Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » NX-01???? The registry number dance continues. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: NX-01???? The registry number dance continues.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Admiral:
I only pointed to the Excelsior as a marker. For if you use this new Enterprise at NX 01, and then acknowledge the Excelsior some 130 years later as 2000, how then do you account for a jump to 11000 in twenty or thrity years. This was the point I was making if only you would read it properly.

Oh, I read it properly. That's why I pointed out that there is no jump, there is a clear progression up through the numbers. Furthermore, after this period of acceleration, the numbers increase at roughly 1000 per year. The answer is simple: starship prodcution dramatically increased during the 2280s and maintained the higher pace for a century. As to why, I have no idea.

-=Ryan McReynolds=-

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no problem with starfleet all of a sudden launching drastically more ships than 100 years before

When an organization gets stronger and bigger and has more resources it produces more ships.

Plus, half of those thousand ships could be some kind of runabout...they are ships and fit into the registry scheme.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The obvious answer is that the Constitution class ship had a registry lower than 956

Because there was a TNG episode where the screen showed a TOS Connie w/ Constitution NCC-1700. I don't recall the episode, but I do know it came up in discussion as onscreen canon and pretty clearly visible. Sorry, TSN It would be easier.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stingray- Which TNG episode is this? I wanna know which because it's not one I've seen.

Ryan: Your theory I know of, and its one I've postulated before, but I don't completely buy it. I'm aware of the ships which have reg's of NCC 5***, NCC 9*** etc. But it would mean that if they were originally chronological they built 2000 ships in little over a century, then built four times that figure in like thiry years. I think something more involved has to really be going on, perhaps pointing to an alteration to the registry scheme.

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: The Red Admiral ]

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Admiral:
Ryan: Your theory I know of, and its one I've postulated before, but I don't completely buy it. I'm aware of the ships which have reg's of NCC 5***, NCC 9*** etc. But it would mean that if they were originally chronological they built 2000 ships in little over a century, then built four times that figure in like thiry years. I think something more involved has to really be going on, perhaps pointing to an alteration to the registry scheme.

Ever hear of Occam's Razor? Don't multiply hypotheses if you don't have to. There isn't a need for a registry change to fit the evidence, so I don't assume one.

The topic of why Starfleet's registration increased could be as simple as including ships below a certain size (like proto-runabouts) that, previously, weren't included. Regardless, it is a topic that I haven't given much thought to and I'm not going to speculate further at the moment.

-=Ryan McReynolds=-

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here here, Ryan. I whole heartdely back up your post. Unfortunetly, I can think of no other way besides the reuse of registries in the early days (other than other alternate proposed theories like upgrading ships of other class to Connie, which is much worse in my opinion.

As for the episode, like I said above I don't recall it. I would need somebody to help me out on that.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The episode is "Datalore".
The computer screen is seen when Lore accesses the Enterprise's computers for information.
The ship is seen from above. She is a refit and her registry is NCC-1700. There is no name.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just know I'm gonna end up being crucified or something, because I know it must be really annoying for you guys to have me keep doing this, but:

THE ENCYCLOPEDIA AND EVERY OTHER OFFICIAL SOURCE SAYS THAT THE NCC-1700 IS THE CONSTITUTION-CLASS PROTOTYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But what about Holmes's Razor?

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Does that apply here? (Honest question, not being sarcastic or anything.)

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monkey: The Encyclopedia is not canon. Period.

Stingray: I'm not saying there wasn't a USS Constitution numbered NCC-1700. I'm just saying there was a different USS Constitution w/ a lower registry, and that one was the class ship. It would have been destroyed or something before the 1700 was launched.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many people in here actually know the real-world history of registries, particularly those of the Constitution class, and why those ships in particular are all messed up?

Thought I'd ask first instead of just launching into the essay.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The original "NCC-1701" was based off an airplane registry (except the original only had "NC"; the other 'C' was thrown it to make it look better). The reason they're "messed up" is that, when they made the Constellation, they just rearranged the numbers in an Enterprise model kit, and used "1017" rather than, say, "1710".
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The episode is "Datalore".
The computer screen is seen when Lore accesses the Enterprise's computers for information.
The ship is seen from above. She is a refit and her registry is NCC-1700. There is no name."

Now, call me crazy, but that doesn't actually say that the NCC-1700 was called the Constitution because, apart form it being a refit, it doesn't say the name.

Isn't the Constitutions registry of NCC-1700 just about visible on a computer screen in Space Seed?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The extra "C" on NCC might't, as the encyclopedia implies, have simply been thrown in to look good. I remember reading that NCC was an amalgam of the American (NC) and Soviet (CCC) civil aviation codes, because Jeffries thought it was only fitting that the two pioneer nations of space travel might have cooperated in developing space travel in the future.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps