Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Enterprise/Akira: It's probably our fault...

Author Topic: Enterprise/Akira: It's probably our fault...
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back during the fallout about First Contact, there were a lot of fans on various sites asking opinions about "which is the coolest-looking starship?" - and a lot of us said the Akira.

Now I've got a nasty hunch at least one of the inquirers was a Paramount flunky doing a survey[Hmmm, we have to design a new Enterprise. Let's do a demographic analysis with the fanboys and see which design they like the most, and then create it's ancestor].

Other than a complete lack of originality (which I find hard to believe), I can find no better theory to explain the similarities.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes , Its Called Market Analysis , and companies do it all the time.

Give the People What they want.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is the complete antithesis of Star Trek though... re: giving them what they want.

1. Boldy Go where no one has gone before not rehash what everyone has done before

2. IDIC, infinite diversity; infinite combinations.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well yeah... they're giving fanboys what they want. When Seven came on Voyager their ratings went up like the buldge in 13-year-old horney teenagers pants. So what do they do? Give us T'pol, who suppose to be even more sexier than Seven. Fanboys like Wes1701E obsess over the Akira, so we get the USS Akiraprise. And since NX is considered cooler than NCC they're giving us that too.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we sould shut up in future... Lol. Not that I'm complaining about Seven, of course.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Its the Antitheisis of Trek"

Uhh I think thats what these producers are going for.

Star Trek isnt some artistic masterpiece with unflapable credability , its a campy scifi series.

I'm sure back when TOS was coming out they conducted countless surveys and discovered that if they found some creative way for Kirks Shirt to come off every other episode they would attract female viewers , and if they brought in a weekly hot alien chick to go along with Kirk they would attract a male audiance , its just Human nature.

Star Trek is a Business like any other , give the public what it wants.

Its an Entertainment Franchise , people make what they want out of it.

Some make it into this Huge artistic masterpeice and a guide book to our future.

Others , who dont wear rose colored glasses look at it for what it is.

A Campy TV show with some cool episodes and some cool technology and ships.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually Hobbes, NX stands for prototype starships (ones not yet in production). Remember the Excelsior? NX-2000. It became NCC-2000 later.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be willing to bet that Hobbes knew that. His (slightly sarcastic) point was that NX is considered, for want of a better word, cooler.

It has 3 things going for it.

The Excelsior (which was quite cool)
The Defiant (which was very cool)
The letter X (which is cool by default)

What more do you want?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Enterprise was brought to you by the letters N, X and the number 01!"

Tune in next week when Count Von Count attempts to count the number of starships to bear the name Enterprise. . . 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps