Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Show of hands on new Enterprise (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Show of hands on new Enterprise
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, Masao, dozens of people have already registered their opinions in, what, six? seven? individual threads? Threads in which they can explain how they feel and more importantly why? Beating the dead horse again and trying to divide the forum into two camps is stunningly counterproductive.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Counterproductive, divisive, and pointless?: granted. But I still want to have everything in one place. I know! Let's vote anonymously!
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we might as well have everyone's basic opinion recorded in one place. That way if the show actually turns out to be halfway-decent, you can laugh at us; on the other hand, if it makes Voyager look watchable, every time you lot complain about it we can throw this in your faces. 8)

No, by the way.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez, people, the ship is perfectly fine. (That does count as a YES vote).

You honestly expect Paramount to produce a series with ships that look like the Daedalus? Yeah, that'll really attract viewers...

And if you think the ship looks "too modern", then need I remind you of the SABER, AKIRA, STEAMRUNNER, and NORWAY classes we all had to bitch about when First Contact came out?

Honestly, think about it. What was the ONLY Federation starship class we saw in TOS? The Constitution. NO other classes was seen. Therefore, where do you people suddenly get the idea that EVERY TOS ship should look like that? Just because all the RPG groups designed ships that were almost exactly the same, doesn't mean they are right! That's why they aren't canon in the slightest!

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuck no!

Stylistically, I don't mind as much as many in here (although the manymanymanymany specific Akira-details make me twitch). But generally, the ship is way to frikkin' big and way too frikkin' flat. I know we weren't supposed to elaborate, but that's as close to a one-word answer you're going to get from me on this travesty.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All other pre-TOS ships were pretty flat. And this is an expirimental new ship, it's bound to be different. Also it has a crew of about 60 to 70. What's wrong with a starship in that time that is shorter than 300 meters? They have build hundreds if not thousands of seaships that are much larger than that already...

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Name me a flat pre-TOS ship. The Phoenix was cylindrical. The Daedalus class has a spherical primary hull attached via a cylinder to a cylinrical secondary hull. If the Oberth's registry is anything to go by, they were up to flattened hemispheres some time before TOS, but the further back one goes, the rounder the ships get and the smaller the ships get. To see a fully-realized disc-saucer primary hull of comparable size to the Constitution class on a ship that supposedly predates the Daedalus class is -- in a word -- wrong.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also the Enterprise looks absolutely great to me. I think taking the Akira design was an excelent idea.

Could they have gone for a totally different design? Yes.

Could they have gone for a traditional Enterprise design? Most probably no.

Does this look like a predecesor (sp?) of the TOS Enterprise? Yes.

Does this design fit the time period? Yes.

I don't care much about it having much more detail then the TOS Enterprise. I care more about the Klingon heads than the details of the pre-Enterprise. But if you explain it like "It was what Gene intended to be, but he had no resources to do it", that's fine by me

Put me up for a big fat 'I love this ship, it fits in the period'

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate it. I also think the Daedalus wouldn't look to good there, either. My feelig is that the designers were drunkat the time. Or doing drugs. The Akira is a modern class.

--------------------
Meh

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate it!

I was wishing and wishing for the series to take place in the future after Voyager and we get an akira like ship...

but this took that and turn it into a nightmare
honestly i didn't mind seeing crude box like ships like the Botany Bay for the series---so many other sci fi series have ships like those...

Its like the producers are trying to satisfy both crowds by giving a pre TOS series yet including a modern looking ship.

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It just seems very unimaginative to me. It seems like something a fanboy could come up with in a few minutes...

...and the whole NX-01?!

Oh well, I can live with it, but I was expecting something more...creative.

NeghVar
Member # 62

- posted      Profile for NeghVar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually...we did get to see another Starfleet starship...anyone remember the "Aurora?" You know, the Tholian ship flying backwards with Starfleet warp nacelles strapped to it?

Frankly, the NX-01 Enterprise looks a hell of a lot better than the Aurora, the Daedalus, or anything else they might have envisioned in the 60's when TOS was being conceived (with the exception of the big three; the Constitution class, the Romulan BOP, and the Klingon D7).

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can live with it too, but that doesn't mean I like it.

--------------------
Meh

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez, you people. You want a starship to look as extremely cheap and plain as possible. Lets make a plane, small saucer, attach an engineering hull to it with a neck, and put on two simple nacelles. Yeah, that'll really help it in the ratings against shows like Andromeda or FarScape.

And as for the ship having a flat saucer in a pre-TOS timeline....doesn't the spherical saucer of the Olympic sort of stand out in the 24th century? But I don't see you going and saying that's wrong, Peregrinus.

Do you people SERIOUSLY think that everyone who works at Paramount is retarded? I mean, these guys were hired FOR A REASON. Obviously they thought this was the right direction and the right design for the show, and since they make the bloody show, IT'S THEIR CHOICE. Just because it doesn't fit OUR views of what the pre-TOS period should look like doesn't mean theirs is the same. We have to adapt ours to fit theirs, since they are the ones making the story.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No and Yes (sorry).

Would I have picked this design out of a hat? No. I find it loks too post-TOS.
Will I be doing deck plans? Yes - it looks good and is complex.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps