Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Venture (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Venture
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the term 'Venture-class' canon. I know it's from Armada (non-canon) but someone told me that the name was official from Paramount.

So, did the name originated with Paramount, making it official/canon, or was it just made up by the game makers and not?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Official" or "Paramount-sanctioned" has as much to do with Canon as "The Good Little's Christian's Storybook Vol 3: The Continuing Adventures of the Prophet Daniel" has to do with the Bible.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I MEAN is:

Is Venture-class the official designation for the Insurrection scoutship?

Does it come from the script of Insurrection or another official source?

Can we use it as canon Trek?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, probably not.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Is Venture-class the official designation for the Insurrection scoutship?

"Does it come from the script of Insurrection or another official source?

"Can we use it as canon Trek?"

The last question is obvious. It wasn't on screen, so, no, it isn't canon. As for the other two... I don't think it came from the script. You can call it "official" if you like, since Paramount approved the game, but I really don't think they even care about those details. If you asked the people in charge of approving the game "What class was Data's scout in ST9?", they'd probably say "Huh?".

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was Okuda that gave us that class. The Talon. Sorry, if I'm mistaken.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

me@webj.cjb.net
http://webj.cjb.net

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

If Okuda gave it then it can be used. If it's backstage info then it can be used. If it originated with the producers of the game, it cannot.

Just a note: (I't doesn't really have any effect on this)

Canon also includes the Encyclopedias, Official Technical Manuals (TNG and DS9), and official statements made by Paramount employees.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

And, I forgot: The Fact Files.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be a little hard to justify Venture-class if the Galaxy-class USS Venture is still alive & kicking.
but you could also say the same about the challenger...
Talon sounds good to me. for all we know this could have been the USS Talon too..

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Forgot another thing: The Chronologies

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, any connection to Okuda seems unlikely considering that he didn't give it a class name in the most recent encyclopedia.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well lets be honest, that latest update was a bit of a rush job.

--------------------

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been generally agreed here that stuff like the encyclopedia or tech manuals are semi-canon. Meaning considered canon unless contridicted on screen. For example, the encyclopedia 3 mentions a USS Ticonderoga from ST9 which I've included on my site even though we did not see or hear of it in the movie, possibly on the cutting room floor.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

That ship was mentioned briefly in the novel at the end of the film by worf just before riker & troi meet up again.
presumably the book was based on the original script.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Rev: I know! I mean, he didn't even put the Nova in there!

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.