Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ganda/er (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ganda/er
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, in "Penumbra," we have a new runabout. When Sisko talks about it, it sounds like it's the Ganda. When Ezri talks about it, it sounds like the Gander. Sisko enunciates the name, though, and Ezri really doesn't.

Now, originally I proposed that Ezri had a Boston accent, and so she changed the -a to -er. However, I noticed the reason is simpler. Ezri says, "Ganda/er here." (sound) Now try saying "Ganda here" as quickly as Ezri does. You can't! The -a will, by default, be changed to a sort of -er sound. Try it. Get a tape recorder if you can. BTW, I'm talking about normal, everyday North US/Canadian accents here, which is more or less what Ezri has. This also applies to many British and Australian accents, for example, but I don't do, say, Hispanic or Southern or any other type of an accent, so I can't tell with those.

On the other hand, Sisko does like to change -er sounds to -a. Listen to him when he says "order" in that same scene. (sound)

I still think it's Ganda, though.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Ultra Magnus: "I know you're bored, Rodimus, but with the mantle of leadership comes obligations."
Rodimus Prime: "I don't suppose I could interest you in a used mantle?"

Simon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a Ganda river anywhere? There certainly is a Gander.
IP: Logged
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's Ganda too.

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Err... I think I need to get my ears checked...

I actually could see how Sisko's second "Ganda/er" could be a "Gander."

Hmm... the "order" part is interesting.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll keep it Gander just since I need something for the moment.

*is somewhat undecided*

------------------
"Audaces fortuna juvat."
"Fortune favours the bold."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you people forgetting that Picard periodically called Data Dater? This could be the same thing, with Ezri calling the Ganda Gander.

------------------
Starfleet Corps of Engineers-Spacecraft Division
www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/9266

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am."
-Darth Vader, Return of the Jedi
"Everything is proceeding as I have forseen."
-Emperor Palpatine, Return of the Jedi

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fabrux: Exactly. It's both a regional accent thing and has to do with the difficulty of pronouncing certain syllables near other syllables.

------------------
Ultra Magnus: "I know you're bored, Rodimus, but with the mantle of leadership comes obligations."

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah.. except Canadians are known to have better pronounciation than Americans...

------------------
"......"
�������������-The Breen at Internment Camp 371

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Yes, but you're a bit biased, eh?

The way Ezri says the sentence does not really allow good pronounciation anyway...

------------------

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does our closed captioning report say?

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Ganges. No help there.

------------------

Captain Syrus
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well....I can't find any record of a Ganda River...but there is deffinatly a Gander...and if you listen closely you can hear Ezri say "Gander Here..." I say it's Gander.....

------------------
Sometimes you just have to be your self....other times be like your friends and scare your parents.

IP: Logged
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though I can find no reference to any Ganda river, I am sticking with what Sisko said :P

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ganda is actually the native language of Uganda people, or bagandas. Its also known as Luganda, but go figure...

I say its Gander, cuz it makes more sense.

------------------
Jeff Raven - Having more fun than any human being should be allowed to have

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they've finally used an alien river. . .

Isn't there a Uganda River? Could that be it?

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ganda is the largest population group of Uganda:
http://www.grmi.org/~jhanna/obj16.htm
A Ganda or Uganda river doesn't exist according to my quick research.

------------------
I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer. (McCoy in "Devil in the Dark")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps