Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Alright, back inside folks... ($-Enterprise)

Author Topic: Alright, back inside folks... ($-Enterprise)
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's enough commentary on the thing's exterior, thank-you very much. Startrek.com has posted some nice clear shots of the inside of the E-(-A)'s engine room here

Some quick questions/points:

• Clearly Okuda, Zimmerman and Blackman swore a pact to boldly put purple where purple hasn't gone gone before: The computer interface, the core lighting, and possibly the uniforms. Good to have things shaken up a bit.

• What the hell's written underneath the "Power Distrib" title on that sign plaque?

• Anyone think there could be a third level below the main one? Certainly seems to be stuff far below the core peeping through.

• Suggestions for how the matter/antimatter injectors work into the core design?

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
    "I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

• Siegfried
    Fullmetal Pompatus
    Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    It's an interesting mix of colors, to say the least. I think it looks pretty good. I really like the interaction of the copper, gold, silver, and purple.

It would seem that there is a third level or at least a mini level beneath the main level of the engine room. Looking at the shape of the ceiling and how it transitions into the walls, it suggests that the engine room may be in the pod between the catamarans.

I think the two tubes shooting out the top of the core are supposed to be the power transfer conduits. If so and if the engine room is in the pod, those conduits are going to be almost W-shaped to reach the nacelles. Of course, those could just as easily be the flow tubes for the reactants. It's hard to tell just from looking at a picture.

I've staring at that Power Distrib marker for a few seconds now. It looks like the second word under Power Distrib could be Quad. It's definitely a four-letter word with the last two letters being A and D. The first word to me looks like it could be electrical or injector.

Obese Penguin
    Doomsayer
    Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Looks like OSHA got to Starfleet , that place is more accesable to the handicapped then the lobby at work.

So Many Railings...

As for the "Sub Deck" under the Warp Core , yeah i think i do kinda see a craw space , some kind of utility tunnel.

--------------------
    My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

TSN
    I'm... from Earth.
    Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    The first word under "POWER DISTRIB" is clearly "SYSTEMS". The other looks like "HEAD" to me, but I'm not sure of that.
    Lee
    I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
    Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    That thing in the sixth picture had better not be some cute robot, or I will really go mad.

--------------------
    Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
    Former ascended being
    Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    AAAAHAHAHAH. "Biddy, Biddy, Biddy...What's up Buck?! I mean Sam?! I mean Jonathon?!"

Actually, It looks to me like some kind of utility cart that will fall over every time the ship gets hit.

--------------------
    "Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
    The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

TheF0rce
    Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    they seemed to have also got rid of the sliding doors....that might not be new news to anyone.
    Michael Dracon
    aka: NightWing or Altair
    Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    quote:
    Actually, It looks to me like some kind of utility cart that will fall over every time the ship gets hit.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

--------------------
    "And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
    "OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Treknophyle
    Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Okay, as anyone can tell by my tag, I'm a tad anal about the tech aspect of Trek...

GOD, I LOVE THAT ENGINEERING ROOM.

That felt good.

If the scripts match the attention to detail shown in these sets, we have a winner.

--------------------
    'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

J
    Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    It's too bad that they didn't pay such attention to the Exterior, Technophyle.

--------------------
    Later, J
    _ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
    The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
    http://webj.cjb.net

TSN
    I'm... from Earth.
    Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Well, like I've told other people, I'll just close my eyes whenever they do an exterior shot. Then everything should be okay. :-)
    The_Tom
    recently silent
    Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    *Ah-hem!*

Anyway, the room stops shortly after the Power Transfer Conduits, leading me to believe the core continues behind that big glowy wall. Would it be reasonable to assume the big bad antimatter is kept back there while the more benign matter is injected from this end?

--------------------
    "I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Siegfried
    Fullmetal Pompatus
    Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    I'm guessing that you may be right, Tom. Of course, it could just be perceptive distortion that is causing the set to end just after the conduits. If the antimatter is behind that wall, I think this gives some credence to the engine room being in the pod. That way, the antimatter can be ejected right behind the ship without hitting anything. Of course, that'll look really weird on film.

Quick Reply
    HTML is enabled.
    UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps