Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Class Ships in TUC

Author Topic: Class Ships in TUC
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here’s my bit on class ships in STVI: TUC. Hope I don’t aggravate anyone too much. (Especially you, TSN. I’ve thought it over and decided I don’t want to go messing with the moderator anymore. )

In TUC, on various charts and displays, including the Operation: Retrieve plans and a mission assignment readout on the Enterprise bridge, there are several starships represented. Here is a basic list:

U.S.S. Ahwahnee NCC-2048
U.S.S. Challenger NCC-2032
U.S.S. Constellation NX-1974
U.S.S. Eagle NCC-956
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-1895
U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-A
U.S.S. Excelsior NCC-2000
U.S.S. Helin NCC-1692
U.S.S. John Muir NCC-1732
U.S.S. Kongo NCC-1710
U.S.S. Korolev NCC-2014
U.S.S. Oberth NCC-602
U.S.S. Scovil NCC-1598
U.S.S. Springfield NCC-1963
U.S.S. Whorfin NCC-1024

Now, here’s the info that we already know definitely:
1. The Constellation is the class ship of the Constellation-class.
2. The Eagle, the Endeavour, the Enterprise, and the Kongo are Constitution-class.
3. The Excelsior is the class ship of the Excelsior-class.
4. The Oberth is the class ship of the Oberth-class.

The following are completely unknown to us:
1. The Ahwahnee
2. The Helin
3. The John Muir
4. The Scovil

Now, take a look at the remaining ships:
1. Challenger
2. Korolev
3. Springfield
4. Whorfin

Notice anything? They’re all the names of ship classes seen or mentioned in The Next Generation. (With the exception of the Whorfin-class, which was seen in Generations.) Is this a coincidence? I personally don’t think so. I think that these ships from TUC are in fact the class ships of the Challenger, Korolev, Springfield, and Whorfin-classes, respectively.

My evidence:
1. The numerous other hintings and references in TUC to TNG. (Such as the character of Colonel Worf, the use of Khitomer as a location, Scotty’s comment about “buying a boat,” [a possible reference to the Jenolen] and numerous others.)

2. (Goes along with 1.) The featuring of class ships of other classes seen in TNG and elsewhere, including the Oberth and Constellation.

3. Just the fact that it’s a bit of a stretch to think that all four vessels just happened to have names of future classes.

In my opinion, it’s fairly clear that the producers of the film were very keen on loading it with connections to the later time period, (after all, the movie was supposed to be a passing-of-the-torch thing) and that these ships are probably intended to be the class ships for the ship classes of the same name.

P.S.
Yes, I know I wasn't the first to think of this.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the Korolev, Challenger, and Springfield...NO!

The regos for these ships are too low for what had been established for the designs these classes have...being contemporaries of the Galaxy class and designed using Galaxy-type parts.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not even just the registries, but the very fact that they exist at the time of ST6. I really don't think there were ships of the Galaxy family in existence then...
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as designs, how do we know that they weren't just the first in the so-called family.

As far as regs:

Miranda-class
18xx to 38xxx

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of "Operatiom Retrieve", does anyone have good images of the plans shown for it in TUC? The one disadvantge to the letterbox version of the films is small details like those charts become unreadable.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Challenger
2. Korolev
3. Springfield
4. Whorfin

My guess is that Starfleet simply decided to name future classes Challenger, Korolev, ect. ect. and that there really is no story behind this whole thing.

For example, lets assume that in the 25th century, starfleet comes out with the new Reliant class ships. That doesn't mean that the U.S.S. Reliant NCC-1894 is the class ship. Nor does it mean that the Reliant has anything to do with the Reliant class ships. I think it's the same case with the U.S.S. Challenger and the others.

IP: Logged
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thing Monkey-Boy said that slipped by y'all... Scotty didn't own the Jenolan. As he said in "Relics", it was transporting him to the colony on Norpin V for his retirement. He was a passenger.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, to the main point of this thread...

The Challenger and Springfield classes both use scaled-down Galaxy saucers as a starting point. The elliptical saucer didn't debut until well after the turn of the century. Furthermore, the Challenger uses Galaxy-style warp engine nacelles. These classes date no earlier than 2320, and probably much later than that.

The Korolev may or may not be the class ship of the Goddard. If this is as long-lived a class as the Oberth or the Miranda, they could still be making 'em in the 2330s. The Goddard was acting as a transport, so it's likely they're not as susceptible to obsolescence as front-line starships.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Oh, you guys are no fun at all...

(If you're wondering why I'm so good-natured about the whole thing, it's because I just worked off a lot of aggravation with a long post in the Enterprise forum. )

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps