Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » ENTERPRISE, or "I Bought the TV Guide" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: ENTERPRISE, or "I Bought the TV Guide"
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate it. Quite simply it disgusts me, an absolute f**king outrage!!!!!!

It maybe an absolute beauty of a ship, but it does not fit in with what one would 'perceive' a 22nd century, pre-Federation starship to look like. I had really hoped this Akira connection was to be an exaggeration. But now I see it is basically the Akira shape with bunch of stuff added to give it the impression of having some pre-TOS themes.

The only solution die-hards like me may come up with is that 200 years later they commissioned the Akira Class as a kind of homage to this first Enterprise Class. That I could accept.

For this to be accepted though, I want to see other class ships from this time period that exhibit a more familar design lineage, such as the Daedalus and pseudo-Constitutions etc.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Siegfried: That font looks pretty close to the TOS font, which is basically a very square US military font. Of course if we slapped the TNG font and pennants on this sucker, along with some updated nacelles, we'd assume it was a 24th century scaled-down destroyer version of Akira. (Any photoshop wizards want to have a go at that?) Also, what's the deal with that heavy aztecking? Someone needs to go over that ship with a beltsander. That platform supporting the bridge looks like it came off a Galaxy, and the bridge itself looks like Ent-A, as does the possible impulse deflection crystal.

All in all, I must admit it's a cool-looking ship, but would be better for post-Dominion War show rather than a pre-TOS prequel.

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Akyazi! Yes! Exactly! That was a classy design that IMHO differs substantially from the Akira but kept enough of the lines for resemblence (I know the Akyazi came first, but I'm just comparing using time as a frame of reference). A la Constitution vs Ambassador.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the heavy aztecking could be the result that this is an artist's conception of the model. I have one of the Enterprise-D and it's heavily aztecked as well. I'd bet the filming miniature is a bit smoother. If not, well, I don't think it's that big of a problem. All the ships in TOS had smooth surfaces: the Enterprise, the Klingon D7 ships, and the Bird of Prey. I think it was just a limitation on the filming techniques of the day for television that mandated the smoothness. Heck, the Jupiter from Lost in Space was smooth as well.

I still stand by my opinion that this is a good design that fits into the scheme of Trek history without the need for ignoring The Original Series. This design so much more than just simply slapping TOS era nacelles on the Akira class starship. This picture has a rustic and semi-primitive appearance to it. I like it.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Bernd, when you said you'd bomb Paramount studios if this ship looked like the Akira, you weren't joking around, right......? :-)

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheF0rce:
But, whatever i'm going into the new series having already cleared my mind of everything from TOS---just pretend TOS never happened and you be fine integrating this new show.

Um... I hope you meant that as a joke?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally psoted by TheF0rce:
All the details on this ship makes the original TOS enterprise looks like a cheap model{which is what it was]

Strange, I find that the details make this ship look more primitive and less refined than the smoothness of TOS-era perfection.

quote:

They probably would have been better off if they stuck to looking like the constitution or daedeulus class...or even the botany bay---hey its the right era.

No, it's 150 years too late to be a DY-100. Spock said, in "Space Seed," that the last DY-100 was launched in the 1990s.

quote:

But, whatever i'm going into the new series having already cleared my mind of everything from TOS---just pretend TOS never happened and you be fine integrating this new show.

Or, like me, you can just happily integrate this show into the timeline without difficulty, since (so far) it violates no continuity.

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Admiral:
It maybe an absolute beauty of a ship, but it does not fit in with what one would 'perceive' a 22nd century, pre-Federation starship to look like.

You mean, it does not fit in with what you would perceive a twenty-second century, pre-Federation starship to look like. Although I have issues with some of the design, it fits rather well into my ideas about what a twenty-second century starship would look like. Speak for yourself.

quote:

I had really hoped this Akira connection was to be an exaggeration. But now I see it is basically the Akira shape with bunch of stuff added to give it the impression of having some pre-TOS themes.

The Enterprise-A, -B, -D, -E, and Voyager are basically the Constitution shape with a bunch of stuff added on to give them the impression of having some post-TOS themes. I still don't get why everybody thinks a lineage along the primary/secondary/nacelles theme is okay while a lineage along the primary/catamaran/nacelles theme is somehow not.

quote:

The only solution die-hards like me may come up with is that 200 years later they commissioned the Akira Class as a kind of homage to this first Enterprise Class. That I could accept.

And that's quite obviously what happened, "in character," at least. Or (and I'm simplifying here for the sake of example), there are three basic planforms a starship works well in, the "Akira," the "Miranda," and the "Constitution." There are countless derivatives of the "Constitution," quite a few "Mirandas," and now two "Akiras." For that matter, other than the catamran, the ship isn't and "Akira," since the nacelles fit the "Constitution" planform!

quote:

For this to be accepted though, I want to see other class ships from this time period that exhibit a more familar design lineage, such as the Daedalus and pseudo-Constitutions etc.

Personally, I'd like to see the Daedalus done up with Enterprise-style hull plating and coloration.

quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
Well, the heavy aztecking could be the result that this is an artist's conception of the model. I have one of the Enterprise-D and it's heavily aztecked as well. I'd bet the filming miniature is a bit smoother.

There is no filming miniature. Enterprise is Star Trek's first all-CGI lead ship. I think it's a fair bet that we're looking at the final mesh and textures.

-=Ryan McReynolds=-

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Olympic class was a redo of the Deadalus class. Those two ships have a big gap in between them as well...

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so the ship looks really sweet. It does pose some problems in terms of continutiy as this kind of hull geometry is supposed to come along much later on.

However, I'm sure we'll all get over it.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks quite clear to me that the shuttle bay(s) is on the aft end of the saucer between the catamaran thingies. You can see yellow markings that makes it look a helluva lot like a landing area. As for the doors on the sides, could be that the weapons are in there. When the weapons are needed the doors open and the lasers/phasers slide out.

Of course, I'm not sure it makes sense to shine a spot light on your defensive systems...

OOh! I just noticed. There appear to be blue glowies on the sides of the nacelles too. they look like rings wrapped around the nacelle that run most of it's length.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masao: Look... http://flare.solareclipse.net/cgi2/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=001293 =]

--------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."
Kosh: "Good."

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

No Ryan, this is in basic terms a ripoff of an Akira Class starship. We've never seen anything in 200 years since this Enterprise time period to suggest ANY ship having the attributes of an Akira. This is a brand new design concept from the mid 24th century. They thought, "wow, this is cool, let's just use that because the fans love it". There's was absolutely no effort, research or respect given to 200 years of chronological history, no respect given to 200 years of starship design evolution, and no repsect given to 30 years of Star Trek, and it was capped by basically showing a middle finger to TOS which started it all.

--------------------

The ASDB

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heresy!

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red Admiral, the horse is dead. Please quit beating the hell out of it. I hate to break this to you, but you're ranting and flaming the efforts of the people creating this new series are deeply flawed. What we have seen in Star Trek is NOT a representative sample of the Trek universe. If you were the Trek historian you claim to be, you would recognize this fact.

What's really getting to me is that there are people like Ryan taking the time to post well-thought responses to the points being raised by the people who are trashing the new series. And what does his hard work get him? It gets him a post like your's where you launch into a diatribe against the producers and say that they're giving all of us the middle finger. Get over your bad self.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Admiral:
No Ryan, this is in basic terms a ripoff of an Akira Class starship.

Please read my thread, "Enterprise/Akira" and feel free to comment on the ways in which the Enterprise rips off the Akira. I think I go through every significant design element over there. It's very easy to say "The Enterprise is a ripoff of the Akira" without actually saying how it is a ripoff.

-=Ryan McReynolds=-

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: Ryan McReynolds ]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps