Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Show of hands on new Enterprise (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Show of hands on new Enterprise
USSdefiant
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, he wanted this thread to be just yes and no, but by the second page, we are already having a real discussion about this. Ok, we now pretty much know that they screwed up from the point of view of a true trekkie/trekker. We all love the show a little bit too much, but it is not a bad thing really(every human has to love something a little too much). I think that we would all love for this to be real somehow(I am pretty sure that there being alternate quantum universes is a real theory, although I did like the movie Galaxy Quest), but we really do have to remember sometimes that they have to stay in business. We the trekkies and trekkers of Startrek have to remember that we do not make up much of the viewing population that contrubutes so they people at Paramount Pictures can get paid and feed their family. Sometimes we will just have to deal with a small error that will make enough money for them to keep the show going. Other viewers will love the new ship and we have to accept that. We should either stop getting pisted at this small problem because we know they won't change it or we can admit that we are just doing this to let out some steam.
IP: Logged
Delta Vega
Member # 283

- posted      Profile for Delta Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*registers vote*
I think it's alright. Not the best, but it'll do.
*thinks the vague answer may spare him*

--------------------
"Sometimes I think I might like to be evil and all, but that's not the way to think, 'ya know?"
-AA, from IRC on March 3rd, 2001

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In one of the Enterprise posts, I had originally said how disappointed I was at the design. On reflection, however, I think I was a little too harsh. I was basing my thoughts on The_Tom's blurry scan, which actually made the ship look WAY more like the Akira then the TV Guide poster did.

In retrospect, looking at the poster, I can actually see that it does look more like a pre-design (Check out some of the 22nd century ships at Steve Pugh's site and you'll see what I mean). I'm still not happy that it's shaped like the Akira from above, and I still also think that the "pod" thing at the rear of the ship looks too anachronistic. But I'm starting to like the design a little more. And who knows? Since this ship seems to be a prototype, any other Starfleet ship we see should be a different design anyway. So maybe we will get to see a plethora of "new" ship designs which have been badly lacking in recent years.

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't get me wrong, I think it's a kickass design -- for a contemporary of the TOS Constitution!

--Jonah

P.S. I don't have a problem with the Olympic class having a spherical primary hull because the Daedalus already established that as a possibility two hundred years before. Everything in canon and fandom up to this point, however, indicates the perfected disc-saucer was a product of the 23rd century.

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO NO NO

too bad I can only vote once

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peregrinus, what canon says that no ships in the 22nd century had saucers? Just because Daedalus had a sphere doesn't mean EVERY class at the time had a sphere...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I said I didn't like the "Akira connection." I didn't say the class should be boriing or that the Akira design wasn't cool.

--------------------
Meh

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brandon:

Just who the hell's side are you on, anyway?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Do you people SERIOUSLY think that everyone who works at Paramount is retarded? I mean, these guys were hired FOR A REASON.

I'm bettin' you're not a big fan of Dilbert.

Oh yeah, and I say NO

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: Stingray ]

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Just who the hell's side are you on, anyway?

If one phrase summed up the problem with some of the people here when it comes to talking about something rationally, that's it.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.