Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » U.S.S. Olympia: Constitution-class? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: U.S.S. Olympia: Constitution-class?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSn:

1. We know that the model was the Constitution! I don't make up stuff for onscreen. That was the refit Constitution model that was on the screen. Because we know that, we know it was a Connie.

2. I am using the official, canon (for now) designations for the Curry and the Voyager, which are "Excelsior/Constitution-Class Starship Variant" and "Intrepid/Constitution-Class Starship Variant" respectively. And Okuda confirmed that all models from the DS9 Technical Manual were used in the show, albeit somewhere waaaay in the background where we can't see them clearly.

P.S.
Sorry to be so confrontational, TSN.
What can I say? I'm a Trekkie.
No hard feelings.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The debris field on the planet in the "Sound of her Voice" is composed of parts of the first Enterprise (refit) that were seen in ST III and "The Best of Both Worlds" and other starship parts. I think the visual meaning is to convey the horrifying reality of the last moments of the U.S.S. Olympia as she was destroyed.

One of the puzzling aspects of the show is that we don't see the crew of the U.S.S. Defiant talking about the U.S.S. Olympia's background. Of course, if they did this, the story would be over before it began for the crew would realized that that the other ship disappeared three years before and that the possibility of survivors is zilch.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monkey: We also know that the New Orleans, Freedom, Challenger, and so on were made out of Galaxy model parts, and other stuff. But those Galaxy model parts don't represent pieces of Galaxy-class ships. They represent pieces of other ships. Just like the Constitution model parts don't need to represent pieces of Constitution-class ships, but pieces of other ships which happen to have Constitution-like bits on them.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may sound strange but I could swear that there is a piece of Oberth (maybe Vico) wreakage in there.
Its at the bottom centre of this scene

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't see anything Oberth in there, it's too hard to make out any clear details in that picture.

On the whole, I have to agree with TSN, we have no concrete proof either way what class any of these were.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about now?

null

I think it might be the front part of an oberth's starboard nacelle.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since this thread's been all over the place, I'm going to address stuff in no particular order...

The wreckage in "BoBW" included a 'distressed' Constitution-refit secondary hull and nacelles in one shot and the self-destructed Enterprise saucer from TSfS in a shot shortly after. It has been generally assumed that this was a decommissioned Constitution-refit pressed into service to defend Earth from the Borg.

The Republic was never even hinted to be Constitution-class in the one episode in which it was mentioned in TOS. Despite the overwhelming opinion of fandom and Okuda, I disbelieve in it being Constitution-class.

Which brings me to the whole training ship debate. The U.S. Coast Guard maintains the sailing ship Eagle to train cadets and enlisted personnel. The ship is not intended to give them hands-on experience with cutting-edge technology or the like -- that's what the classrooms are for. The Eagle is solely about teaching teamwork. responsibility, and leadership.

What did I forget...?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes... The Defiant write-up in the DS9 TM mentioned a courier version with four nacelles to allow for longer runs at high speed because the nacelle pairs could switch off between the upper and lower pairs -- but with a single core powering the whole tamale.

Now, what else did I forget...?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Oh yeah...

I always took Picard's line in "Relics" to indicate the original-config Constitution as well. In fact, some sources go so far as to make it the old U.S.S. Potemkin. I approve.

And as for the Stargazer, Rick Sternbach did full-on blueprints based off the desk model he built for Picard's ready room, which Greg Jein then built. Notice the episode before "The Battle", that model was replaced with a plain ol' Constitution-refit.

Now, have I forgotten anything else?

--Jonah

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps