with a turquoise coloured plasma-gas ring!?! Just hypothesising... or there is that picture I'd like to see...

Looking in one window from another part of the ship... I.e. looking across those 'catamaran' hulls on the Akira - or looking up from the secondary hull to the primary hull windows on the E-D!?!

Again, can we see maybe a new ship (i.e. an existing ship but one that is new to the calendars)!?! Like the Cheyenne - you can bug Mike Okuda for what the 'underneath' of the Cheyenne looks like!?!

Or how about Scenes that we HEARD about - but never saw - like the Earth outposts being destroyed by the Romulan ship in 'Balance of Terror' or Ships searching for Voyager after she was lost in the Badlands!?! Or the Breen attack on Earth during the final 10 episodes of DS9... Oh - and when doing multiple ships - maybe giving each one (not fed ships cause they do have their registries) their own 'personality' i.e. having different lights on - different hull defects/weapon scars!?! I'm not sure which - I think it is the 3 Romulan warbirds in the 2001 calendar - each Romulan Warbird has EXACTLY the same lights on, and their 'bussard' collectors have exactly the same sort of 'shiney inner thingy' - the human mind picks up on repeated patterns quite readily.

Just a few things.

(wish my 'puter was new enough to hold a nice graphics program - vintage 1996 )

Andrew

P.S. Maybe some ways to justify - landscape shots like a new shot of Vulcan hint, hint! Things that can land on the surface - the Intrepid Class... a galaxy saucer section... maybe the Defiant class, runabouts, shuttles, attack fighters!?! Rom-abouts!?!

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
'personality' i.e. having different lights on - different hull defects/weapon scars!?!

I was even thinknig of this in reference to Federation ships. I was thinking about doing a scene from 'The Ultimate Computer' (the most disappointing multi starship battle in history).
If this was filmed for a 'Special Edition' of TOS or if the scene was done for the calendar, it would be awesome to see little design differences between the four constitution class ships present. Maybe one still has nacelle spikes and the tall bridge and no nacelle-globes.
Maybe one has an extra langing pad behind the bridge, or arboretum widows, a rudiemntary version of the dorsal torpedo launcher from TMP entrerprise. Maybe a basic impuls deflection crystal or some different nacelle struts. That would make finally seeing the lexington, potemkin and excalibur and (the other one?) pretty exciting, and also show some of the revolution towards the TMP enterprise was in the design works
(kind of like the connie-bonhomme richard-achernar-tikopai-enterprise evolution from SotSF)

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes! That is a damn fine idea....

I wanna see more of the older ships. Most of my meshes are the TOS designs, such as Miranda, Soyuz, Connstellation, Excelsior and so forth. These ships have a slightly more refined character than the 'some' of the later 24th century ships, (Galaxy, Nebula, Sov, Akira are exceptions)...

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Most of my meshes are the TOS designs, such as Miranda, Soyuz, Connstellation, Excelsior and so forth.

None of which, to be pedantic about it, were in the original series.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Mojo may be putting some of that "Unseen" stuff in his upcoming book, "Unseen Fronteirs." At least, that's what I've heard.

As for the Miranda, Soyuz, and Excelsior, I Think he meant "TOS era." In any case, Soyuz class photos would be lovely. From different angles...
I'm praying "Starship Spotter" will be very much like our fantasies.

--------------------
Meh

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I wonder if Okuda is going to maybe add some info to the spotter or the unseen frontier etc. Like nice full detailed, multi angled pictures of the McQuarrie ships/St3 ships basically everything we've been debating in the Wolf 359 ultra-long thread. Cheyenne, Niagra, New Orleans etc. etc.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright I know that these ship classes are not from the TOS series per se, but they are of the TOS to TMP eras... That's what I ment to say.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

Wes
Member # 212

Red Admiral, I didnt know you made meshes. post those bitches..
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Is there no probs posting that kind of stuff here...? I only frequently see 2D stuff in 'Designs and creativity', although I haven't visited it recently. But if so, yeh I suppose I could..

--------------------

The ASDB

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps