Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Soyuz class (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Soyuz class
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In ST7 and ST8 Bozeman could be the Soyuz Class because:

1. Easy to upgrade; Miranda's still in wide use therefore easy to get parts for it.

2. Starfleet in had a lack of attack frigates, on that date. Even if it was mothballed, it would have be recalled during Klingon incident (DS9)

------------------
"Execute"
Captain Styles
USS Excelsior (ST III)
Hey I'm sick of "Engage"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ship from First Contact was just a normal Miranda, and not a Soyuz. Though it is possible that the Bozeman was refit as a Miranda, that's not enough to say that the Miranda we saw was the Bozeman.

------------------
"I'm sick, like Nixon was sick, my defeated heart keeps beating on. I won't die, like Chucky won't die."
--
They Might Be Giants

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget, the DS9TM suggests that Soyuz class components were applied to DS9. It seems obvious that much of the sensor systems were probably removed and applied to DS9's systems, as a result, the Bozeman probably resembles present day Mirandas more than it does past Soyuz ships.
Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FASA couldn't use the term AVENGER because they didn't have the permission of the people who ahd invented that term. Likewise they couldn't use any of the ships from the classic Starfleet Technical Manual. Copyright is a powerful force.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we shouldn't rule out the possibility the Bozeman NCC-1941 might have returned to the 23rd century, by free will or following some temporal directive.

Another reason that the First Contact ship is not necessarily the NCC-1941 is that, following its tradition, Starfleet has probably named a new ship in honor of the "lost" Bozeman. The question is which of the ships kept the name "Bozeman".

------------------
I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer. (McCoy in "Devil in the Dark")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they came back at a "lucky" time and no Bozemans were around. At least we know she was stripped of some equipment and due to the numerous examples of Miranda class starships still around, I'd bet the Bozeman was refurbished to Miranda standards.
Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because there are different types of Miranda-class ships, I go by the following:

Miranda: Everyday Miranda without rollbar.
Reliant: Everyday Miranda with rollbar.
Avenger: Modified Reliant with a more curved hull.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shipbuilder: Good point. Since the DS9TM says they used Soyuz parts, maybe they did strip down the Bozeman. Maybe they used practically the whole thing, so there isn't much left of the ship, so it is out of service anyway.

Whatever parts they used most likely did come from the Bozeman, since there probably isn't much left of the ships that were retired 90 years earlier...

------------------
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."
-George Orwell's Animal Farm

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the DS9 tech. manual was talking about the Bozeman. For one thing, parts weren't taken from one Soyuz, they were taken from many. But I suppose we could just ask Sternbach...

------------------
"I'm sick, like Nixon was sick, my defeated heart keeps beating on. I won't die, like Chucky won't die."
--
They Might Be Giants

Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not certain of all of the locations of this picture, but in the first edition Star Trek Chronology there is a picture of the USS Bozeman with the registry NCC-1941. The model builder, Greg Jein (IIRC) gave it that registry number as a tip of the hat to his model work he did for the movie 1941.

------------------
-=/\=-
Captain Stark
http://beam.to/readyroom

"The man on the top walks a lonely path. The chain of command is often a noose." Dr. Leonard McCoy --Obsession, Stardate: 3619.2

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread is coming to appear like a POW on the Bataan Death March who had the misfortune of falling and being squashed by many large moving vehicles-an indistinguishable, gloppy mass of something.
IP: Logged
Shipbuilder
Member # 69

Somebody will have to check this out (DS9TM not available at the moment) but I'm pretty sure it says the parts were from a Soyuz class ship that still had some "mileage" left in it (paraphrased of course).....that could only mean the Bozeman, since all others were long gone. It sounded like they just removed some large antenna systems, possibly the rods mounted on the Soyuzs' back top and bottom. I still go with her being stripped down and refurbished to Miranda specs.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I wish this one had an index...

Regarding phasers:

"The standard units were aft-firing phaser strips obtained from Soyuz-class starships nearing the end of their operational lifetimes."

Actually, reading this...I think we might have to discount all references to the Soyuz class as a mistake. Read this:

"The Starfleet subspace transceivers are all taken from Soyuz-class starships nearing the end of the vessels' primary operational lifetimes."

Here's the part I speak of:

"Since the most recent swapout of subspace equipment from the Soyuz class was performed only eight years earlier, the predicted nonwarp MTBF..." etc...

Now...this might work, if we were to say that a good number of Soyuz class vessels remained in service despite the class itself being withdrawn from service, but...it seems a bit dodgy.

Aside from that, no mention of any single Soyuz like the Bozeman.

------------------
--
They Might Be Giants

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

Eight years prior would put it in '91 or '92 year right, so that is the exact time that Cause and Effect aired (Season 5 91-92). I'm positive this is a reference to the only Soyuz class ship that would have even been possible of donating any functional (effective) hardware....the USS Bozeman. Even if some old Soyuz class ships were stored at decomission, I doubt they would have anything useful after 90 years of storage conditions. As for a mistake by TPTB, I doubt it, they seemed pretty adamant about this repeating the account of Soyuz class parts several times....not that that makes it any truer, just more probable.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

The only way it could be the Bozeman is if that time warp created multiple Bozemans...

Assuming the tech. manual was written during the sixth season of DS9, eight years before that would be the third season of TNG. "Cause and Effect" was in the sixth season of TNG. The Bozeman wasn't around to be refit.

------------------
--
They Might Be Giants

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps